Gibson Brands Forums

Authentic or fake Gibson LP

Kurital

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This place needs only 5 threads:

1. Is my guitar fake?

2. What ________ should I get? Could be picks, strings, a Gibson model ect.

3. How did this get past QA?

4. NGD

5. I saw the Mothman.

That's it.

A couple of hours ago I was going to reply to this to say you still always find a way to make it about you. 

Oh look. In the meantime you've done it. 

Edited by Farnsbarns

8 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

A couple of hours ago I was going to reply to this to say you still always find a way to make it about you. 

Oh look. You made that point for me. 

How are any of those statements about me? Murph saw the Mothman.

I think all we have are our own experiences? I'm not Mr. Spock and can't do the Vulcan Mind Meld with you.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm no guitar expert but it looks real to me. But if in doubt, Why not call Gibson Customer Service and settle it? or Email them. Don't know if numbers have changed over the years but the last time it was:   1-800-4GIBSON. Or, Service@gibson.com.  way back I bought a GT that I suspected was brand new and a Standard. Which the confirmed with the date made. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How are any of those statements about me?

Here's a short list that you can start working on.

You got some serious issues, boss.  Anonymity is your shield from reality.  You're not Mr. Congeniality.  Half of what you say is about some kind of problem you have with somebody.  What you just said is what a twelve year old says.

The first thing you say to a new poster on here is some kind of insult.  

I have an electrical problem I was going to ask you about but I don't need your help that bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Careful Badbluesplayer.  I know your a pro with rebuilding amps and electronics and know what your doing. My wife bought me a back massager that's battery operated.  I tested it by putting one pad on my wrist. I turned it on and NOTHING. So cranked it up 2 numbers & NOTHING again.  Then 2 more & still NOTHING.  So I though, this thing doesn't work. Then I cranked it full volume and it was like sticking my wrist all the way up an outlet switch. Man that hurt and I couldn't rip it off fast enough. It was like getting electrocuted.

I told Deb, she needs to try it and NO GO, Lol

3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I have an electrical problem I was going to ask you about but I don't need your help that bad.

I thought you were an amp fix it guy? Amps last I checked had electrical and electronic parts in them. What do you need to ask me about if you already work with electricity? I'm just a dummy who was trained by the military.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:56 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've asked, and some admit to posting it, but most post an emoji and run instead of typing words to explain their emotion. 

I just added the confused one just cos it looks cool with ALL the emojis and you dont usually see more than one or two different ones at a go  😄 

Now you just need a smiley face and an upvote and you may be the first person on here to ever have the whole set on one comment...  Forum history....

Edited by Rabs
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kurital said:

What happened in this thread...

I'll read it later

Anyway I got my guitar! It is truly a beauty! 

I'll upload some photos.

Please help me identifying it cause I'm new to Gibson brand

Glad you are happy with it. As mentioned by me and others… take the truss rod cover off and see if there is a 5/16” nut there and if so, congratulations on owning a beautiful new Gibson Les Paul. There appears to be “wings” as it has been called looking at the back of the headstock which is a Gibson thing - great positive indicator. The S/N is stamped in a way Gibson would do… that’s about all that can be said based on what you provided. What about paperwork that comes with the guitar? Just other things that help validate it. Can call Gibson too… give them the serial number. But first and foremost, look behind the truss rod cover…

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Glad you are happy with it. As mentioned by me and others… take the truss rod cover off and see if there is a 5/16” nut there and if so, congratulations on owning a beautiful new Gibson Les Paul. There appears to be “wings” as it has been called looking at the back of the headstock which is a Gibson thing - great positive indicator. The S/N is stamped in a way Gibson would do… that’s about all that can be said based on what you provided. What about paperwork that comes with the guitar? Just other things that help validate it. Can call Gibson too… give them the serial number. But first and foremost, look behind the truss rod cover…

Thanks so much for helping ! However,  a rookie like me dares not to , screw something off the guitar (the truss rod cover).  I'll try to upload pics. 

I've emailed Gibson with the serial number, they have confirmed that it's an authentic guitar. But, we all know that SN# can be on a fake one, too. 

In my bad, I've got some certificates, a photo of this guitar in the factory where it was made, I think, a pickguard, a truss rod cover with no Slash's signature, some Slash's pickups, a tool, and an owner's manual. I think that's all.

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Thanks again, I learned a lot from u ! I cannot see the "wings"  due to the finishing , I guess at least that's to my eyes. Gibson staff also confirmed with all the pics I sent to them via email.

• Like 1