Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Standard 2012

MackTheKnife

Hi,

I have the opportunity to buy a used  Gibson Flying V made in 2012, standard series, with 496R/500T  pickups.

I don’t know alot about Flying Vs or if this was a good or consistent model year.

I want to play blues and rock music on it, and maybe also use it for metal.

The guitar has some light wear on the back but is otherwise ok.

Update:  The shop informed me that the frets are ok, but a bit uneven across the fretboard. They want to correct it, but the original owner doesn't want them to do that, but says I can make an offer for  a discount.

I have no idea how much discount I can ask for.

What would be an OK price for it?

They originally asked for 1250 Euros.

Are there any other Flying Vs I should look at? 

I have no problems with Epiphones as long as they sound and play right.

How does this model compare to the current 70s or 80s Tribute Flying Vs and the Epipjone 1958 Korina Flying V?  The latter sounds really interesting to me.

Screenshot_20231125_111346_edit_113107793043678.jpg.0537b9eb2209490e59cc34ce21c25437.jpg

Edited by MackTheKnife

$1250Euros sounds a bit low , but Gibson V’s on Revb USA show around $2100usd. 

I have an Epiphone Korina Flying V , there are some build differences with the Epip 

I’d say not quite as finished as a Gibson but it’s a lot lower in price, as I can see some router marks inside the control cavity 

I had a bit of issues lowering the bridge due to the way the pick guard hole was made too small

the Epip has lower powered vintage pickups, probably not good for metal

the Gibson you mention has hotter pickups and should be good for that

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

From that photo, it looks kind of beat up.

Those are hot pick ups, that's a guitar for metal.

Thanks for weighing in. It's pretty clean apart from that photo. I'd love to upload more  but the file size limitation is preventing me from doing so.

Edited by MackTheKnife

2012 = laminated fret board. Walk away, especially if there's fret problems. The fret board may well fall apart when frets are pulled out. I'd also be asking, if the unknown "fret work" is just a level, why would they not want to do it? My guess, it needs an actual refret and they would rather palm that risk off. 

for more photos, go to imgbb.com, upload, copy the bbcode, remove everything except http://blahblah/blah/file.jpg - hit return, the forum software will embed your image. 

Edited by Farnsbarns

20 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

@FarnsbarnsThanks for chiming in  and the info on how upload pics.

The shop asked the original owner if they can do the leveling, but he doesn't want them to do it.

When someone is telling me something illogical, they're usually telling me a lie. 

I'd find another one for sale. I wouldn't buy any 2012 (rosewood board) Gibson, full stop. If it doesn't need a fret pulling now, it will eventually.

In case you don't know, Gibson got raided in early 2012 and had all their rosewood fretboard blanks confiscated and were blocked from importing any more from India. The only answer they had was to glue two thinner pieces of rosewood together. Then they cut the fret slots, turning the top layer into a series of blocks, glued to the layer underneath. You can imagine the risks involved with pulling the frets, especially the high ones where these 'blocks' are tiny.

The ebony boarded models were all ritchlite at that time, as an aside.  

Edited by Farnsbarns

Looking at your pics again. There's no binding so it may not be two layers of rosewood. The alternative is pau ferro or baked maple which would also put me off. Which ever of the 2012 compromises it is.

3 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

Thanks I didn't know that. When did Gibson go back to solid wood fretboards?

2013. They got the blanks back and made the government series of grey guitars with them. If you search far enough back you might find a post in 2012 where I had the same idea and suggested it. [lol]

On 11/26/2023 at 8:25 AM, MackTheKnife said:

Thanks I didn't know that. When did Gibson go back to solid wood fretboards?

I think right after King Henry's reign was over and he was  forced to step down, then they went back to it when JC righted the ship.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave F said:

According to the specs, it's Torrefied Granadillo

Flying V 2018 (gibson.com)

I knew there was 2 torrefied woods. You reminded me, maple and granadillo.

Sadly, any laminated rosewood, baked maple/granadillo or Pau ferro will always effect the value because there's always a 2011 or a 2013, with no "compromise".

Laminated rosewood is actually a real problem as I described already.