Gibson Brands Forums

NGD ES-335 Vintage Burst

Avi

Hello Everyone 🙂

Celebrating my 40th birthday tomorrow (Dec' 12) and what could be a better present than this beauty???

Setup out of the box is spot on (to my taste).

Fit and finish is flawless as far as I can see it.

And most important, it feels and sounds just great.

QC was definitely done right here. Worth every cent. 

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-11 at 22.54.25.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-11 at 22.54.26 (1).jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Congrats!  New?

Yep. Brand new 2023.

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Always so intriguing - which pic-ups do we hear ?

They call it T-type I believe. 

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Very nice and Happy Birthday.

Thanks!! 🙂

39 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Sweet!

Indeed. Smells sweet for sure 😉

Sweet!  

I did something similar to celebrate my retirement two years ago.  Except it was a new (2021) ES-345 (I couldn't resist the allure of split parallelogram fret markers...)

I was also very happy with the "fit and finish" out of the factory.  For a non-figured top, there was some nice (if subtle) "regular" grain in the wood.  I think the calibrated T-type pups are a bit brighter than traditional 335 pups, but rolling back the tone knobs a bit seems to solve that.  And if you ever want a bit of extra brightness, it's there.

I love the look of Vintage Burst - I think I would have slightly preferred amber knobs, rather than the black with reflector tops, but the overall look is beautiful.

It was actually my wife's idea to get the guitar.  I had a T-shirt that showed four guitar headstock outlines (with the caption "Diversified Portfolio") - a Tele, a Strat, a PRS, and a Gibson.  The one I didn't own was the Gibson.  (Actually, my T- and S-type guitars are non-Fender "copies", but the PRS is actual....).  I debated back and forth between a Les Paul and a 335-type, and ended up getting the 345 as it was going to be "more different" than what I already owned.  My PRS Custom 24 isn't exactly a Les Paul, but as a dual-humbucker solid body, with similar materials to a Les Paul, it's in the same tonal ball-park....  In any case, the 345 is my first semi-hollowbody.

I'm glad I got it when I did, as I got a good deal, and list prices have been raised twice since then.

Edited by rschleicher

On 12/12/2023 at 9:21 PM, rschleicher said:

Sweet!  

I did something similar to celebrate my retirement two years ago.  Except it was a new (2021) ES-345 (I couldn't resist the allure of split parallelogram fret markers...)

I was also very happy with the "fit and finish" out of the factory.  For a non-figured top, there was some nice (if subtle) "regular" grain in the wood.  I think the calibrated T-type pups are a bit brighter than traditional 335 pups, but rolling back the tone knobs a bit seems to solve that.  And if you ever want a bit of extra brightness, it's there.

I love the look of Vintage Burst - I think I would have slightly preferred amber knobs, rather than the black with reflector tops, but the overall look is beautiful.

It was actually my wife's idea to get the guitar.  I had a T-shirt that showed four guitar headstock outlines (with the caption "Diversified Portfolio") - a Tele, a Strat, a PRS, and a Gibson.  The one I didn't own was the Gibson.  (Actually, my T- and S-type guitars are non-Fender "copies", but the PRS is actual....).  I debated back and forth between a Les Paul and a 335-type, and ended up getting the 345 as it was going to be "more different" than what I already owned.  My PRS Custom 24 isn't exactly a Les Paul, but as a dual-humbucker solid body, with similar materials to a Les Paul, it's in the same tonal ball-park....  In any case, the 345 is my first semi-hollowbody.

I'm glad I got it when I did, as I got a good deal, and list prices have been raised twice since then.

Great story 🙂

I also got some beautiful flames which got me surprised on both back and front of the body!

And I'm also familiar with the 335/LP debate for several years now.

This time I knew I'm going with the 335 and I'm so happy I did.

13 hours ago, J185cat said:

Beauty. Now we need to hear a little Crossroads on that boy.

I'm on it!! Will share a vid soon 🙂

15 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Sweet looking 335.  Great color and finish.  Congrats and Happy Belated Birthday.

Thanks a lot. Falling in love with it more and more every day that pass.

19 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

ohh!! Yes

Thats a happy birthday guarantee. Enjoy

Thanks!!

On 12/12/2023 at 7:14 PM, E-minor7 said:

Probably the so called Calibrated T-Type humbuckers. Look forward to hear what you think about them. 

Played it yesterday through a Marshall JVM.

They can get pretty bright when full on, but playing around we the knobs can definitely balance it perfectly. 

Also, the way the volume knobs affects the output is pretty amazing.

Each number on the knob is there for a reason (for a change from past experience where it's full on at 10 or a slight change when rolling back and then nothing)

Edited by Avi
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:04 AM, Avi said:

Played it yesterday through a Marshall JVM.

They can get pretty bright when full on, but playing around we the knobs can definitely balance it perfectly. 

Also, the way the volume knobs affects the output is pretty amazing.

Each number on the knob is there for a reason (for a change from past experience where it's full on at 10 or a slight change when rolling back and then nothing)

Thx. Yes lots of possibilities in those 4 knobs, , , which logic I haven't really figured. . 

Can I ask - have you noticed a film over the spanking new P-guard ?

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Thx. Yes lots of possibilities in those 4 knobs, , , which logic I haven't really figured. . 

Can I ask - have you noticed a film over the spanking new P-guard ?

Feel free to ask anything about it 🙂

Yes, I peeled it off the p-guard yesterday.

• 1 month later...