Gibson Brands Forums

Robby Krieger SG

daveinspain

I don't like it. The guitar is ridiculously overpriced, the contours and bevels are very chintzy, and the "aged" finish is phony. When I pay for a new guitar, I want a new guitar finish on it--I'll "age" it myself & put the battle scars on it. A big thumbs down to this guitar!

Pros:

- while I complain that the early/mid-60's SG reissues Gibson attempts to make lack certain aesthetics to make them TRULY accurate (lack of horn-tapers, bad finishes, etc), this one's color is pretty accurate and the bevel work is actually period-correct for the majority of later-60's models....NOW HOW COME THEY IGNORED THE "MAJORITY" OF EARLY/MID-60's AESTHETICS FOR THE HISTORIC SG?!?!?!?

- Great neck profile

- accurate bridge

Cons:

- PRE-AGED GUITARS SUCK

- Nickel hardware SHOULD be chrome on a "reissue" of a late '64 and on SG model (this one being a '68-71 style after all)

- Limited runs this small make such a guitar untouchable for most (although I wouldn't buy a pre-dented/smashed-up guitar "new" anyway)

I'll pass, but they should use this as a springboard for a late-60's Historic model when they wise-up and retool the early/mid-60's one the right way. ;) Then I'll buy one of each gladly!

H-Bomb

The aged one is much too expensive. But what about the V.O.S. version of it. It´s around 2900.- Euros over here. Still a lot of money, I know. But if I didn´t have the A.Y. and if I didn´t hate nickel hardware and if it played alright. Why not? I hate aged guitars anyway.

Greetings

Kurt

Like most people here (I think) I really do not see the point of the aged guitars. Gibson are not the only manufacturers making such things at stupid prices. Clearly they are aimed at collectors and not players but you have to have serious cash (and be really bored) to be collecting things like that.

I also dont see the point of cheaper "aged" guitars like Fender "Road worn" series and so on. If I wanted a "worn" guitar I would buy used and save some money.

i don't really see the appeal, but i guess for someone that's a big Robbie Krieger fan.. maybe...

i personally don't see the point of the aged finish (ie. fake, not real usage) and the bevels are about the nastiest I've ever seen on an SG - that's my biggest beef with it... and i'm not a fan of trems on SGs... unless it's a real '60's SG...

• 4 months later...

So I bought the VOS version of this, and from a playing, and sound point of view, I love it. *BUT*........... something was playing on my mind, somehow it didn't seem quite right, looks-wise. It's supposed to have the body of a 69-71 standard, and it does indeed have period correct half-assed horn contouring, but still something.........

Anyway, to cut a long story short I've now spotted it. The body shape is wrong. The Krieger is seemingly using a current production production template. The body width is too high on the upper bout, and to low on the lower bout. It's like the whole body shape has been slid upwards. Firstly, here's the Krieger..........

SGstandard2.jpg

Now observe the standard below (it's actually either a 67, or a 68, regardless of the horn shape. Goes to show there's no definate rule of thumb). The basic shape appears to be atypical of standards from the original batwing period.

SGstandard.jpg

Not to mention the position, and type of tuners being wrong (should be double necked tulips), as well as the logo, and crown being a bit wrong as well. It's the eternal question of attention to detail isn't it? ](*,)

I looked at the stats and the only differences between this one and the SG standard (not including material quality) are the 57s and the trem.

I think it's probably true that you could classify other differences as 'details', for sure.

They're really only half way there with the Krieger model though. I could start on about other stuff like pots, lack of lining in the control cavity, type of nitro........ I could go on, but that would be anal wouldn't it? hahahaha +:-@

But doesn't anyone around here realize that they'd be paying for a chipped' date=' beaten up, unauthentic copy of someone else's guitar?

You can buy the [i']REAL[/i] thing for around the SAME price.

You are preaching to the converted.

Completely agree

Matt

But doesn't anyone around here realize that they'd be paying for a chipped' date=' beaten up, unauthentic copy of someone else's guitar?

You can buy the [i']REAL[/i] thing for around the SAME price.

Yes, but I've bought the VOS 'tarnished' version.which is the one you get for £1849, not this one http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_22_47&products_id=5130&oscsid=1c61ab350caa86ffe728cdc0c412fd6a which is the beaten up version, and would be like paying $5,088 US. For that amount, you could indeed get the real thing in similar condition.

Yes' date=' but I've bought the VOS 'tarnished' version.which is the one you get for £1849, not this one http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_22_47&products_id=5130&oscsid=1c61ab350caa86ffe728cdc0c412fd6a which is the beaten up version, and would be like paying $5,088 US. For that amount, you could indeed get the real thing in similar condition.[/quote']

ahh thanks for the link and I stand corrected. Coda and Peter Cooks seem two of the best shops in Uk don't you reckon?

Matt

I bought three of my Gibsons from Peter Cooks! They are such nice guys; incredibly helpful and knowledgable. I even got my first decent electric there, an Ibanez RG420 when I was 13!

I was told that (Rosetti?) said that over 50 percent of their stock on show had to be Gibson, along with some other similar conditions. The guy who worked there said some guitar companies got agitated that their products were sold so cheaply, and used simialr tactics to stamp this out.

I am not a business man and don't understand the ins and outs, but Peter Cooks without Gibson is very much missed by me ):

Matt

Archived