Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Amps Coming

Rabs

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have Fender’s, Vox & Marshall Tube Amps.. I really like them all.. The more I read about t Gibson’s new Amps the more I want to try one of the Falcon 20’s… 

Go for it and while you’re at it in the store, see if you can hit the tubes with a hammer. The amps are made by Mesa so they should be able to handle it according to the literature we have just seen on Murphy’s post.

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

What does hitting the Tubes do?

Well if you’re a real man and do it while plugged in and warmed up, maybe one will blow up in your face. Kind of like amp Russian Roulette.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Basically you’re buying a Mesa amp (which are great amps) with a Gibson sticker over where it should say Mesa. They built it. 

It’s like buying those Boveda hydration packs from D’addarrio. Boveda made them, and D’ad  just buys them from them and slaps their sticker on the package.

I have had a Mesa California Tweed on my List for a few years... But, just never pulled the trigger...

This Falcon 20 Amp has features that I really like that my other Amps don't have..

I like the Attenuator & it having a Hand Wired Circuit Board. And weighing in at 31 lbs... 

Also, with a 6V6, (or was it a 6L6), it will put out 15 Watts (Like my AC15) which is plenty powerful. I think they chose a great Celestion Speaker.. It seems to sound similar to a Celestion Alnico Blue..

Also that's it's made in California, USA..

Very interesting to me... I do have to try one out..

Edited by Larsongs

4 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If that's true, then the history of the new Gibson amp starts with a Fender amp.  🙃

"Mesa was started by Randall Smith as a small repair shop which modified Fender amplifiers, particularly the diminutive Fender Princeton."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa/Boogie

Same with early Vox & Marshall Amps…

Fender doesn’t offer a USA HW Amp like the Falcon 20, with it’s features for $1799.00.. Neither do Vox  or Marshall (made in UK) as far as I know..

Edited by Larsongs

9 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Same with early Vox & Marshall Amps…

Fender doesn’t offer a USA HW Amp like the Falcon 20, with it’s features for $1799.00.. Neither do Vox  or Marshall (made in UK) as far as I know..

I think most will be buying it for this. It says it in the description:

• Hypnotic throb of an onboard all-tube tremolo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think most will be buying it for this. It says it in the description:

• Hypnotic throb of an onboard all-tube tremolo

Neither Fender, Vox or Marshall offer the Hypnotic throb of an all-tube tremolo.. LOL!

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Neither Fender, Vox or Marshall offer the Hypnotic throb of an all-tube tremolo.. LOL!

Fender just has boring tremolo that doesn't throb.

Here is what Fender offers. 

Premium features include: Hand-wired AA764 circuit with tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Fender just has boring tremolo that doesn't throb.

Here is what Fender offers. 

Premium features include: Hand-wired AA764 circuit with tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo.

From what I’ve researched, not for $1799.00..

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I have had a Mesa California Tweed on my List for a few years... But, just never pulled the trigger...

This Falcon 20 Amp has features that I really like that my other Amps don't have..

I like the Attenuator & it having a Hand Wired Circuit Board. And weighing in at 31 lbs... 

Also, with a 6V6, (or was it a 6L6), it will put out 15 Watts (Like my AC15) which is plenty powerful. I think they chose a great Celestion Speaker.. It seems to sound similar to a Celestion Alnico Blue..

Also that's it's made in California, USA..

Very interesting to me... I do have to try one out..

It can run either 6L6 or 6V6 power tubes - both are plug and play. 

Wattages are approximately 12W (full), 5W (half), and 1W (low) with 6V6s (the stock tubes) or approximately 15W/6W/2W with 6L6 tubes. 

One minor correction - the speaker isn't a Celestion - it's a 12" Jensen Blackbird 40 Alnico. 

On 1/21/2024 at 8:18 AM, Larsongs said:

What does hitting the Tubes do?

They don't "hit" the tubes - they hit the chassis. They tap the tubes. Both are stress tests to try to make the amp fail, just like the 24 hour burn in test. If something is borderline, they'd rather catch it in the factory than have you suffer from it failing at a gig. 

37 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

From what I’ve researched, not for $1799.00..

Your right  some are cheaper and give more wattage. This is 40 watts and it has vibrato and reverb and is only $1499.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/68-custom-pro-reverb/2278000000.html

• Output Power / Output: 40 Watts
  • Controls: Bright Switch, Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Reverb, Speed, Intensity

Your right again this is 22 watts and it has vibrato and reverb and is only $1599.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/65-deluxe-reverb/0217400000.html

• 22 watts
  • Two channels (normal, vibrato)
  • Four inputs (two normal, two vibrato)
  • Tube-driven Fender reverb and tremolo ("vibrato")

What research are you doing. Took me less than 5 mins to find these on Fenders site.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

32 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

They don't "hit" the tubes - they hit the chassis. They tap the tubes. Both are stress tests to try to make the amp fail, just like the 24 hour burn in test. If something is borderline, they'd rather catch it in the factory than have you suffer from it failing at a gig. 

And it works. My Blue Angel did hundreds of gigs all over the Heartland over many years without a single issue.

And it still runs like a well-oiled machine.

👍

• Like 2