Gibson Brands Forums

Another Amp Hum

John P

So, I got my 2015 LP Jr back from Gibson where I had some mods done on it.

When I plugged it in and powered up the amp, I had a nasty hum. The hum seemed to calm down when I touched the metal parts of the guitar. Looked a little further and when I unplug the cable from the guitar, I still had the hum, so not the guitar. I unplugged the other end of the cable from the amp, and it quieted down. So, I thought well bad cable. I took a new cable out of the package and plugged it in to the amp and same problem. Next, I unplugged the cable from the Brand F solid state amp and plugged it into a Brand V tube amp. It was much quieter, but I could still hear it. Now I'm wondering if I could have a grounding issue inside the house, so the wife is stopping at Home Depot on her way home from work for a Klein Tools receptacle tester so I can check out the house outlets.

Any ideas in the meantime?

25 minutes ago, John P said:

Any ideas in the meantime?

Let me qualify this by saying I'm a journeyman electrician of over 40 years. Try this: turn off every light, heater fan etc. in your house, unplug every charger for everything that has one and try it again. If the hum goes away, then start turning everything back on one at a time. You'd be surprised how a little electrical appliance can cause this. I once had a problem like this and it turned out to be our cable modem (this was decades ago) had gone bad.

1 minute ago, 10PoundLester said:

Let me qualify this by saying I'm a journeyman electrician of over 40 years. Try this: turn off every light, heater fan etc. in your house, unplug every charger for everything that has one and try it again. If the hum goes away, then start turning everything back on one at a time. You'd be surprised how a little electrical appliance can cause this. I once had a problem like this and it turned out to be our cable modem (this was decades ago) had gone bad.

Well, that's sure worth a try. I can do that on Monday once the wife heads back to work.

19 minutes ago, Eracer_Team said:

I have a hum in my house 

some days are better than others 

I have one of those outlet testers shows every thing green 

That's what I'm afraid I might see too.

On 1/27/2024 at 7:41 AM, kidblast said:

how loud is this hum anyway?  Some line level noise is normal.

Not too bad with the tube amp, but pretty loud with the solid state.

Do you have florescent lights in the house or a dimmer switch. Those are notorious for creating unwanted hum.

Did the amp do that before the guitar went to the shop? Does every electric guitar you own do it on that amp?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

38 minutes ago, John P said:

Okay, I picked up a new Brand M amp and problem solved.

The Brand F amp was fine until I plugged in a cable, and that is when the loud hum would start. 

I like Marshalls!  good idea!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...