Gibson Brands Forums

A good tuner?...

xdamerx

Hey, I know this might not have to do with Les Paul's or anything, but this question does relate to me tuning my Les Paul! I currently have a tuner, and it seems to work fine with my acoustic guitar but when I plug in both my Les Paul, and my Ibanez, I seem to have a really hard time getting getting the "needle" or whatever it is that shows where you are tuned to to stick to one place, as it bounces all over the place! I tune very low, and have compensated with heavier gauged strings and whatnot, so the strings aren't pooey or anything. I'm tuned to Aeadf#b. The d, f# and b all tune to the tee on the tuner, but the lower strings I seem to have a harder time getting a accurate reading on the tuner. I know it's nothing to do with the actual guitars, cause I have the same problem on both, and it's making trying to do intonations on the guitars a bit frustrating. The tuner I have is a Seiko st757 chromatic tuner, if that helps anyone. If anyone has any ideas on this, it would be greatly appreciated! And, yes, I know I am tuned to a 7 string, I just don't want one! Had one already! Haha!

Thanks,

Damian

My Boss GT-10 Multi-effects pedal works really well - though that's kinda overkill for purely tuning purposes. Still don't use but maybe 10% of this thing's capability. Works great along with my Krank Rev Jr Pro for my throw in the truck and go practice and play and er um tuner rig.

if your looking for a great tuner and $$$ isn't the driver go Petersen StroboFlip or StroboStomp. I have several different tuners but the strobe is by far the best and most accurate especially with dropped tuning. Not cheap but work great every time and will tune anything probably the best $200 accessory I ever bought.

Peterson if can afford it. Korg Pitch Black is what I have.

I had two Peterson strobostomps that broke down at the most inopportune (pun intended? you decide) time. I've been on the Pitchblack for the better part of a year now, and I highly recommend it over any other pedal tuner.

My Boss GT-10 Multi-effects pedal works really well - though that's kinda overkill for purely tuning purposes. Still don't use but maybe 10% of this thing's capability. Works great along with my Krank Rev Jr Pro for my throw in the truck and go practice and play and er um tuner rig.

I heard a lot of people saying that GT10 has this annoying cocked wah/nasal tone.

Is this true? Just wondering.

I heard a lot of people saying that GT10 has this annoying cocked wah/nasal tone.

Is this true? Just wondering.

You mean as a general rule or with particular settings? I don't have a "cocked wah" setting. Afraid to even ask what that means??? ](*,)

The best effects IMO are still individual quality stomps appropriately placed in the system but the GT-10 is by far the best multi that I've played. I even tried the TC Electronic Nova system and the Line 6 M13 and the GT-10 won hands down.

Again, the GT-10 and the Krank Rev Jr Pro are my throw in the truck and go rig to go practice or play with friends.

Tuner works great though which is where this conversation started.

You mean as a general rule or with particular settings? I don't have a "cocked wah" setting. Afraid to even ask what that means??? =P~

The best effects IMO are still individual quality stomps appropriately placed in the system but the GT-10 is by far the best multi that I've played. I even tried the TC Electronic Nova system and the Line 6 M13 and the GT-10 won hands down.

Again' date=' the GT-10 and the Krank Rev Jr Pro are my throw in the truck and go rig to go practice or play with friends.

Tuner works great though which is where this conversation started.[/quote']

Check BOSS GT Central

Cocked Wah Syndrome

cool! i just found out about them a couple of months ago when i was looking for a replacement to my TU-2. I got the stomp-box one and couldn't be happier. It's so much quicker and more accurate than the TU-2.

I bought a new acoustic tuner about 6 months ago (Boss TU-12H) I wish i'd have known about these turbo tuners then, i would have gotten the other version.

Good luck with it!

The Stroboflip may be a little overkill unless you want to use it to intonate your gitar as it's accuracy is 1/1000 of a note. You will have to settle for almost with that one...

If you want to use it during performaces, I would recomment something a little less accurate.

I have this one and I will only recommend it if you want to use it for recording or intonation. I would never use a Peterson on stage.

The Korg Pitch Black have I heard a lot of good things about, but never tried myself.

Of course you answered your own question - always make sure you don't have "poo-ey" strings.

With chromatic tuners (the one built in to one of my amps is the worst) you kind of have to give it a long moment to capture the note before you tweak the tuning knob. Some tuners recommend that you turn down the tone control to eliminate some of the harmonics, and others say to keep it turned up - so of course you need to try it both ways.

I like the Planet Waves strobe pick tuner, but it's only good for standard tuning. Their strobostomp is pretty good but I can't say yet if its reliable. I like the option of having a silent tuner output or not (the strobostomp has two output jacks, one is switched and one isn't).

Archived