Gibson Brands Forums

Question: Custom Shop

We've all seen it. Used Gibson guitars offered as 'Custom Shop' when it's the model is 'custom' or similar. There is a couple on marketplace ATM. 

My question is this. Do custom shop models always have split diamond inlays? 

Its a simple question but I fully expect the answer to be complicated. 

What year are you referring to? What model of guitar? Acoustic or electric? 

Gibson could add a pearl dot on a guitar and call it a custom shop.

I personally think when you special order  a Guitar with certain additional 1 off items on it    And it takes two years to receive That reserves the spot for a True Custom shop.    But nowadays. Gibson will sticker 100 guitars of the same with the words Custom shop. And theres nothing custom  involved except a marketing tactic .  

Edited by slimt

On 1/29/2024 at 7:27 PM, slimt said:

What year are you referring to? What model of guitar? Acoustic or electric? 

Gibson could add a pearl dot on a guitar and call it a custom shop.

I personally think when you special order  a Guitar with certain additional 1 off items on it    And it takes two years to receive That reserves the spot for a True Custom shop.    But nowadays. Gibson will sticker 100 guitars of the same with the words Custom shop. And theres nothing custom  involved except a marketing tactic .  

Its an open question.

Thanks for your reply.

There are two distinct and vastly different types of Gibson "Custom Shop" guitars. 

The first version is a true "Gibson Custom Shop", which is made to order, (or was made to order originally,) or possibly from a very limited release of a version/versions of Gibson guitars made by hand (for the most part) by the Gibson Custom Shop. Either way, every Gibson "Custom Shop" guitar was built in the Gibson Custom Shop.

The second version is the Gibson "Custom Shop Edition", which refers to limited runs of high end Gibson models that come with "upgraded" hardware/electronics, (24K gold hardware adorns many of the CSE versions), Pearl headstock/fretboard inlays, and often better tone wood than non CSE versions. These CSE Gibsons are not necessarily made in the Gibson Custom Shop, nor should anyone expect their CSE to have been made there. (They are made in the USA, however) CSE's runs are chosen by Gibson management, as are the model(s) made, the number made that year, the color schemes, and how they will differ from the high end Gibsons from which they are derived from. If Gibson chooses to make CSE's any given year, the consumer simply gets what Gibson decided to make that year, if any are made that year.  All Gibson Custom Shop Edition models have a two color (Gold w/black shadow highlight) inked label on the back of the headstock with pressed serial numbers and Made in the USA imprints.

As to fretboard inlays, my CSE has pearl dots, but I know of many other CSE's that have different types of Pearl fretboard inlays. Since Gibson "Custom Shop" models are traditionally "made to order", they style of fretboard inlay would have been based on the original buyers desires, (and what the Custom Shop offerings were the year it was ordered/made).

Determining if a Gibson guitar is a Custom Shop model, (or even a CSE model),  should not be based on the type of pearl fretboard inlays, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

The first version is a true "Gibson Custom Shop", which is made to order, (or was made to order originally,) or possibly from a very limited release of a version/versions of Gibson guitars made by hand (for the most part) by the Gibson Custom Shop. Either way, every Gibson "Custom Shop" guitar was built in the Gibson Custom Shop.

I think this would cover my ES-345 and possibly my Firebird VII.  Limited run, expensive when new.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

I think this would cover my ES-345 and possibly my Firebird VII.  Limited run, expensive when new.

Were/are they labeled "Custom Shop" in some form or fashion? I am, admittedly, not very versed in how Gibson labels/marks their Custom Shop guitars but, they should bare some type of "Gibson Custom Shop" designation/badging. 

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Were/are they labeled "Custom Shop" in some form or fashion? I am, admittedly, not very versed in how Gibson labels/marks their Custom Shop guitars but, they should bare some type of "Gibson Custom Shop" designation/badging. 

345 orange sticker inside just says Made In Memhis, COA booklet says hand-built by Gibson Custom, blah blah blah Rick Gembar General Manager, Senior Vice President Gibson Custom Shop, nothing on the guitar says Custom Shop, case has Gibson Custom Shop with a star.

Firebird VII somewhere I read custom shop, I can not swear to the veracity of the claim.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

345 orange sticker inside just says Made In Memhis, COA booklet says hand-built by Gibson Custom, blah blah blah Rick Gembar General Manager, Senior Vice President Gibson Custom Shop, nothing on the guitar says Custom Shop, case has Gibson Custom Shop with a star.

Firebird VII somewhere I read custom shop, I can not swear to the veracity of the claim.

Its pretty much a sales tactic.    Back a few years ago up here. Just about every J45, es335s had custom shop decals on the back of the peg head.  Really nothing custom shop about those.  But they sure sold alot 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:34 PM, merciful-evans said:

We've all seen it. Used Gibson guitars offered as 'Custom Shop' when it's the model is 'custom' or similar. There is a couple on marketplace ATM. 

My question is this. Do custom shop models always have split diamond inlays? 

Its a simple question but I fully expect the answer to be complicated. 

My LP custom has the split diamond inlay on the headstock but is definitely not a custom shop guitar. I suspect online sellers are possibly listing guitars like this as custom shop because it is indeed a custom vs a standard to possibly lure in unsuspecting buyers. The uniformed will be disappointed when they realize they just bought an off the shelf custom vs an actual custom shop guitar.

I would think that a custom shop guitar would be with or without the split diamond inlay as it's the finish, color or specs that make it a true custom shop product.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Narwhal6 said:

My LP custom has the split diamond inlay on the headstock but is definitely not a custom shop guitar. I suspect online sellers are possibly listing guitars like this as custom shop because it is indeed a custom vs a standard to possibly lure in unsuspecting buyers. The uniformed will be disappointed when they realize they just bought an off the shelf custom vs an actual custom shop guitar.

I would think that a custom shop guitar would be with or without the split diamond inlay as it's the finish, color or specs that make it a true custom shop product.

Thank you.

I thought the SDI was a feature of custom shop. Part of the reason I posed the question. It is indeed even more complicated than I imagined.

51 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

It is indeed even more complicated than I imagined.

Rudi isn't everything with Gibson? Serial number, record keepings, CEO after CEO, QA. On any given day it can be the best and probably the worst too coming out of the plant.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think the Custom Shop is a place designated in the plant for the higher end stuff to be made. It may  not be an actual designated area.

Custom is a model. Like the LP Custom. It had the split diamonds to signify it was a Custom.

Then there is Custom as in I want my guitar built to my custom specs. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think the Custom Shop is a place designated in the plant for the higher end stuff to be made. It many for not be an actual designated area.

Custom is a model. Like the LP Custom. It had the split diamonds to signify it was a Custom.

Then there is Custom as in I want my guitar built to my custom specs. 

I think that's best summation you're ever going to get.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Sounds like the 345, per it's COA booklet, may indeed be one of those limited run Gibson Custom Shop offerings. Are the serial numbers inked or pressed? Sometimes that tells a lot. Have you run the serial numbers through Gibson to see what comes up, (on both the 345 and the Firebird?). I would give that a try for sure. Gibson also has Heritage offerings, but that is just another nightmare to decipher. SLIMT has good points as well, so factor those in. But, as you know, you have two awesome guitars that surely play and sound even better than they look.  Badging/labels, or lack there of, only matters to bean counters, NOT to your/our ears. 

The serial numbers are pressed in.

I never really thought about where they were made or what department, I do know they have a different feel to them than the other Gibsons I have.  It's hard to describe but you can tell as soon as you pick them up.  I think these were both real short runs.  

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

What year is your Firebird? Just did a quick search on Firebird VII's and there were multiple "small runs" in the 2000's, and some, but not all, were indeed true "Custom Shop" runs. 

For example;  2002 had Firebird VII Limited Editions, 2008 had Firebird VII LTD.,  2013 had the 20th anniversary '65 Firebird VII Gibson Custom Shop release, etc. etc.. (all quite pricey.) 

I think I'm wrong on the Firebird VII as I found the case and it says Gibson USA on it, all the case candy disappeared.  

From looking at Gibson's web site, the realist of the real Custom Shop models should start with a CS.  Unless they don't!

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Serial-Number-Search

Edited by SteveFord

11 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I never really thought about where they were made or what department, I do know they have a different feel to them than the other Gibsons I have.  It's hard to describe but you can tell as soon as you pick them up.  I think these were both real short runs.  

Its like that T M aged guitar. You can tell the guys who built it spend more time and care with it than the 2k ones. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

In Bozeman - 6 or 7 years ago -  those here who had been on tours assured us there was no "Custom Shop"  location.  Just a 'Special Handling' concept for models with special specs.   Still followed the same processes on the same equipment and assembly line.  I suppose if the change were only color, tuners, p/g or other cosmetic things - they wouldn't both calling it "CS".   Because that would water down the Marketing Value of the term.  Since Bozeman went through an expansion a few years ago - they may have created a separate physical space.  And then there's the 'Limited Edition' runs.   Ours is not to reason why...