Gibson Brands Forums

How much do you practice?

Retired

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

LOL! That’s serious practice.. 

I hope that doesn't give the impression that I'm any good at classical because I'm not!  I'm still learning, it seems to be a never-ending process.

Looking on the bright side I will be visiting a fascinating place called Cta.de Gomerez in Granada, Spain later this year.  It's a street that, 25 years ago was lined with Guitar builders, but sadly there are now only two left.  When you enter the shop's they tend to lock the door behind you (I think for privacy) and the luthiers workbench serves as the shop counter.  Needless to say I am looking forward to my visit🙂    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I hope that doesn't give the impression that I'm any good at classical because I'm not!  I'm still learning, it seems to be a never-ending process.

Looking on the bright side I will be visiting a fascinating place called Cta.de Gomerez in Granada, Spain later this year.  It's a street that, 25 years ago was lined with Guitar builders, but sadly there are now only two left.  When you enter the shop's they tend to lock the door behind you (I think for privacy) and the luthiers workbench serves as the shop counter.  Needless to say I am looking forward to my visit🙂    

That will be a very interesting trip…

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

IanHenry,

Maybe they lock the door after you enter so you must buy something to leave?

Whatcha think?

RBSinTo

On 2/16/2024 at 6:31 PM, Notes_Norton said:

In the tourist season, 6 days a week, in the summer, lucky to do 3.

Because if you can't practice on stage, where CAN you practice?

Seriously, I don't practice sax, flute, or wind synth anymore. Guitar is my 7th instrument, I'm still learning, so all my practice time (and there isn't enough of it) goes on the guitar. 

Notes ♫

I wish I could play different instruments well like you Notes. My wife and oldest sister play piano. I asked Deb if she thought I could learn piano in my old age. Is it difficult? Looks easier than guitar. 

On 2/19/2024 at 10:12 AM, DanvillRob said:

It's very few people who manage to make a living doing something they love.   You're a lucky man.

Very lucky.

My first gig was when I was in Junior High School. I was in the school band, and after school I was in a rock band. We were terrible, but everybody was, back then.

We got a gig playing a school dance. There I was, on the stage with my best friends. We were trying our hardest to cover the popular songs of the day, and when I looked off-stage, that cute girl who didn't even acknowledge my existence in English class was 'making eyes' at me! Then, at the end of the night, they paid me money!!!

That's when I said, “This is what I want to do for the rest of my life!”

I've been in many bands, was the opening act for the biggest stars of the day in concert, almost had a record deal, but the label and our manager couldn't agree (he wanted us to actually make some of the money). 

The band broke up over that, and I took a wage-slave day job, to investigate what it was to be normal. That lasted a few years, while playing on the weekends, and finally I had to go back to gigging. 

I've been in plenty of bands since then, played dives, cruise ships, show clubs, singles bars, yacht clubs, country clubs, private parties, fancy hotels, strip clubs, nudist camps, and just about anywhere else a musician can play.

In 1985 the then future Mrs. Notes and I started a duo. Since I play 8 instruments, I make my own backing tracks. 

I guess I'm living someone's dream (certainly mine). There are compromises, We don't have tons of money, but the house is paid off and we have zero debt. We don't have children, either (and don't really want them).

But I don't do five 8-hour days per week, as a wage slave for someone I never met who has a middle management person telling me what to do, while I live for the weekends.

I enjoy my job, and I'm enjoying my life. I prefer experiences to possessions, and I'm blessed with wonderful experiences. Life is good today.

I probably put in more than 40 hours per week, but it doesn't seem like work. A lot of it is at home, learning new songs, making the backing tracks, keeping the marketing going, and so on. 

I have a second sideline, writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box. I wrote some for myself, gave them to my friends, who told me I should sell them. So I took out an ad, and now I have another part-time job doing music and nothing but music. I'm creating musical snippets that other musicians can use on their gigs, and I've sold them to over 100 countries on this planet.

It's not for everyone, I don't have a steady paycheck (during the COVID lockdown I was out of work), no company sponsored retirement plan, and before my income tax, I have to pay 15% self-employment tax. I am always learning (I like that). I profit from my good decisions, and hopefully learn from my bad ones. But if I had to do it again, the only thing I would change is I wouldn't have wasted time on that wage slave day job.

Notes ♫

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

IanHenry,

Maybe they lock the door after you enter so you must buy something to leave?

Whatcha think?

RBSinTo

I don't know, but the first time it happens it does feel a little eery 🙂 

• Like 1