Gibson Brands Forums

Rippling on side

So I've recently noticed that there's a slight rippling running with the grain on the side in the waist, only on the underside.  There's nothing cracking and you can't really see it at all from the inside.  Should I be concerned?  Humidity issue?  Or just a natural aging thing?  50s J-45 about 3 years old.  Will try to post a picture later.

No idea, but just spitballing here: since it’s only on the underside, I wonder if it has something to do with if you play sitting down?  The nitro might be reacting to skin oils/sweat if you wear shorts, or maybe even fabric softener?  If it was humidity, you’d think it would be affecting other areas.  Oh, you don’t have it parked where the sun or a heat source  is hitting it on that side?  Anyway, hoping it’s just a weird transition cosmetic thing.  Like the floors in my house in the winter maybe it will settle back down when the weather moderates.

On a reassuring note, guitars move and breathe, and much more so when they are new.  It may just be just be still stretching out and limbering up.  As you said, if you don’t see the wood moving inside, like a crack or pulling at the joints, it shouldn’t affect the playability. 

Heck, folks pay thousands more to have Gibson put weirdness in the finishes on the Murphy’s. 

Edited by PrairieDog

1 minute ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm guessing it was there when it left the factory.   Probably on a Monday when the "Fan Reflection  QC Test" guy called in sick. 

I went there  too, but it’s been 3 years and he is just seeing it now.  

And maybe we should have a separate channel for “weird things I’ve noticed on the underside of my bout.”  First the “Key crack of January” and now this. I’ve taken to flipping my guitars over periodically just to be safe, chuckle.   

I've had that rippling on the side thing before, and it was not from leaving the Bob Evans on a Sunday morning. . . 'went & just looked, but that guitar has already gone to someone else.  The closest thing I'd found that could explain it had to do with the process of bending the sides of the guitar at the factory- sometimes internal forces in the grain of the wood try to equalize themselves, maybe it was slightly present before the guitar was finished, and in the interest of not wasting wood, it was located on the side where it would be less noticeable.

• Upvote 1

I have never seen this many issues seemingly popping up with new/newish guitars. Coud just be that folks today have access to a whole lot more information than we did such as forums where they can voice their concerns.  

Lots of theories.   For all I know, it could simply be that in Bozeman's rush to get guitars out the door they are shipping them before the wood has properly dried.  Then again, I don't build them, I just play them.  

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Bob Evans on a Sunday morning. . . 

I used to live in Rio Grande when Bob was alive, went to school with his son, and I went to the Gallipolis Bob Evans a few months ago.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Murph said:

I used to live in Rio Grande when Bob was alive, went to school with his son, and I went to the Gallipolis Bob Evans a few months ago.

I went to one in Charleston, WV on the way home from Michigan last month and had to stop for gas in the morning and it was across the street. Biscuits and Gravy with two eggs over easy never lets you down. The last time I was in one before that was 2015 or so in the Chapel Hill area.

And now back to glare and a fan blade reflection on the side of a guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I went to one in Charleston, WV on the way home from Michigan last month and had to stop for gas in the morning and it was across the street. Biscuits and Gravy with two eggs over easy never lets you down. The last time I was in one before that was 2015 or so in the Chapel Hill area.

And now back to glare and a fan blade reflection on the side of a guitar.

Well that would be a factor too.  . 😀

No side support strips on the inside.  I'm guessing that folks who suggested that perhaps the wood wasn't 100% dried are right and the laquer is making these appear.  I was worried that it might be too much humidity as I live in a VERY humid region, but it sounds like this is common enough that it can happen anywhere.  When it's in the case that's the side that faces down, so I also wondered if that had anything to do with it, but I seriously doubt it.

Just another quirk of the Gibson flattop. 🙂 

• Upvote 1