Gibson Brands Forums

L-OO

risco

Hi I bought this guitar; brand new last Spring. Been having trouble keeping it in tune for the last few months. Gibson sent me new Butterbean tuners because I thought they were the major problem. I am not a fan of these tuners ,so I had my Tech install Grove tuners ;the closed ones ;which I prefer. After a few days and new strings ,I am still having trouble staying in tune. None of my other guitars are giving me  problem ; well humidified here in the Northeast. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Did you string it, or the luthier?

Did you get a proper set up from the luthier or just tuner installation?

Going out of tune is usually slippage at the tuner, catching at a burred nut slot, not pulling the ball end of the string right up to the bridge plate, or plain old not stretching the strings on installation, dud strings?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hi , the luthier did the whole job. It was setup last year when I bought  it ;by him.  I don't know ; It always seems like the low E when I use drop D tuning.... but then again it is all strings going out after I play. I fingerpick Blues so no heavy banging .

Go inside with a mirror check to see if the eyelets were bent or are they hanging straight down? The eyelets should be resting inside on the bridge plate.   
also as mentioned, if you went to the thicker string. It could be binding at the nut. 

It also could be that the strings still need to settle in. You said it has just been a few days?  Try stretching each one well. Several times.  It took me multiple sessions of restretching and re-tuning when I just restrung my DIF.  Also, if you aren’t, tune down, then tune up into the note. that can help with slots that are prone to binding. Binding is often worse and more problematic when tuning down from sharp. 

I have a old Gibson which every time I pull from its case it is about 1/2 step flat.  I hate to say it as it is not setting a good example but after 60+ years of hacking away at it, I don't ask why and just tune it and get to playing.

That said, the problem could be anything from not giving the strings a couple of good stretches after stringing to the nut not being properly slotted to changes in neck tension.  Temperature changes alone though can cause a guitar to go sharp in the spring and the other way in the fall.  

I would say bring it back to the luthier.  If he cannot figure it out it is probably time to find a different repair guy. 

Well....if the strings are seated properly in the bridge plate area.....give the string a yank......still not tuning......

What Doc BK777 does.......be CAREFUL! 

I have a very, very thin nail file - I lift the string out of the nut slot, try and get a close look to see if there is a burr that catches the string. If there is, the string goes clinky clink as you tune and ‘rushes’ to the desired tuning on Snarky or Poly.

So...very, very gently - imagine you were doing it to your teeth, oik, yep, gently with nail file up and back once on each side of the slot- DO not touch the bottom of the slot - that is the string height setting! So yeah, ah ah each side....blow it. FOOF.

HB pencil - apply all over slot - lube!

May as well do all the string slots while you have the equipment! 🤤

Put some HB pencil lube on the saddle under the strings as well.....

BluesKing777.

3 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Well....if the strings are seated properly in the bridge plate area.....give the string a yank......still not tuning......

What Doc BK777 does.......be CAREFUL! 

I have a very, very thin nail file - I lift the string out of the nut slot, try and get a close look to see if there is a burr that catches the string. If there is, the string goes clinky clink as you tune and ‘rushes’ to the desired tuning on Snarky or Poly.

So...very, very gently - imagine you were doing it to your teeth, oik, yep, gently with nail file up and back once on each side of the slot- DO not touch the bottom of the slot - that is the string height setting! So yeah, ah ah each side....blow it. FOOF.

HB pencil - apply all over slot - lube!

May as well do all the string slots while you have the equipment! 🤤

Put some HB pencil lube on the saddle under the strings as well.....

BluesKing777.

Great advice ! I did this and a little pencil,it seems like it is hanging in there .I can retune and it seems to be staying in tune. Thanks !

8 hours ago, risco said:

Great advice ! I did this and a little pencil,it seems like it is hanging in there .I can retune and it seems to be staying in tune. Thanks !

Wait till you get his bill.