Gibson Brands Forums

2014 J-15 My thoughts and some pics.

Hi everyone. Just signed up to share my thoughts on my first Gibson acoustic guitar! It’s an early 2014 J-15 that’s undergone some minor cosmetic adjustments. I’ve had it for 7-8 months now and I just keep loving it more everyday. I own a few other guitars, a Martin D-28, a Taylor 510 LTD and a Guild J-30, and this one rounds out the whole collection. I’ve wanted one for a while and it really delivers on everything I could have hoped for in a Gibson. I’m the second owner. The previous owner added the J-200 guard and the Waverly tuners, which really sets it apart nicely imo. I filled in the holes left by the tuner replacement with some tooth pick dowels, not unnoticeable, but close enough. I also added some bone bridge pins and took out the under saddle pickup. I tried a bone saddle, but actually much preferred the Tusq. Also, the woods are fantastic! Pretty stuff. I’m definitely a straight grain preference kind of guy, and the back on this one has some really nice grained walnut - just really clean. As far as I can tell, the serial number dates it to February 7, 2014 - so from an early production run it seems. Ultimately it’s the sound that really sold me. I use ej16’s (my favorites) and it really delivers on that nice, woody and dry Gibson tone, with great balance and just enough sustain. Sweet as a nut. Anyway, I visit this forum often to look and read about all the great Gibson acoustics you guys talk about and share, so I thought I would share as well. Glad to be an official member:)vkS9PLW.jpegfRWsmbe.jpeg2JFd2OI.jpegwLenqtc.jpegE4d6g0Z.jpeg1p5WI8P.jpeg9bHIsW1.jpeg5voKwK1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice pics, and they show some equally nice mods. Decent string break at the saddle, ✔️.  Very good looking grain on that top, too. Of course, a sample clip would always be welcome. 😊.

Edited by 62burst

3 hours ago, 62burst said:

Nice pics, and they show some equally nice mods. Decent string break at the saddle, ✔️.  Very good looking grain on that top, too. Of course, a sample clip would always be welcome. 😊.

Thank you Burst! You bet. I’ll post a clip later this week when I have some time to do it proper.

Wow, that looks gorgeous with the SJ200 style pickguard!

I had a J15 for quite a while, I traded it for a J180 which was nice but not as nice as the J15, which in retrospect was one of the best slope dreads I’ve ever owned. They’re an incredible bargain for what they are. Yours is the best looking one I’ve seen, love it!

1 minute ago, Jinder said:

Wow, that looks gorgeous with the SJ200 style pickguard!

I had a J15 for quite a while, I traded it for a J180 which was nice but not as nice as the J15, which in retrospect was one of the best slope dreads I’ve ever owned. They’re an incredible bargain for what they are. Yours is the best looking one I’ve seen, love it!

Thanks Jinder. yeah, I really like it too! Maybe fate will bring another one your way:)

• Thanks 1

That's cool as heck.

I'm a huge fan of the J-15. I swapped into mine to take pressure (fret wear) off of my J-45 and fell in love with the skinny neck, chunky sound and it's become part of my arsenal.

Yours is mighty fine.

• Like 1

I agree that whoever picked out the pickguard and open gear tuners chose wisely.   I feel the J15 and the J29 were the poster children for New School Gibson Tone.   Basically, a different balance from the steady diet of 1940s and 1950s Gibsons I lived on.  So that would give me a reason to buy a J15 as I did not see the money in buying a guitar which sounded like that which I already owned.  Pretty much a different is good thing.  But in the end, I do not have a clue as to whether I could have come to embrace the J15s brighter voice as the thin neck put the model outside of my comfort zone.   So, it will remain one of those sweet mysteries of life.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Question, for those that have experience - are the J-15’s known to have a brighter tone than other Gibsons? I’ve never played another one. I always had it in my head that all Gibsons were on the bright side. Any models that do t fall in that category?

35 minutes ago, Ksounds said:

Question, for those that have experience - are the J-15’s known to have a brighter tone than other Gibsons? I’ve never played another one. I always had it in my head that all Gibsons were on the bright side. 

I'd call mine "chunky". My J-45 is rosewood/ebony and it's more "woody" to me. But louder than the walnut imo.

Here's mine, no effects just an SM57 through a Bose S1-Pro.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Murph said:

And here it is in the middle of the woods, no mic, no amp just an ipad sitting on a log 15 feet away.

Sounds great Murph! Yeah, mine sounds “chunky” too! Thanks for sharing!

16 hours ago, Ksounds said:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Question, for those that have experience - are the J-15’s known to have a brighter tone than other Gibsons? I’ve never played another one. I always had it in my head that all Gibsons were on the bright side. Any models that do t fall in that category?

My J15 is rather on the bright side, thats what I like about it but I do find the string make and type have a big influence on the sound, Elixir ones seem bright and clear sounding.  Great guitar, I'd never sell mine. Mine was produced on the 6th of March 2014 so it's nearly its 10th Birthday🙂.

• Like 1

As others have said already, love the J-200 guard and Waverly's on the J-15, makes for a truly elegant looking guitar.  I would sport that guitar with all sorts of pride, congrats!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I recorded a sound sample of this guitar if anyone is interested. It’s recorded on a portable tascam device, so not the best quality, just added some compression. I think in real life it has a little more bass represented, but you get the picture. I’m also thinking about moving it on. I love it, but I’m thinking of going all in for a vintage J200. Does anyone have experience with the two they could share? Thanks so much!

https://on.soundcloud.com/R9WmERYn6rKP532T6

• Upvote 1