Gibson Brands Forums

Why not call it a J-50?

18 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My Norlen-Era (1975) J-50 has the teardrop pickguard.

Is it a J-50 Deluxe or just a plain J-50? I don't know if there's any difference, but my 1974 J-50 Deluxe (purchased new) has the batwing pickguard. I think I've seen some J-50's with teardrop guards, but they were much older.

We have discussed the newer Gibson natural J-45's before. To me, it doesn't quite look like a J-50. The lack of a batwing pickguard and black nut are obvious differences. But it also appears to have some kind of pearl inlaid headstock logo. I don't recall ever seeing that on a J-50, it seems too fancy. When you add the big chrome rotomatic tuners, the overall effect looks really ugly to me.

PROPRS45AN3_hs.png

9 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Is it a J-50 Deluxe or just a plain J-50? I don't know if there's any difference, but my 1974 J-50 Deluxe (purchased new) has the batwing pickguard. I think I've seen some J-50's with teardrop guards, but they were much older.

We have discussed the newer Gibson natural J-45's before. To me, it doesn't quite look like a J-50. The lack of a batwing pickguard and black nut are obvious differences. But it also appears to have some kind of pearl inlaid headstock logo. I don't recall ever seeing that on a J-50, it seems too fancy. When you add the big chrome rotomatic tuners, the overall effect looks really ugly to me.

PROPRS45AN3_hs.png

I don't know....as I said, it was a gift to me from my crew when I retired.

It says J-50....that's all....

I put Grovers on it because the old Klusons were very old and too hard for my arthritic hands to tune....and I had the Grovers just laying around.

It is an absolutely wonderful guitar... was my workhorse until the bursitis caused me to go back to my Jubilee since it's smaller to practice on every day.

• Like 1

My J50 dates to 1942 so well before the batwing scratchplate came into vogue.  More than likely, as noted above, somebody at Gibson made the call that a natural top J45 was more marketable than a J50.  Me, I think I will wait until Bozeman comes out with a J50 sporting a burst. 

Edited by zombywoof
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My J50 dates to 1942 so well before the batwing scratchplate came into vogue.  More than likely, as noted above, somebody at Gibson made the call that a natural top J45 was more marketable than a J50.  Me, I think I will wait until Bozeman comes out with a J50 sporting a burst. 

I would have sworn I've seen an ad for a J-50 with a burst on it...... but I'm old and get confused easily.