Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in Public

drathbun

I have been invited to audition as a guitarist in a local band. I've also been practicing to begin doing some open mic sessions at local venues this spring. I've been playing the guitar since I was 14, including playing for friends and family and a few public events (song contests etc.) Even though I consider myself an adequate, intermediate player, I've been having feelings about 'auditioning' at my ripe old age that run the gamut from excitement and anticipation, to feelings of inadequacy and resignation about not being good enough. I'm sure all these things are normal.

In my career as a college professor, including 10 years as a department chair, I've become fairly used to speaking in public. Recently I even gave a speech on a lighted stage (the beautiful Martha Cohen Theatre in downtown Calgary) in front of an audience of over 500 (it was an award dedication speech). And yet, still this fear of playing in front of other musicians or with other musicians in public!

So I've been perusing various articles on the subject online. I came across this article by Jamie Andreas. Andreas is quite the guru instructor of the guitar. I've read many of his articles over the years and actually take issue with some of his guitar training philosophy. However, this article in three parts on stage fright is truly wonderful and inspiring. Give it a read, I think you'll enjoy it. I especially enjoyed Part III where he discusses music as a spiritual/emotional expression. I couldn't agree more.

Links to parts two and three are at the bottom of the page.

Stage Fright

I have terrible stage fright. So bad my hands become cold and bloodless and white and sweaty. Good article, though I did not see anything there that helps much. So far all I have come up with is to just push through it until I start enjoying making music. This means the first number is always dreadful.

I seem to become all thumbs myself in public. Then everyone lies to me and says they didn't notice. I do not like and probably never will like playing in public. I do it because it makes me focus on my practicing more knowing the the practice is going to count. If I ever get the money and knowledge to make YouTube videos I a may do that. I can always cherry pick what others see.

When I lived in the North Carolina mountains, I noticed how the experienced musicians brought the talented children on stage very early and encouraged them. The local audiences likewise really encouraged them. I don't know that this helps drathbun with the immediate situation, but I would love to see this kind of support more frequently in our society. Since I've gotten encouragement from my local musician friends, I'm less bothered by the occasional public playing opportunity.

While I'm still new to guitar, I've played a few open-mic's and have been a professional performer of one sort or another for decades. I have found that when performing music, the best thing I can do is to "write off" the first two songs entirely. Accept that I'm gonna be nervous, that the crowd is gonna be judging me on everything from my shoes to my hair, and that it's natural to need a minute or two to adapt to the situation of performing, just as we adapt to other situations day to day. With zero expectations for the first two songs, I rest assured that by the third (maybe sooner, maybe later), both I and the audience will be ready to forget about judgement and settle in for entertainment, joy, and shared expression of music. Good luck!

Before every performance I turn my back to the audience like I'm fixing something technical. Then I focus all of my energy in to one deep breath, everything becomes about breathing smoothly. Then once I've taken that breath I turn around and make some music.

I've found this helps when you're up there but nothing is better than be prepared. Good luck.

I feel very lucky, because I never had that embarrassement.

I even think that I am born to play & sing before a large public.

When I was young I had some stage fever, but lately I feel only the joy of the fact that everyone is listening to me.

What can I tell you - you are so experienced, so just do it.

Think about the joy.

Enjoy!

Drathbun....just make sure your fly is not open. Do your thing....good luck....

I think wily has a good point here. It could ruin your moment. But, if it does happen and some drunk in the front row says, "hey, ya' know your fly's open and I can see your roony?" Just smile and say, " Know it, hell, I wrote it!"

Good luck.

I have been invited to audition as a guitarist in a local band. I've also been practicing to begin doing some open mic sessions at local venues this spring. I've been playing the guitar since I was 14' date=' including playing for friends and family and a few public events (song contests etc.) Even though I consider myself an adequate, intermediate player, I've been having feelings about 'auditioning' at my ripe old age that run the gamut from excitement and anticipation, to feelings of inadequacy and resignation about not being good enough. I'm sure all these things are normal.

In my career as a college professor, including 10 years as a department chair, I've become fairly used to speaking in public. Recently I even gave a speech on a lighted stage (the beautiful Martha Cohen Theatre in downtown Calgary) in front of an audience of over 500 (it was an award dedication speech). And yet, still this fear of playing in front of other musicians or with other musicians in public!

So I've been perusing various articles on the subject online. I came across this article by Jamie Andreas. Andreas is quite the guru instructor of the guitar. I've read many of his articles over the years and actually take issue with some of his guitar training philosophy. However, this article in three parts on stage fright is truly wonderful and inspiring. Give it a read, I think you'll enjoy it. I especially enjoyed Part III where he discusses music as a spiritual/emotional expression. I couldn't agree more.

Links to parts two and three are at the bottom of the page.

Stage Fright

It's obvious you are a professor. Your world revolves around text books having all the answers. At the risk of bein' blunt. Stop readin' and just do it. There ain't no.. sorry isn't any book that will help you get up in front of people. Just get up there and do it. The first times, go up with a group you are comfortable playing with. If you flub a note.... Who knows? The audience doesn't have the score. The secret is keepin' a poker face. When you stamp your foot, roll your eyes and utter, "D'oh". You've just told everyone you goofed. They don't know what you did, but with your body language, you just told them you goofed.

As far as the audition. Arrive ahead of time, and just sit... let your heart slow down from the walkin' and luggin'. When you enter the room, introduce yourself, and ask the auditioners? ees? who they are and share someplesantries. Confirm what kind of music you believe you should be playing.. I know you know, but it's a pleasantry and indicates professionalism. with the impliication that you can be flexible.

I attended a Senior, Classical Guitar Recital of an accomplished student. I arrived just before they closed the doors. The musician was still running and flitting up and down the halls, doing God knows what. Very shortly after they closed the doors, the guitarist appeared from the Green Room and went to work. He was sweatin' bullets. His first number was a disaster, in my opinion. The second not so much, as by this time the perspiring had abated. The third number and beyond were superb. The school taught him a lot about playin'. Just not enough about how to stage and prepare for a recital. He needed someone else to do the flitting and doing God knows what, while he just... sat...

Just curious. What text did you consult before making that speech in front of 500 people? :-s None? Interesting.:-k

That was an interesting article, and I agree with much of what he wrote. For me, and many others I suspect, the biggest secret is simple- diligent preparation. I learned this through classical lessons and recitals, and from several different teachers.

The fact is, when you play live it is always going to be a different, and to some extent less controlled, environment than usual. Crowds, noise, audio equipment, feedback, sound guys, alcohol, other band members- all factors largely out of your control. Which means that you will always have to commit some portion of your mental energy to interacting with those factors in a positive way. Which means that you have to have strong enough control over the music and the performance that it doesn't require 100% of your attention.

I also try to practice in an environment as much like the performance environment as possible. I stand, plug into an amp or P.A., set up my equipment just the same way that it will be in concert, use the same microphones when singing, etc. The closer my environment resembles my performance environment, the more comfortable I feel when I get there.

The last thing that works for me is to simply perform as often as I can. The feeling of being in front of people takes as much practice as the playing of the instrument, and it does improve with practice. I'll take any chance I get to play for others, whether it's at a block party or an open mic, or a real show.

Good Luck!

I'm like Jerry, I get cold clammy hands and wonder how the heck my hands will work when the time comes. That's if I have to play on a stage in front of an audience. If I'm just sitting around with a bunch of other friends, I don't care.

But, that being said, I have a philosophy on performing in front of others, particularly other musicians. It DOES help me to a certain degree, and it certainly helps get me up there in the first place. Here's my philosophy, and pardon me, but I'm going to be blunt.......

Anyone who is more skilled than I am at guitar, has been where I am now. Anyone who is not as skilled as I am on guitar, wishes they were. Nobody, NOBODY, goes from A to Z without experiencing all the other letters in between. Any skilled musician who would think poorly of a less-skilled player is a complete *** as far as I'm concerned. That, to me, is a sign of snobbery. When I see a group of newbie guitar players at the local talent show, I applaud as hard as I can and am so proud of them for getting up there. That's the way it should be.

Anyway, that's my rant. Doug, I say go for it!! I'll show up and applaud as loud as I can! Plus, you're a great guitar player!!

het man,just try to imagine that ereryone in the crowd except you are naked. thats what i do an it seems to work fine.when im on stage i look at noone except the band ,an the hot chicks ofcourse,an think about nothing but what im doing.in other words block everyone out except the music.an the hot chicks of course.but sometimes the chicks will throw you off to.just think obout the music you are playing an youll be fine.it is such a rush playing in front of a crowd an very addictave.good luck,stage fright is only in our mind.

het man' date='just try to imagine that ereryone in the crowd except you are naked. thats what i do an it seems to work fine.when im on stage i look at noone except the band ,an the hot chicks ofcourse,an think about nothing but what im doing.in other words block everyone out except the music.an the hot chicks of course.but sometimes the chicks will throw you off to.just think obout the music you are playing an youll be fine.it is such a rush playing in front of a crowd an very addictave.good luck,stage fright is only in our mind.[/quote']

Careful.... That technique has been known to cause unintended consequeces that a guit tar just doesn't cover up. =P~

When I first started playing and singing 20 odd years ago (and odd they were at times!) it was very difficult. I found that over time it became much easier, and more so as I worked with the same folks in a stable band. I found that even though I was often the "band leader" I gradually came to the view that it wasn't about me, but the music and the band. Playing in a band is really a team effort--and you're in it together. So what little stage fright I have now is directed toward thoughts such as hoping that WE play well, WE have a good night, etc. I'm often the sound guy, and roadie in addition to guitarist/singer. So, in many cases I've had a couple hours of work in the venue--so that helps to be more comfortable, and also to be focused on what technical aspects (monitor mix, etc) are in my control to ensure a good performance. Sound check is also helpful as there's always a few folks around listening to allow a warm up and kind of get comfortable before show time. Solo is harder though.

I can be playing on my sofa......flawlessly nailing a blues song....and my neighbor will come over. I will say, "Hey, watch this!", and when I play it for him.....I screw up twenty times....lol....it appears to be mind over matter......in other words, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.....

I have to say, I think it's one of those things that's so personal. I enjoy working a crowd, whether I'm teaching a middle school history class, playing guitar or telling a story at a party. I remember the first time I played in public - high school battle of the bands - we were the last act (best slot!) and it was in a standing-room only auditorium - a couple thousand folks, people lined up along the walls. I remember walking out and taking a moment just to take in the crowd, it was great. I played my best, hit the hard notes, etc. For me, the challenge has been how do I stop looking like I'm concentrating on playing so much and look like I'm having fun - go from musician to entertainer. That I've done done yet, but then again, I don't play in public much at all. Busking is on my bucket list, though.

The best advice you've gotten is just do it. The rush from the wild cheering when you're done will encourage you more than anything.

:-)

Thanks... good comments all. I appreciate the encouragement. I can and will do this; it is part of the next step in my playing development - a good stretch and challenge.

Thanks Karen... you're such a charming liar! :o

Drathbun:

Please refer to my 4/23 post page 2, "Acoustic Explanation". They don't call me , The Hall Groper for nothing. I still grope the walls in the halls before I play. I'd worry if I didn't. Hang tight and it's all your's to enjoy.

Steve

Archived