Gibson Brands Forums

NCAA Elite 8

RBSin To, here is a bit about basketball;

Rules for the offense

The basketball team on offense is the team with the basketball. When a player has the basketball there are certain rules they must follow:

1) The player must bounce, or dribble, the ball with one hand while moving both feet. If, at any time, both hands touch the ball or the player stops dribbling, the player must only move one foot. The foot that is stationary is called the pivot foot.

2) The basketball player can only take one turn at dribbling. In other words, once a player has stopped dribbling they cannot start another dribble. A player who starts dribbling again is called for a double-dribbling violation and looses the basketball to the other team. A player can only start another dribble after another player from either team touches or gains control of the basketball. This is usually after a shot or pass.

3) The ball must stay in bounds. If the offensive team looses the ball out of bounds the other team gets control of the basketball.

4) Just kidding! Ha Ha, but here is a link if you really want to know more.   https://www.ducksters.com/sports/basketballrules.php

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m pulling for Gonzaga cause Cal never makes it anymore.

The University of Illinois and The University of Alabama both won upsets!

Since Nick Saban left Bama, football is being replaced by Basketball.

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m pulling for Gonzaga cause Cal never makes it anymore.

Sarge, I've no idea what a Gonzaga is, but I recall it being the earliest ever recording of Led Zep bootlegs I have heard - 1968.

And it sounds kind of cool. So count me in!

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

Sarge, I've no idea what a Gonzaga is, but I recall it being the earliest ever recording of Led Zep bootlegs I have heard - 1968.

It’s a college in Washington State. They were in the tournament till last night. They lost.

3 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

RBSin To, here is a bit about basketball;

Rules for the offense

The basketball team on offense is the team with the basketball. When a player has the basketball there are certain rules they must follow:

1) The player must bounce, or dribble, the ball with one hand while moving both feet. If, at any time, both hands touch the ball or the player stops dribbling, the player must only move one foot. The foot that is stationary is called the pivot foot.

2) The basketball player can only take one turn at dribbling. In other words, once a player has stopped dribbling they cannot start another dribble. A player who starts dribbling again is called for a double-dribbling violation and looses the basketball to the other team. A player can only start another dribble after another player from either team touches or gains control of the basketball. This is usually after a shot or pass.

3) The ball must stay in bounds. If the offensive team looses the ball out of bounds the other team gets control of the basketball.

4) Just kidding! Ha Ha, but here is a link if you really want to know more.   https://www.ducksters.com/sports/basketballrules.php

Sheepdog1969,

Thanks, but no thanks.

The game bores me to tears, and I have absolutely no interest in it at any level: NCAA or NBA.

RBSinTo

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

When will they be down to none?

RBSinTo

Next weekend it’s 4 teams. So 2 games. Then the Final Game of 2 colleges. This is a win or go home tournament.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That’s Gorgonzola. 

Chief,

So the Gonzaga team is called the Gorgonzolas?

Very catchy nickname. 

I suppose there is a cheeses on the front of their shirts?

RBSinTo

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Sheepdog1969,

Thanks, but no thanks.

The game bores me to tears, and I have absolutely no interest in it at any level: NCAA or NBA.

RBSinTo

NBA, NHL, Baseball and NCAA B Ball I do not watch till the playoffs or the tournament.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)

Tonight is:

Illinois vs U Conn

Clemson vs Alabama 

RBS, Clemson is not a cheese either. And Scales, Clemson is a college in South Carolina.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, 'Scales said:

In a few years you will not be able to tell the difference between the NCAA college sports and the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

We get most major American sports here on ESPN and such - I quite like the MLB and Nascar races as something to have on in the background that I'll watch for a few minutes here and there between going about my day as they go for so long (your night sports start about 9am here). I will sometimes watch a game of your football (gridiron) mainly in the finals like when Detroit were close to doing something unexpected this year, ....but basketball or Ice Hockey seldom if ever. I see we get college level Football and Basketball too but haven't ever watched any. 

23 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Sheepdog1969,

Thanks, but no thanks.

RBSinTo

I guess I appreciate sports where it seems there is a semblance of tactics and strategy.   Throwing the ball back and forth until one of you gets a clear shot at shooting at the basket is all I see happening.   Maybe because I've never had an interest in spending the time required to understand the fine points of the game.  My father loved to watch it on TV after he retired. 

45 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I guess I appreciate sports where it seems there is a semblance of tactics and strategy.   Throwing the ball back and forth until one of you gets a clear shot at shooting at the basket is all I see happening.   Maybe because I've never had an interest in spending the time required to understand the fine points of the game.  My father loved to watch it on TV after he retired. 

Remember driving a car and turning left is a sport. Ok they do it at high speeds. To me sport has a ball or a puck and you have to do it against an opponent or a team. I can go golfing by myself that’s an activity, but I have to  play tennis against somebody. 

34 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I had no idea basketball was that dangerous. 

Them college kids are throwing elbows under the rim when rebounding. And as the Buffalo said in the commercial you gotta Box Out. It’s fundamentals.