Gibson Brands Forums

Profit Margin Vs Price

So here is an Epi LP Melody Maker E1 coming in at a very affordable $179. So that is the out the door all day price at any store, and it also has to make the company a profit. So how much does a guitar costing that much, or little depending on how you look at actually cost to make?

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIS5Q712/Ebony

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

^ lol ^

KS how come you don’t have red lettering on your stage name like Phil the mod does? Is he a custom mod  and your just a standard one?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So here is an Epi LP Melody Maker E1 coming in at a very affordable $179. So that is the out the door all day price at any store, and it also has to make the company a profit. So how much dues a guitar costing that much, or little depending on how you look at actually cost to make?

Chief,

I have no idea what these guitars cost to make, but when one considers that they are undoubtedly made overseas, and  the price takes shipping into account, it can't be very much.

But the good news is neither you or I will ever buy one, so why worry about it?

RBSinTo

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

I have no idea what these guitars cost to make, but when one considers that they are undoubtedly made overseas, and  the price takes shipping into account, it can't be very much.

But the good news is neither you or I will ever buy one, so why worry about it?

RBSinTo

Forgot about shipping cost. I’m going with $35 total parts and labor. And that may even be overestimating.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So here is an Epi LP Melody Maker E1 coming in at a very affordable $179. So that is the out the door all day price at any store, and it also has to make the company a profit. So how much dues a guitar costing that much, or little depending on how you look at actually cost to make?

Many years ago I  bought my son and (at that time) D-I-L a matching pair of Epi Black guitars....one was a Dove the other was a Hummingbird.   I think the price was $350 for each....I bought them hardshell cases...... Couch straps.....tuners..... picks..... was probably just over $425 each, (brand-new), when I gave them to them.....they're pretty nice guitars, (I made a couple of videos with them before I gave them to them (Christmas).    Of course, the ex-D-I-L took hers.... probably ended up in a pawn shop somewhere.... my son still has his....I got a professional set-up on it.

If price is a consideration, they really aren't bad.   I seriously doubt my Gibson Dove and Gibson Hummingbird are ten times better....they ARE better....but not 10 times!

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Forgot about shipping cost. I’m going with $35 total parts and labor. And that may even be overestimating.

Chief,

They may be the result of a Marketing decision to build a "gateway" guitar to introduce Epiphone and ultimately Gibson electric guitars at an excellent price. Or perhaps dealer loss-leaders to stimulate store business.

Or even the result of a ultimatum to an off-shore supplier. " Make these guys for next to nothing, and get another contract for our better lines. Or else.

Who knows? 

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The fact that I used an Epi’s is not my point. I just saw it at a crazy low price and thought that’s so cheap, or another word affordable. How much are they really profiting? I could have posted the least expensive or any Gibson, Martin and so on. One has to factor in, first how many man hours are going in to making it, and multiply that by their hourly wage, and then what is the actual cost of all the raw materials, and the stuff you have to buy to assemble it, and finish it. Also do you get a case, gig bag, or nothing to store it in. And then ship it somewhere. And lastly, how much profit do they want to make.

I know I will never actually learn the figure of what it cost to make it vs their profit. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

KS how come you don’t have red lettering on your stage name like Phil the mod does? Is he a custom mod  and your just a standard one?

He's in the admin realm. He not only has the keys to the executive washroom, he also has the key to the paper towel dispenser. I've been a mod since.... 2009? I don't know. They haven't fired me yet. But I also wipe my hands on my pants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I bought this direct from Fender shortly before Christmas for $139 shipped. So they sold it for about $100. It's stupid good. I don't know how they do it. I added the Martian chick. And they had the control plate flipped over like Bill Kirchen has his, and about half the Telecaster population nowadays. Amazing they made that guitar since 1950 and it's only been in the last few years we were told how wrong it was. By the same type of people who insisted a guitar wasn't a guitar unless it had a locking nut, Floyd Rose, Sperzel tuners, active electronics and dropped down to C#. I don't follow the "in crowd". I put it back where Leo left it.

UkuWY9z.jpg

• Like 1

The thing is all the shops are doing it now, making their own brands from cheap asian guitars and what they make these days are much better than ever before...  Like this one for £179..  

I dont know how they do it for that price either

And this one £135

Edited by Rabs

17 minutes ago, Rabs said:

The thing is all the shops are doing it now, making their own brands from cheap asian  guitars they make these days are much better than ever before...  Like this one for £179..  

I dont know how they do it for that price either

And this one £135

Rabs,

We will likely never know. But isn't it enough to know that they do?

RBSinTo

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rabs,

We will likely never know. But isn't it enough to know that they do?

RBSinTo

Well it depends I guess..  If they do it by exploiting people and using illegally cut wood then yeah, that would be an issue. Im not saying they do that but it is mad just how cheap they can do it for.

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Well it depends I guess..  If they do it by exploiting people and using illegally cut wood then yeah, that would be an issue. Im not saying they do that but it is mad just how cheap they can do it for.

China has never ever exploited its people. Wait it’s happening right now there. Never mind.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

China has never ever exploited its people. Wait it’s happening right now there. Never mind.

Chief,

The sad reality is that exploitation of people, whether by governments, corporations or private individuals is, and always has been a fact of life.

And it isn't limited to third world countries, so be careful where you point your fingers.

RBSinTo

22 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

The sad reality is that exploitation of people, whether by governments, corporations or private individuals is, and always has been a fact of life.

And it isn't limited to third world countries, so be careful where you point your fingers.

RBSinTo

Canada is too polite a country to exploit its work force. You guys/girls are excluded.

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Canada is too polite a country to exploit its work force. You guys/girls are excluded.

Chief,

Not so.

Not surprisingly, it happens here as well.

RBSinTo

Interesting that they have built a melody maker as a true beginner guitar like in the old days - and looks ok in Vintage Sunburst and probably plays adequately for the purpose.

On price - they have just released those expensive 'inspired by Gibson' guitars so you'd have to look at it on an overall basis I would think - make good on some products and maybe near zero on others, so its not like these are the only thing you sell so how can you run a factory on such slim margins...it doesn't work that way so you don't. My thoughts were "nice work Epiphone - lets see how the dodgy Chibson builders match that!" - maybe a few might cease business....and if you wonder how little they make on these, then it stands to also wonder how much profit is made on the standard US models that cost 10-12 times that, let alone the high price custom stuff - its the business of the business.

Exploitation? - I doubt the workers are paid less to do the minimal assembly work on a $180 guitar versus the same minimal assembly on a $1200 guitar in an automated factory, but I don't work there so can't say for sure - how much work is actually required (versus say Rabs building a Rabswood from a block of timber) anyway? They probably aren't paid a big wage but they may well also not be up to their eyeballs in college/truck payment/credit card/healthcare/mortgage/ etc debt either, so hopefully it is working out ok for them. 

2023 (late) SSS Squire HT Stratocaster by Fender, (Crafted in Indonesia), ordered direct from Fender (no case); $135.00-10% (coupon) = $121.50 +IL tax, free shipping.  After mods, (all parts, did the labor myself) = $399.00. 

2023 Inspired by Gibson Epiphone ES-335 Traditional Pro, (made in China), ordered directly from Epiphone:  $549.00 + IL tax ,  Hard case: $129.00 + Il tax

1987 Gibson SG Special (Made in the USA & purchased new in 1987):   $1,000.00  w/chainsaw case + IL tax

2YcCrth.jpg

Edited by Sheepdog1969

Posted (edited)

1000 bucks in ‘87 seems high to me. It’s 2024 and SG Specials are now 1600. That’s a price increase of only 600 bucks over the course of 37 years. Or a price increase of 16 bucks a year. 

Gibson seems to increase their price on stuff by a few hundred bucks ever year now. Hell all makers do.

Glad you included the verbage Made In The USA. Haven’t they always, Gibson’s that is?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

1000 bucks in ‘87 seems high to me.

It was a HS graduation gift from my parents, and they probably just paid what the GC guy told them it would be with the case, (or what ever other BS he may have thrown them). I do have the original sales receipt in my safe somewhere and it says $999.99 + Il tax.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson seems to increase their price on stuff by a few hundred bucks ever year now. Hell all makers do.

maybe not Sarge - according to this (undoubtedly knowledgeable) article by a certain smiling and dapper looking Phil O'Keefe,  back 10 years ago the Les Paul Standard was $5,014.00 MSRP, $2,942.00 "street", and if I look now at the Gibson website...well, its a bit confusing cos there are 50's, 60's, Modern etc but best I can tell a Les Paul Standard is between $2499 and $2999.  [confused]

https://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/guitars/2014-gibson-les-paul-standard-r137/

My parents bought me an Aria Pro ll "The Cat" model about same time as Sheepdog's did - I think it was about $480 at the time. Guitars cost quite a bit in 1980's salary terms.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 'Scales said:

maybe not Sarge - according to this (undoubtedly knowledgeable) article by a certain smiling and dapper looking Phil O'Keefe,  back 10 years ago the Les Paul Standard was $5,014.00 MSRP, $2,942.00 "street", and if I look now at the Gibson website...well, its a bit confusing cos there are 50's, 60's, Modern etc but best I can tell a Les Paul Standard is between $2499 and $2999.  [confused]

https://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/guitars/2014-gibson-les-paul-standard-r137/

My parents bought me an Aria Pro ll "The Cat" model about same time as Sheepdog's did - I think it was about $480 at the time. Guitars cost quite a bit in 1980's salary terms.

Gibson’s prices on their website are the exact same advertised prices in the music stores in the US. Years ago what was on their site and stores prices were way off. MSPR is what they suggest it should be sold for and a lot more than what the store pays Gibson for one. Remember both have to make a profit. Once the guitar leaves the factory and goes to any store it’s now the stores and they can charge whatever they want for it. It’s not Gibson’s guitar anymore. The store isn’t just selling it for the exact same price they paid  Gibson. If so, they would just be moving guitars for Gibson for free and that ain’t happening especially scumbag Guitar Center.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

If so, they would just be moving guitars for Gibson for free and that ain’t happening especially scumbag Guitar Center.

Guitar center has always been good to me..... I usually buy remote.... don't usually go into a store to 'shop'.

Bought my DIF from GC in SF....never went there....when I got it....it was PERFECT!

Bought my 'Bird from GC in SJ....told them over the phone to put it away so no 14 year-old put their grimy mitts on it and scratch it up.... I went to the store there to pick it up and it was PERFECT!

I bought a Fender Passport PA System from a GC on the East Coast.... it was PERFECT!

I got my J-50 (GILLIG Staff bought it for me) from a GC in Washington.....it was PERFECT!

Not sure how they could have done better.