Gibson Brands Forums

Profit Margin Vs Price

22 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Guitar center has always been good to me..... I usually buy remote.... don't usually go into a store to 'shop'.

Bought my DIF from GC in SF....never went there....when I got it....it was PERFECT!

Bought my 'Bird from GC in SJ....told them over the phone to put it away so no 14 year-old put their grimy mitts on it and scratch it up.... I went to the store there to pick it up and it was PERFECT!

I bought a Fender Passport PA System from a GC on the East Coast.... it was PERFECT!

I got my J-50 (GILLIG Staff bought it for me) from a GC in Washington.....it was PERFECT!

Not sure how they could have done better.

As a 16 year old kid GC in San Jose on Bascom Ave saw me coming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As a 16 year old kid GC in San Jose on Bascom Ave saw me coming.

Maybe it was YOU ...  I had them keep  your mitts off my new 'Bird!

Edited by DanvillRob

18 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah....but I bought it years ago!

Shoot....I've got liver spots older than 57!

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got fingers and toes that are 57.

Boys, boys, boys.

I've got underwear older than the two of you.......and I'm wearing it.

RBSinTo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Boys, boys, boys.

I've got underwear older than the two of you.......and I'm wearing it.

RBSinTo

Yeah....we KNOW!

At least now you've figured out that yellow goes to the front and brown goes to the rear!

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

October, 1966 I was making national news....

I was sucking a teet.

I do have 2 kids that are drinking age.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was sucking a teet.

I do have 2 kids that are drinking age.

Funny.... I was in the October, 1966 issue of Newsweek Magazine.... one of our old managers had a Zerox copy of the article.

Glad we just talked about this....I ordered an old copy of Newsweek, October, 1966....cost me $45, but I dind't have one.

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Yeah....we KNOW!

At least now you've figured out that yellow goes to the front and brown goes to the rear!

Rob,

Don't need to remember stuff like that anymore since I started wearing  Depends  full time.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2024 at 2:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

So here is an Epi LP Melody Maker E1 coming in at a very affordable $179. So that is the out the door all day price at any store, and it also has to make the company a profit. So how much does a guitar costing that much, or little depending on how you look at actually cost to make?

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIS5Q712/Ebony

There are a zillion YT videos about everything guitars, but that's the one you never see Guitars How they keep the price down. 

Ok, someone bought a $179 guitar and its amazing. There are things to consider though.

1/ Labour costs only account for a fraction of the cost cutting. 

2/ Hardly anyone can find out where the hardware, electrical components etc come from or who made them. 

3/ These guitars make a profit.

4/ That whole guitar cost less than one high end pickup. 

ok its still maybe an amazing guitar, so why don't the makers want to regale us with the construction details outlined above? 

I've disassembled a very cheap guitar (cheaper than that one). The level of penny pinching at every level was incredible. It should never have been built. Here is the nasty POS if your interested

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2024 at 9:12 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson seems to increase their price on stuff by a few hundred bucks ever year now. Hell all makers do.

I know I already responded to this, but I just thought of something.

It has been 37 years since I got my '87 SG. (purchased new in '87)  If Gibson increased the cost of a SG Special @ $200 per year since 1987, it's price now would be $7,400 MORE than what it had sold for in 1987. Even @ $100 per year, it would be $3,700 more than it's original sales price. I think a $16 buck per year sounds reasonable, if indeed this is the average yearly increase for SG Specials form '87 to '24, (as you stated).

Edited by Sheepdog1969

Okay, I can’t stand it.  Jumping in with a reality check: It’s simple to do the math:  The SG standard in 1961 cost $265.00.  

In today’s dollars, thanks to inflation, this an equivalent list price of $2,768.16.

You can buy a brand new ‘61 standard reissue for $2,399, and a modern version for $2,499.  

Gibson mainline prices have actually dropped, and in comparison are more affordable than they were “back in the good ol’ days.”  

All hail the CNC machines.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Okay, I can’t stand it.  Jumping in with a reality check: It’s simple to do the math:  The SG standard in 1961 cost $265.00.  

In today’s dollars, thanks to inflation, this an equivalent list price of $2,768.16.

You can buy a brand new ‘61 standard reissue for $2,399, and a modern version for $2,499.  

Gibson mainline prices have actually dropped, and in comparison are more affordable than they were “back in the good ol’ days.”  

What will the price be in 2087 money for one. We have to wait and see. The whole it cost xxx in ‘61 and that’s equivalent to xxx today is just silly to me. What would a ‘61 J-45 be if they made them in 1901 as compared to today, $4? It’s a ridiculous comparison. Things cost what they do, now and back then too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Yep, that sounds about right. I think so even in nominal terms over last decade in the main (see earlier post page 1). 

CNCs and Boomers with disposable $$$ [thumbup]

Edited by 'Scales

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Sunburst Stratocaster with 3 pickups and trem in 1961: $289.00 (source)

You can buy a brand new American Professional II Stratocaster - 3 Color Sunburst for $1,799.99 (link

Posted (edited)

Why did people horde toilet paper when there was a new virus unleashed on Earth that affected your respiratory system, but not your gastrointestinal tract, foolishness, that’s why?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...

I played a new Epiphone Melody maker at my Local shop last week - probably need a slight setup but the Fret ends where smooth and it played well.  The Pickups were OK and it was very light. So for 179.00 not a bad Guitar at all.   I have a Gibson Melody maker that I would never sell.....