Gibson Brands Forums

Billie Joe Armstron - "Bon Jovi are the worst band we've ever toured with" Guest Farnsbarns By Guest Farnsbarns September 14, 2012 in The Gibson Lounge

Posted (edited)

Sarge!

Tell us how you really feel.

Haters gotta hate.  But I feel ya' man.  There's music out there we love and music out there we hate.  I can honestly say I've never heard a Taylor Swift song.  Never.  Never listened.  Never wanted to.

Green Day.... Meh!  Not interested.  I'll pass.  I've seen harder working more talented musicians toil away for years grinding out an existence and not make it to the big time for various reasons.  

Recently, I saw an article in Guitar Player Magazine about a guy named Jonny Polansky.  I first saw Polansky at one of those festival shows in Irvine, CA way back in 1996. He was there in support of his first album Hi My Name is Jonny. It would become a critically acclaimed release.  He didn't play the big stage then.  No he was on the smaller secondary stage grinding it out. Pouring everything he had into his performance, I remember thinking at the time, man he's really killing it.  During his set Polansky moved to the front of the stage and took a tumble over the edge.  He fell hard and it was right in front of me.  Bloodied and battered he managed his way back up onto the stage and kept on going.  Brutal! But LONG LIVE ROCK-N-ROLL!!!

But that's how it is.  For every band that becomes relevant, there's countless others that don't.

Edited by Californiaman
ROCK-N-ROLL!!!

Listened to the radio (thing that plays music for free for those that don’t know what one is) this morning and love the Boston intro to Long Time… just wondered my bands/musicians/whatever we call them these days don’t do things like this anymore… that intro rocks. Guitars, more than just a cool looking thing that you hold onto on stage. In the case of the song of interest here, organs… well you don’t hold onto them, but they just have that sound that gets the rocking going. What songs have GD or TS made - or anyone these days - where there are instrumental intros that would even make me feel half as inspired as say radio favorite Long Time? I’m going out on a limb and saying this hasn’t happened. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Heroes…. Choose wisely. 

He suffered from substance abuse, yeah. But he went to rehab to get better and is a much better person today, so yeah I would call him my hero.

51 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Listened to the radio (thing that plays music for free for those that don’t know what one is) this morning and love the Boston intro to Long Time… just wondered my bands/musicians/whatever we call them these days don’t do things like this anymore… that intro rocks. Guitars, more than just a cool looking thing that you hold onto on stage. In the case of the song of interest here, organs… well you don’t hold onto them, but they just have that sound that gets the rocking going. What songs have GD or TS made - or anyone these days - where there are instrumental intros that would even make me feel half as inspired as say radio favorite Long Time? I’m going out on a limb and saying this hasn’t happened. 

In all honestly I could do without the 3 minute organ solo before the guitar swells in.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Me personally, I would argue that the intro to The American Dream is Killing me is, but good intro's are also opinion's. I'm also not a Boston fan, so idk

On 5/1/2024 at 12:14 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Cool you listen to them. More for you and less for me. 50 year olds dressing like 20 something hipsters to look cool to the younger crowd. Lame like their music. Oh Jovi blows too.

I thought Armstrong had a “G” in it?

Lemme tell you that nobody in the "Younger Crowd" dresses like them. They dress like they always did, punk. Crazy that they try to dress in the genre that they play 🙄

On 5/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

This post is so cringey lol 

American idiot is about as punk as Avril Lavigne.. it’s not even art, it’s a commercial product. 

If you like McDonalds that’s fine but you’ll have a hard time convincing people that McDonalds makes the best burger in the world. They have sold a lot of burgers but that doesn’t mean it’s good food 

Even I'll be honest, American idiot isn't my top album by them. I prefer albums like 21CB or Warning. I just said that because that was one of their most commercially successful album, whether or not you liked it, a LOT of people did.

15 minutes ago, duane v said:

In all honestly I could do without the 3 minute organ solo before the guitar swells in.

It’s not really an organ solo. It’s a band all jamming together very tight doing a great job raising the energy level. Then of course the tone of the guitar once it comes front and center in the brief solo… wow! But today who cares about instrumental stuff? Music today is made to be corporate crap that sells to the least common denominator. We are afraid to criticize the likes of what’s “popular” because you’re a hater - haha! Just such a watered down take on something that used to be good. YMMV

2 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

It’s not really an organ solo. It’s a band all jamming together very tight doing a great job raising the energy level. Then of course the tone of the guitar once it comes front and center in the brief solo… wow! But today who cares about instrumental stuff? Music today is made to be corporate crap that sells to the least common denominator. We are afraid to criticize the likes of what’s “popular” because you’re a hater - haha! Just such a watered down take on something that used to be good. YMMV

If you're looking for modern stuff that's got cool instrumental parts I highly recommend indie music, bands I like in that scene are IDKHow, Tally Hall, and Jukebox the Ghost.

54 minutes ago, The CB said:

He suffered from substance abuse, yeah. But he went to rehab to get better and is a much better person today, so yeah I would call him my hero.

thats always a good thing. 

49 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

What could be more corporate than Love Me Do by the Beatles...... That song is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt..... And my ears

Corporate Punk Rock. No. Better yet, Marxist Punk Rock.   I think I've found my new musical direction.

I can sing about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).  Or rage about companies and their responsibility to insure policies that are reflective of the Environment, Social Change, and Governance (ESG).  Or, maybe, with the right inspiration, I can write songs about cultural marxism and equality of outcomes.  If that's not a top-10-hit song then maybe I'll sing about Critical Race Theory and the importance of having the school system indoctrinate your children so as to insure outcomes that fit the paradigm.  Wave the hammer and the sickle proudly.  Or better yet hoist the rainbow flag high above the white house.  Oh yeah.  A new, new wave of punk is about to be unleashed on America.  It'll spread from coast to coast.  No longer will we have to listen to the dronings of Sean Hannity, Dan Bongino, Jordan Peterson or Doctor Phil.  No. We will embrace the feminist leaders on The View and Transgender Ideology will be our maantra.  Into the bonfire of history go religion, morality, and common sense.

Ah yes, power and creativity.  Rage against the machine.  Fundamentally Transform America.  You didn't build it.  Someone else did.  The Occupiers are the Oppressors.  Colonialism equals Fascists.  We will be the new order.  Anything goes, Amoral, Agnostics we will be redefine the norm.  Progressivism coupled with Marxism.  We will achieve more than Karl Marx ever imagined.  Totalitarianism where the State is your God.

Oh! Wow.  What happened?  I must have blacked out there for a minute. Did I write that?  Wow.  Californiaman must've taken a little too much of his prescription this afternoon.  Wait, what's this, "Take with food."  Whoops. Skipped lunch but not the pills.

Oh yeah, I'm going to be a maga mega star.

3 hours ago, duane v said:

What could be more corporate than Love Me Do by the Beatles...... That song is so sweet it makes my teeth hurt..... And my ears

Glad you like it that much. If we are talking about corporate music, had to start somewhere. Not saying all music that was mass marketed was bad, but today’s corporate culture and what’s marketed today doesn’t have much to be desired - and it isn’t even just this era. It is what it is, I choose to not listen to that stuff as I have for years. Would be nice if music such as classic rock from the 60s and 70s was a thing today where we could actually think of timeless rock tunes being made today. I can’t name one after this era. Not saying all music after this era was garbage - before we go there. Willing to bet though I have a strong bias. Whatever, we all have them. 

Honestly I'm tired of classic rock..... I mean how many times can you listen to Hotel California...

I like listening to new stuff just to see what people are trying to do. And I find a lot of it is quite good. 

4 minutes ago, duane v said:

Honestly I'm tired of classic rock..... I mean how many times can you listen to Hotel California...

I like listening to new stuff just to see what people are trying to do. And I find a lot of it is quite good. 

All the power to you. People can like whatever they want. I don’t think all new things are bad either - just to mention. I get into all sorts of rock from what’s called classic to heavy metal. There’s newer stuff for that today that’s alright I guess. 

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Glad you like it that much. If we are talking about corporate music, had to start somewhere. Not saying all music that was mass marketed was bad, but today’s corporate culture and what’s marketed today doesn’t have much to be desired - and it isn’t even just this era. It is what it is, I choose to not listen to that stuff as I have for years. Would be nice if music such as classic rock from the 60s and 70s was a thing today where we could actually think of timeless rock tunes being made today. I can’t name one after this era. Not saying all music after this era was garbage - before we go there. Willing to bet though I have a strong bias. Whatever, we all have them. 

I want to point out that it's been well documented that this is what killed rock-n-roll.

24 minutes ago, duane v said:

Duane, here's a relatively new band that I'm kind of digging.  Hope you do too.

This is so cool. Live Direct to Vinyl.  Are you kidding me! Sweet!

Edited by Californiaman
Rock-n-Roll

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The CB said:

Lemme tell you that nobody in the "Younger Crowd" dresses like them. They dress like they always did, punk. Crazy that they try to dress in the genre that they play 🙄

Why? Are there Prog clothes, and I played in Frank Zappa’s band clothes, and String Quartet clothes? Don’t put on a uniform just to do it. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Nice BJA got clean many don’t. How about don’t put that s-hit in your body. Heroin kills, it’s not a new thing. But cool kids gotta try it cause rock stars do it. 

5 hours ago, duane v said:

Love The Lads, but for me they didn’t get going till Rubber Soul, but that said, what they were doing at the time on the first 5 albums, was 200x better then whatever The Stones or anyone else was doing.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice BJA got clean many don’t. How about don’t put that s-hit in your body. Heroin kills, it’s not a new thing. But cool kids gotta try it cause rock stars do it. 

You think he did it because "Rock Stars do it"? He grew up in a home that already had addiction problems, it's something that was built up from family issues, just as it is for hundreds of other people. Not only does this comment do him a disservice, but it does to so many others. 

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why? Are there Prog clothes, and I played in Frank Zappa’s band clothes, and String Quartet clothes? Don’t put on a uniform just to do it. 

Prog is fusion music, it is rock and usually folk or classical mixed with even broader influences, so no, however, there might be more traditional/common clothing for the genre you fuse it with. However, when it comes to punk or rock, there are similar and well-established styles. Notably leather, dark clothes, and denim. 

6 hours ago, Californiaman said:

Corporate Punk Rock. No. Better yet, Marxist Punk Rock.   I think I've found my new musical direction.

I can sing about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).  Or rage about companies and their responsibility to insure policies that are reflective of the Environment, Social Change, and Governance (ESG).  Or, maybe, with the right inspiration, I can write songs about cultural marxism and equality of outcomes.  If that's not a top-10-hit song then maybe I'll sing about Critical Race Theory and the importance of having the school system indoctrinate your children so as to insure outcomes that fit the paradigm.  Wave the hammer and the sickle proudly.  Or better yet hoist the rainbow flag high above the white house.  Oh yeah.  A new, new wave of punk is about to be unleashed on America.  It'll spread from coast to coast.  No longer will we have to listen to the dronings of Sean Hannity, Dan Bongino, Jordan Peterson or Doctor Phil.  No. We will embrace the feminist leaders on The View and Transgender Ideology will be our maantra.  Into the bonfire of history go religion, morality, and common sense.

Ah yes, power and creativity.  Rage against the machine.  Fundamentally Transform America.  You didn't build it.  Someone else did.  The Occupiers are the Oppressors.  Colonialism equals Fascists.  We will be the new order.  Anything goes, Amoral, Agnostics we will be redefine the norm.  Progressivism coupled with Marxism.  We will achieve more than Karl Marx ever imagined.  Totalitarianism where the State is your God.

Oh! Wow.  What happened?  I must have blacked out there for a minute. Did I write that?  Wow.  Californiaman must've taken a little too much of his prescription this afternoon.  Wait, what's this, "Take with food."  Whoops. Skipped lunch but not the pills.

Oh yeah, I'm going to be a maga mega star.

Marxist Punk Rock? So... Leftist Punk Rock? Whoa, you cracked the code man, I mean I never thought that American Idiot could have been promoting Left Winged Ideas?!/s

You act like punk rock isn't supposed to be political,  that is what makes it punk. If they weren't political they'd be just a Rock or Pop-Rock band. Same with the Ramones, same with sex pistols.

On 5/1/2024 at 11:40 AM, Californiaman said:

It's ironic how the punk genre has devolved from an anti societal rant

Like slipping from the gutter to ... where?

• Upvote 1