Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

I was up in the DFW area for a few days for my granddaughter’s college graduation, I found this on the local Craig’s List.  An Ibanez Rg8.  After buying a 7 string several years back, I contemplated adding an 8 string to my collection without breaking the bank.  So far, so good.  The specs on the neck (width, thickness, etc.) are almost identical to the specs on my 6 string Ibanez bass.  So it feels very comfortable right away.  I have it tuned to Drop E at the moment.  It appears that it’s strung with the factory string gauge (9-65).  A little floppy on the very low E (8th or 3rd E string in this tuning) string.  If I decide to keep the drop tuning, I will most likely go with a heavier gauge.  The specs for the neck/fretboard are almost identical to the neck/fretboard on my 6 string Ibanez bass.  Except for the difference in string spacing between the 6 string bass and the RG8, it has been a seamless transition.

I'm have always been a person who gets bored easily and constantly seeks out new horizons to push my limits.  There are those in the bass community who view 5 and especially 6 string basses as absolute heresy.  (“Jaco only needed 4 strings.”).  And I know there are plenty of guitar players out there with the same mindset: “Clapton, Page, B.B., etc., only needed 6 strings.”  True.  But I have other ideas.  So let the games begin with the “haters.”  LOL

FBUy7qI.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

I own 4 String Bass’, 6 String Acoustic’s & Electric’s plus several 12 String Acoustic’s & Electric’s.. I’ve been wanting a Fender Bass VI too….

No beef from me.. Congrats & enjoy!

Edited by Larsongs

8 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I own 4 String Bass’, 6 String Acoustic’s & Electric’s plus several 12 String Acoustic’s & Electric’s.. I’ve been wanting a Fender Bass VI too….

You da man!  Thanks for the kind words.  😁

10 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

You do not have to apologize to anybody.
(Never had an 8-string. Is the lowest string a "G" in standard tuning?)

F# in standard.  Although Ibanez factory tuning is down a half-step.  I’ll probably give that tuning a try for awhile too.

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Sweet. It looks to be in excellent shape. Congrats, let us know how you get along with those extra strings.

It’s in great shape.  I don’t think the previous owner played it much.  Just used some Dunlop 65 to clean the gunk off. For $240.00 I’m very happy.

9 hours ago, sparquelito said:

This guy Jimmy loves his. 

A lot. 

😃

Yep, that was one of the videos I watched before I made my decision.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Don’t you have to be in Slipknot! to play one of those?

Nope.  Both Mick Thomson and Jim Root play 6 strings.  The only bands I can think of with 8 string players are Animals as Leaders, Deftones and Meshuggah, but there are probably others.

I apologize for the title of that guy's video; The Best Cheap 8 String.

I don't consider $450 to be 'cheap'. 
I view that dollar amount as 'affordable'. 

Cheap is a hundred bucks, in my world view. 

🙂

Here’s another video I watched before I bought it.  I will have to test out this theory the next time I pick up one of my 6 strings:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

HNGD - it's a beauty!

I think an 8 string guitar would give me two extra opportunities to play wrong notes 😉

Yeah, I did consider that fact.  When I bought my 7 string guitar back in 2015, I figured the extra string would present more and greater opportunities to increase my “suck factor.”  (Like I need any additional help).  Buying my 6 string bass offered the same possibilities on the low end.  Buying an 8 string guitar seemed like the logical next step.

On 5/12/2024 at 6:03 PM, sparquelito said:

I apologize for the title of that guy's video; The Best Cheap 8 String.

I don't consider $450 to be 'cheap'. 
I view that dollar amount as 'affordable'. 

Cheap is a hundred bucks, in my world view. 

🙂

No worries.  The title caught my eye when I was searching for videos.  Although Ibanez and other manufacturers seem to prefer the term “entry level.”  

8 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

No worries.  The title caught my eye when I was searching for videos.  Although Ibanez and other manufacturers seem to prefer the term “entry level.”  

Here's my scale:

$100 - Cheap
$200 - Bargain
$300 - Pawn shop prize
$400 - $500 - Reverb price range
$600 - Decent Fender, used
$700 to $1,000 - Price I'll pay for most new guitars
$1,150 to $1,300 - Most I have ever paid for a US-made Fender
$1,400 to $1,500 - Most I have ever paid for a Gibson
$2,000 and up - Whooo buddy.  That's somebody else's guitar right there, not mine. 

🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Here's my scale:

$100 - Cheap
$200 - Bargain
$300 - Pawn shop prize
$2,000 and up - Whooo buddy.  That's somebody else's guitar right there, not mine. 

🙂

Pretty much in line with my purchases over the years, with only my ES-335 falling into the “whoa buddy” range.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:08 PM, Larsongs said:

I reviewed one of the Squier Bass VI models when it first came out. I liked it so much I bought the review unit. I still have it, and I still like it. They've gone up quite a bit since then, but they're still the least expensive way to scratch that Bass VI itch. You might want to look into one. 

https://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/bass-guitars/squier-vintage-modified-bass-vi-r3/

No hate from me, tx-ogre! While I have no desire for one myself, and couldn't play one if I had one (due to my small hands), I can appreciate the extra range and musical possibilities of an extended instrument like that. 

HNGD! [thumbup]

10 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Yeah, I did consider that fact.  When I bought my 7 string guitar back in 2015, I figured the extra string would present more and greater opportunities to increase my “suck factor.”  (Like I need any additional help).  Buying my 6 string bass offered the same possibilities on the low end.  Buying an 8 string guitar seemed like the logical next step.

Guitar is my 7th instrument. 

While I played a little rhythm in bands, mostly barre chords, when there was no sax part, I didn't buy a guitar until I was in my 60s. Then I decided to play lead and learn more advanced chords too. I can do what I do fairly well, and feel comfortable doubling on guitar if the song isn't too challenging, but I would never take a guitar gig.

8 strings, even 7 strings, would be too much for me.

I played bass (4 string) during the psychedelic years, when nobody wanted to hear saxophones, so I wasn't afraid of the fretboard. 

I hope your new 8 string guitar agrees with you and gives you years of pure pleasure.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Guitar is my 7th instrument. 

While I played a little rhythm in bands, mostly barre chords, when there was no sax part, I didn't buy a guitar until I was in my 60s. Then I decided to play lead and learn more advanced chords too. I can do what I do fairly well, and feel comfortable doubling on guitar if the song isn't too challenging, but I would never take a guitar gig.

8 strings, even 7 strings, would be too much for me.

I played bass (4 string) during the psychedelic years, when nobody wanted to hear saxophones, so I wasn't afraid of the fretboard. 

I hope your new 8 string guitar agrees with you and gives you years of pure pleasure.

Notes ♫

You are way ahead of me.  I have a hard enough time trying to play just two (somewhat similar) instruments.  I can only imagine how clueless I would be trying to play that many instruments, regardless of how many years of experience I had.

So far, so good with the new guitar.  Since I have played a 7 string for several years, the transition to 8 strings has been relatively seamless.  However, I have decided that changing to a higher string gauge is in order.  The 9-65 set is WAY too light, even for F# standard tuning, let alone Drop E.  The 7th, and especially the 8th strings, are entirely too floppy.  I have no idea why Ibanez strings ALL of their 8 strings with the 9-65 set.   I already ordered some D’Addario NYXL 9-80s.  Definitely looking forward to hearing/feeling the difference.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:45 PM, sparquelito said:

Here's my scale:

$100 - Cheap
$200 - Bargain
$300 - Pawn shop prize

🙂

My first guitar was exactly a $600 used Fender 😄

• Like 1