Gibson Brands Forums

Talk me down off the roof?

This is for folks who have ordered used guitars through Guitar Center (Yes, I know some aren’t fond, but this is the game I played). This is the first time I’ve had something shipped from them.  

I’m looking for a bit of reassurance.  It’s not here yet, but I just noticed some weirdness with the Hummingbird I ordered on Saturday.  Does anyone know if GC includes the serial number in tracking used stuff in and out? 

I bit on a 2020 from a GC in North Carolina.  The pics made it appear to be an Original, with what looked like the antiqued binding and gold Gotohs, and pearly buttons. While the front pic was dim, you could tell there was definitely no dark burst. Maybe a natural, there was a hint of light shading around the bout so fingers crossed, the Heritage Cherry poorly lit.  It had an orange label, so even though the pics weren’t great it had the hallmarks of an Original.  

So I pushed the button relying on the GC “no questions” return promise if turns out to be a sunken, fretless, twisted neck dog. 

So, here’s the concern: I just noticed my order confirmation says “Hummingbird Standard, Vintage Burst” and the thumbnail pic is  just the blank, “coming soon. “ I KNOW what I ordered was not a vintage burst. 

So then I noticed there was no product SKU on my order conf, or on the original posting (I had taken a screen shot of the label just before I put it in my cart). So there is no way to confirm that the guitar coming is the one I ordered, if it’s the wrong one.   

Now, if it plays great and the condition is good, I’ll be bummed it’s a dark burst, and not the original, given they are the listed at the same price. So it might not be a deal breaker and it could roost here.

My fear is what if it IS an Original but I need to return it because it’s a dud?  The order says, Standard Vintage Burst, which would be nothing like what I brought in.  

Would GC be able to confirm through the serial number it’s the same guitar that was shipped?  

Looking to save some fingernails over the next five days. 

Thanks for any reassurance. 

12 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

This is for folks who have ordered used guitars through Guitar Center (Yes, I know some aren’t fond, but this is the game I played). This is the first time I’ve had something shipped from them.  

I’m looking for a bit of reassurance.  It’s not here yet, but I just noticed some weirdness with the Hummingbird I ordered on Saturday.  Does anyone know if GC includes the serial number in tracking used stuff in and out? 

I bit on a 2020 from a GC in North Carolina.  The pics made it appear to be an Original, with what looked like the antiqued binding and gold Gotohs, and pearly buttons. While the front pic was dim, you could tell there was definitely no dark burst. Maybe a natural, there was a hint of light shading around the bout so fingers crossed, the Heritage Cherry poorly lit.  It had an orange label, so even though the pics weren’t great it had the hallmarks of an Original.  

So I pushed the button relying on the GC “no questions” return promise if turns out to be a sunken, fretless, twisted neck dog. 

So, here’s the concern: I just noticed my order confirmation says “Hummingbird Standard, Vintage Burst” and the thumbnail pic is  just the blank, “coming soon. “ I KNOW what I ordered was not a vintage burst. 

So then I noticed there was no product SKU on my order conf, or on the original posting (I had taken a screen shot of the label just before I put it in my cart). So there is no way to confirm that the guitar coming is the one I ordered, if it’s the wrong one.   

Now, if it plays great and the condition is good, I’ll be bummed it’s a dark burst, and not the original, given they are the listed at the same price. So it might not be a deal breaker and it could roost here.

My fear is what if it IS an Original but I need to return it because it’s a dud?  The order says, Standard Vintage Burst, which would be nothing like what I brought in.  

Would GC be able to confirm through the serial number it’s the same guitar that was shipped?  

Looking to save some fingernails over the next five days. 

Thanks for any reassurance. 

If it’s not right  when it arrives, you may just be the first person ever to get screwed over by Guitar Center.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If it’s not right  when it arrives, you may just be the first person ever to get screwed over by Guitar Center.

Smirk, yes, I know you have “opinions” chuckle… that is why I was asking about how they TRACK sales.  I’ve never had trouble returning things to the store I bought it at, so I was thinking it would be no big deal here.  

If I do end up getting screwed, I’ll pay you to drive up and hit a golf ball through their window over there in “Hickory Corners.” 

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Smirk, yes, I know you have “opinions” chuckle… that is why I was asking about how they TRACK sales.  I’ve never had trouble returning things to the store I bought it at, so I was thinking it would be no big deal here.  

If I do end up getting screwed, I’ll pay you to drive up and hit a golf ball through their window over there in “Hickory Corners.” 

You should be able to take it back if its not as advertised. I bought a used Martin D-15M from them years back and they seriously put the guitar in a box, no case, with just bubble wrap and paper and shipped it off. I was horrified when I opnend it, but the guitar make it unscathed. I loath GC.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You should be able to take it back if its not as advertised. I bought a used Martin D-15M from them years back and they seriously put the guitar in a box, no case, with just bubble wrap and paper and shipped it off. I was horrified when I opnend it, but the guitar make it unscathed. I loath GC.

You probably need to read my question again, grin…. The crux is  if something is wrong I’d be bringing back a guitar that looks nothing like what is written on the order.  How will I be able to prove it really is the one that was listed and not just a crappy old beater I had laying around I was trying to scam a return on?  

4 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

You probably need to read my question again, grin…. The crux is  if something is wrong I’d be bringing back a guitar that looks nothing like what is written on the order.  How will I be able to prove it really is the one that was listed and not just a crappy old beater I had laying around I was trying to scam a return on?  

Mmmmm. Its GC assume you are always being scammed. Its why I only buy strings from them. 

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Mmmmm. Its GC assume you are always being scammed. Its why I only buy strings from them. 

Lol, but I don’t think GC takes kindly to be scammed back in return! I have absolutely no doubt they will take it back if it matched what was on the order.  This one will not.  I’m only asking if they track serial numbers, because that is my only proof I am returning the same guitar that is in the order.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 62burst said:

They’ve always checked the guitar’s serial number when I bring something back, and also if I bring one in for GC to buy (regrettably, at about 60% of its market value).

Thank you, 62!  That is what I was looking for! Whew.  I think I can relax now. Now I only need to lose the fingernails waiting for it to get here.  Problem with buying over a holiday weekend 😁

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)

I think the serial number will be on the invoice. I bought a 2020 J-50 60's Original from them in 2021. Looking in my account at GC, this is all the detail it shows for the order. But I'm sure they keep track of the serial numbers and think it will be on the actual paperwork. But I had this guitar shipped to my local store, then we opened it and inspected it together right in the store, so there would be no misunderstandings. Maybe too late for you to change now, but I would suggest doing this in the future if you're concerned.

Have bought a number of guitars from them and always very satisfied, but this was the only one I bought sight-unseen online.

Your Items   Unit Price Quantity Total
Used Gibson 1960's J-50 Natural Acoustic Electric Guitar
  $1,799.99 1

$1,799.99

Edited by Boyd

My problem with GC is they give you precious little information when it comes to anything "used."  The only other annoying quirk I have run into with them, at least the store I dealt with, was they did not even slap a fresh set of strings on anything they considered "vintage" believing everything should be left as is.  For crying out loud it was a late-1950s Kay K24.  You darn near needed a tetanus shot to try it out.

I have always though taken the "lazy man" approach to buying guitars.  With the notable exception of one instrument, every instrument in the house I stumbled upon locally. Not the best strategy as certain guitars such as that Roy Smeck I had always coveted remained elusive.  But I also think one of the reasons the last guitar I ever bought was the only one I had not held in my sweaty little hands first was I wanted to see what it was like shudder in anticipation awaiting something to arrive.  To make things worse my wait, like yours, was delayed due to a holiday - in my case it was Columbus Day getting in between me and my heart's desire.  Ironically, it was the guitar which was destined to take the place of the Smeck I never ran across.   And if it is any reassurance, everything worked out just dandy.

21 minutes ago, AnneS said:

Why not film the unboxing from start to finish? It would be some (albeit not conclusive) evidence of what they sent…

I prefer cutting to the chase and skipping the opening credits. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I think the serial number will be on the invoice. I bought a 2020 J-50 60's Original from them in 2021. Looking in my account at GC, this is all the detail it shows for the order. But I'm sure they keep track of the serial numbers and think it will be on the actual paperwork. But I had this guitar shipped to my local store, then we opened it and inspected it together right in the store, so there would be no misunderstandings. Maybe too late for you to change now, but I would suggest doing this in the future if you're concerned.

Have bought a number of guitars from them and always very satisfied, but this was the only one I bought sight-unseen online.

Your Items   Unit Price Quantity Total
Used Gibson 1960's J-50 Natural Acoustic Electric Guitar
  $1,799.99 1

$1,799.99

Thanks Boyd.  Nod, I have bought a few from GC but always in person.  And never any trouble if I had to bring something back because it didn’t work out the way I hoped.  This was my first cross-country try with GC.  I’ve ordered from other  reputable folks, like Carter, Elderly and Daves, and the paperwork was always precise and clear with photos.  

The invoice for this one has nothing to identify what I bought, except for that model description, not even the usual thumbnail, hence my raised nerves.  

I wanted it shipped to store as you observed, for safety, but turns out with used gear that’s not an option. Probably to keep people from ordering a bunch to try, and then loading up their local store with the discards.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

My problem with GC is they give you precious little information when it comes to anything "used."  The only other annoying quirk I have run into with them, at least the store I dealt with, was they did not even slap a fresh set of strings on anything they considered "vintage" believing everything should be left as is.  For crying out loud it was a late-1950s Kay K24.  You darn near needed a tetanus shot to try it out.

I have always though taken the "lazy man" approach to buying guitars.  With the notable exception of one instrument, every instrument in the house I stumbled upon locally. Not the best strategy as certain guitars such as that Roy Smeck I had always coveted remained elusive.  But I also think one of the reasons the last guitar I ever bought was the only one I had not held in my sweaty little hands first was I wanted to see what it was like shudder in anticipation awaiting something to arrive.  To make things worse my wait, like yours, was delayed due to a holiday - in my case it was Columbus Day getting in between me and my heart's desire.  Ironically, it was the guitar which was destined to take the place of the Smeck I never ran across.   And if it is any reassurance, everything worked out just dandy.

Nod, me too.  I’ve always been focused on buying local/trying before buying, except in just a couple cases.  The second guitar I bought was  the DIF from Carter so I was really flying blind about how it was all supposed to work.  I didn’t even know who Carter was, they just “looked legit.” 😁 And the guy was great working with my dumb questions.  

Since then we had one Taylor mini come cracked in shipping from Daves, but they were great in making that right.  (We saw it back out on the floor the next week, marked down, and wow, they did a great job, you’d never know.)  

Then we had Dave’s ship a Godin hollow body from another store to us.  I was worried after the last time, but it arrived perfect. Then a banjo from Elderly, there was a little bump in the description,  but they all worked hard to make it right.  I wouldn’t hesitate to use any of them again.  

Otherwise all the others have been local catches.  

Thanks for the reassurance that everything has turned out okay shipping with GC 🙂

Edited by PrairieDog

If you have real concern, take it to your local GC before you open it and check it out there. I've never bought used online from them but if I did, I would have it shipped to the store for this reason. I have bought plenty used ones in-person from the local GC.

Good Lusk!

I bought an H'Bird from a GC in Southern Cali  ten years ago - no tracking apparatus at the time  to cause me concern.  I just waited until the day they said it would arrive, and it did.  Well packed, great guitar, still have it.   3 years back I ordered a new Deering banjo to be delivered to the store here. Tracking was screwed up - even when the item would be available at Deering (also in Cali).  Just waited and when it arrived - I went to the store, unpacked it and it was great.     My observation of GC's  "used guitar' section - is that they do not provide much detail, nor do they take great photos.  I don't have great confidence in their grading system describing condition either, but I think it's just variation between stores and people.   You could try calling the store that sent it with your concern - but  I'm sure they sent the one and only H'Bird they had.  The photo might not be reflective though, so you may just have to bring the photo with you if you decide not to keep it when you return it to your local store.  I thought they took stuff like this back with no questions asked within a short window. Let us know.

FWIW -   'sunbursts' on H'Birds are usually different than on other models. Less contrast or 'BURST'.  Mine was a muted 'tobacco burst' color.   I was taken back at first, but soon got to love it. After falling in love with playing it.  G'Luck !

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I bought an H'Bird from a GC in Southern Cali  ten years ago - no tracking apparatus at the time  to cause me concern.  I just waited until the day they said it would arrive, and it did.  Well packed, great guitar, still have it.   3 years back I ordered a new Deering banjo to be delivered to the store here. Tracking was screwed up - even when the item would be available at Deering (also in Cali).  Just waited and when it arrived - I went to the store, unpacked it and it was great.     My observation of GC's  "used guitar' section - is that they do not provide much detail, nor do they take great photos.  I don't have great confidence in their grading system describing condition either, but I think it's just variation between stores and people.   You could try calling the store that sent it with your concern - but  I'm sure they sent the one and only H'Bird they had.  The photo might not be reflective though, so you may just have to bring the photo with you if you decide not to keep it when you return it to your local store.  I thought they took stuff like this back with no questions asked within a short window. Let us know.

FWIW -   'sunbursts' on H'Birds are usually different than on other models. Less contrast or 'BURST'.  Mine was a muted 'tobacco burst' color.   I was taken back at first, but soon got to love it. After falling in love with playing it.  G'Luck !

Thanks Forty! Nod,  I’m sure it will be fine, and yeah, I’m ready for anything in the condition, since there zero close ups except for the label.  I’m just spooked about being able to prove it’s the one they sent if I do have to toss it back.  

I checked the inventory at the store, and their current Gibson acoustic inventory, new and used, consists of one  j-45 Standard, and two Studios. So, I’m pretty sure they could have only sent the one in the photo, chuckle.

But with the listing gone now, and the photos with it, it would be proving such to the store.  62Burst said they do enter the serial numbers in their records, so I’m hopeful my store can access that if sadness arrives.

If all goes well, this will be the one that fills the “last niche” in the racks.  

(PrairieDogs digs a hole to duck away from the “famous last words” jokes 😎)

Edited by PrairieDog

4 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

I wanted it shipped to store as you observed, for safety, but turns out with used gear that’s not an option. Probably to keep people from ordering a bunch to try, and then loading up their local store with the discards.  

I wonder if you just got some bad information?  In the example I posted above, it was a used J-50 and there was no problem shipping it to the store. I suppose their policy could have changed since 2021 however. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't have done it that way, have never had a guitar shipped directly to my home and doubt that I ever will. If there was any problem, I wanted to be able to get a refund on the spot, without the guitar ever having left their custody.

But that's just me and it was in perfect condition on arrival. You'll probably be fine and they have a good return policy if there are any problems.

7 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I wonder if you just got some bad information?  In the example I posted above, it was a used J-50 and there was no problem shipping it to the store. I suppose their policy could have changed since 2021 however. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't have done it that way, have never had a guitar shipped directly to my home and doubt that I ever will. If there was any problem, I wanted to be able to get a refund on the spot, without the guitar ever having left their custody.

But that's just me and it was in perfect condition on arrival. You'll probably be fine and they have a good return policy if there are any problems.

Yeah, it was weird, I kept trying to choose “ship to store” when I started the checkout, but the screen wouldn’t advance.  It wasn’t until I chose ship to my zip code that I could move through to the pay window.  

I bought it after hours, and called when they opened, because I had a question about the truss rod cover.  It was the one thing giving me pause.  This one was blank, when all the other orange labels I saw were engraved “Hummingbird.”  I was speculating maybe the previous owner didn’t like the busy look and put a plain one on.  I was hoping the original trc was in the case.  It wasn’t, but I mentioned the weirdness with the shipping and he confirmed with used gear now, you can’t ship to store.  I wondered why they still have the button there, but I wasn’t going to press it or argue with him since he still had to pack it up 😬

The TRC isn’t necessarily a deal breaker, but it raised a question and my eyebrows enough about what model it really is, to only risk the purchase because I had the return policy protecting me if it turns out it wasn’t an Original, there were shenanigans, or somebody messed with the neck and broke the original trc. 

Or maybe it’s not an Original at all, but a studio, or some tweaked down black Friday “shop special” version that sparked the orange label.  There are so many variations it’s hard to know for sure without holding it.  Too bad the label just says “Hummingbird” so at least I know it’s not a ‘60s 😏

39 minutes ago, 62burst said:

You said you have a photo of the label . . . with serial # ?  Any thoughts on calling Gibson in the morning, & see if they can decode your cereal. (sic)

Nod, I was already  thinking about that and debating whether I want to “know” and possibly spend the next few days anticipating disappointment if it’s not an Original, or just wait until we’ve been introduced so I can play it with unbiased ears and not let any model snobbery color our meeting.   After I wrote the comment above, I realized it can’t be a Studio since the label doesn’t say that.  So it’s either some tweaked Standard or an Original.  Assuming it’s not a dog or broken, I expect it should be a great guitar either way?  PD says with hope springing eternal.  

Update, yeah, curiosity got the best of me.  I called Gibson and confirmed it should be an Original Heritage Cherry Sunburst.  Just what I was hoping I saw in those pics taken 20 feet away in the dark 😏 So here’s hoping there’ll be no reason to get in the weeds trying to return it 🥹

• Like 2