Gibson Brands Forums

Might Head North

Since me and my wife just sold the house in Virginia, we talked last night, and next month we are possibly going to Montreal for a few days. I’ve been there once, and she hasn’t. She wants to go June 24th which is the day after her birthday. I’m not sure why she doesn’t want to be in Canada on her birthday, but hey I’m stoked to get out US for a bit.

We Will probably go to Barbados in February. 

Time to look up flights and hotels. 

Looked up flights and hotels. Once some of the money transfers from the investment account it went to, and into the bank account tomorrow I’m making the purchase. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Since me and my wife just sold the house in Virginia, we talked last night, and next month we are possibly going to Montreal for a few days. I’ve been there once, and she hasn’t. She wants to go June 24th which is the day after her birthday. I’m not sure why she doesn’t want to be in Canada on her birthday, but hey I’m stoked to get out US for a bit.

We Will probably go to Barbados in February. 

Time to look up flights and hotels. 

Chief,

Montreal is a lovely city, and you and Mrs. Sgt. Pepper will have a wonderful time there.

For what it is worth, if you are able, whenever you must deal with French-speaking people, try to reply in French regardless of your proficiency, and often they will magically be able to speak English. Otherwise they will pretend they only speak French.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Have a good and relaxing time!!

One note;
Those Canadanadians speak English, but with a curious accent. 
Just act like you don't notice, and they won't get offended. 
🙂

sparquelito,

Yes, it is true that while "Canadanadians" have a "curious" accent, "Canadians" do not, and the Chief won't have any trouble understanding any of us.

I'm spreading the word that he and The Lovely Missus Sgt. Pepper are coming to visit, and advising everyone to be polite and not take offense at anything they say or do.

RBSinTo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I took 2 years of French in high school. Remember little of it. 

I thought she wanted to go to Toronto, but she wanted to go to a city she had never been to.

I’m even pulling for the Oilers to win the Cup.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

My apologies to anyone who was offended by my playful banter, re; Canadians and accents. 

I dearly love Canada. 
It's my 2nd favorite country in all of North America. 

🙂

sparquileto,

On behalf of all the Canadanadians, and Canadians, I have been instructed to assuage your fears by telling you that we were not offended by your banter, and hope that you continue to bant about our country.

Feel free to come up for a visit any time.

RBSinTo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Feel free to come up for a visit any time.

RBSinTo

I have only managed to visit Canada the one time. 

Had a bit of a visit to Fort Drum, New York, in 1996, and a friend and I caught a ferry up from Sackett's Harbor around Simcoe Island to Kingston, Ontario.
It was a lovely, interesting town. 

I have an open invitation to go visit some dear friends, up near Hallifax, Nova Scotia. 
Albert Bohemier and Trish Tully, of Survival Systems, Inc. 
Great people!!
I hope I can make it up there some day. 

My dreadful fear of flying is the only things stopping me right now. 

🥲

59 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Had a bit of a visit to Fort Drum, New York, in 1996, and a friend and I caught a ferry up from Sackett's Harbor around Simcoe Island to Kingston, Ontario.

I have an open invitation to go visit some dear friends, up near Hallifax, Nova Scotia. 
Great people!!

🥲

I got a hotel booked. I need to work on plane tickets.

• Like 1

I liked Montreal. If you like classical music, check out the McGill university orchestra and see if they are having a concert (that is, if they are in session). I stumbled on them, heard Dvorak's #9, and it was as good as any professional orchestra I've heard do it. They people were very nice, and there was some great food in a few restaurants.

Congrats! Have a great time! Living in So Cal we’ve spent most of our trips to Canada in British Columbia.. Our next trip will be Montreal.. I look forward to hearing about your trip.. Have a great time!

On 5/28/2024 at 5:56 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m even pulling for the Oilers to win the Cup.

Uh oh.  Dallas Stars fan here.  This could be interesting.   But hey, if it comes down to the Oilers vs the Panthers or Rangers, I will pull for the Oilers.  It’s been a very long time since a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup.

I haven’t been to Canada since around 1996.  Was attending a training conference in Burlington, VT and drove up to Montreal for a few hours.  Had a great Italian meal, then walked down St Catherine’s Street.  Was very disappointed that Canadiens Shop was closed (they were still playing at the Forum back then) and I couldn’t buy a jersey or other souvenir.  Always wanted to go back again when I could spend more time.

In my younger days, I visited Winnipeg, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary.  I really liked Calgary.

57 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Uh oh.  Dallas Stars fan here.  This could be interesting.   But hey, if it comes down to the Oilers vs the Panthers or Rangers, I will pull for the Oilers.  It’s been a very long time since a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup.

I’m a SJ Sharks fan, but they are awful. Got close once. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I liked Montreal. If you like classical music, check out the McGill university orchestra and see if they are having a concert (that is, if they are in session). I stumbled on them, heard Dvorak's #9, and it was as good as any professional orchestra I've heard do it. They people were very nice, and there was some great food in a few restaurants.

I think we will be close to that University. I do like Orchestral music. I think I saw The Detroit Symphony do the Slavonic Dances.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m a SJ Sharks fan, but they are awful. Got close once. 

Back around 1998, I was up in the Bay Area for a search warrant execution operation.  We were staying at a hotel in Walnut Creek.  Back in those days, before I retired, I would always try to take in a NHL or MLB game when I was visiting a different location.  Unfortunately, the Internet was new and I didn’t have easy access to SJ Sharks info.  Had I had that easy access, I would have known the Sharks were in town and had a home game while I was there.  To add insult to injury, there was a BART stop right outside the lobby of the hotel.   So there was easy access to the “Shark Tank.”   I  missed the chance to see the game.  I was not a happy camper.

Edited by tx-ogre

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Great people!!

🥲

sparquelito,

Don't let that fear keep you from coming up.

If summer is to your liking, we'll get you a dog travois, or if you prefer the winter, we'll arrange for a dog sled.

Problem solved.

Just call in advance so we can get the Pemmican-on-Bannock sandwiches  ready. Do you prefer yours with mayo or ketchup?

RBSinTo

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Back around 1998, I was up in the Bay Area for a search warrant execution operation.  We were staying at a hotel in Walnut Creek.  Back in those days, before I retired, I would always try to take in a NHL or MLB game when I was visiting a different location.  Unfortunately, the Internet was new and I didn’t have easy access to SJ Sharks info.  Had I had that easy access, I would have known the Sharks were in town and had a home game while I was there.  To add insult to injury, there was a BART stop right outside the lobby of the hotel.   So there was easy access to the “Shark Tank.”   I  missed the chance to see the game.  I was not a happy camper.

Saw a few games at the Tank. Never got to see the Raiders or Warriors when I lived there. I saw the A’s, Giants, and 9ers a few times. Saw Vida Blue pitch a game in ‘79 and saw Willy McCovey a few times. Saw Ricky Henderson steal a few bases too. Never saw Joe Montana. I think Garcia was the QB when I saw them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

sparquelito,

Don't let that fear keep you from coming up.

If summer is to your liking, we'll get you a dog travois, or if you prefer the winter, we'll arrange for a dog sled.

Problem solved.

Just call in advance so we can get the Pemmican-on-Bannock sandwiches  ready. Do you prefer yours with mayo or ketchup?

RBSinTo

You Canucks and your world class cuisine.

If we can find it and I’m sure we can my wife will have some Poutine. I’ll have a bite. Mmm gravy, fries and cheese curds. I think you can hear people getting fatter while chewing it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You Canucks and your world class cuisine.

If we can find it and I’m sure we can my wife will have some Poutine. I’ll have a bite. Mmm gravy, fries and cheese curds. I think you can hear people getting fatter while chewing it.

Which is why many restaurants that specialize in Poutine are located near Hospitals with Cardiac Care Intensive Care Units.

RBSinTo

• Like 1