Gibson Brands Forums

Semi hollow pickup advice

bol316

Can anyone advise me as to a good, REALLY clean sounding set of pickups for my Ibanez AF75? Any and all brands. Newer or older ones. I cant stand this "pillow over the amp" sound of these stock pickups. Thanks!

I have a Gibson ES-335 with 57 Classics, I can't imagine a better combination.

Feedback is easy to get at high volumes if you want it, and is easy to control.

My Guild Starfire III is completely hollow and has Duncan 59's in it - too damned hot.

Anything over 5 on the volume will give a hair-on-the-arm blowing body honk.

Hope that helps.

I have a Gibson ES-335 with 57 Classics' date=' I can't imagine a better combination.

Feedback is easy to get at high volumes if you want it, and is easy to control.

My Guild Starfire III is completely hollow and has Duncan 59's in it - too damned hot.

Anything over 5 on the volume will give a hair-on-the-arm blowing body honk.

Hope that helps.

[/quote'] Thanks. '57s were a thought definetely.

You know what?

I've had a change of heart.

Take your sh!tty Ibanez AF75 and head over to the Sh!tty Guitars forum.

Any and all brands.

Newer or older ones.

They can help you with your "pillow over the amp" sound of those sh!tty stock pickups.

While you're at it, take your inflammatory signature line about Jesus and waterboarding with you.

I'm sick of stupid people in the wrong forum barking about sh!t they have no clue of.

This is Gibson, for Gibson guitars, paid for/maintained/administered by Gibson with money made from selling Gibsons.

I'll quickly assume you know as much about business as you do about terrorism, Fundamentalist Islam and Christianity.

In other words, d!ck....

Learn some fxcking manners and maybe life will be a little easier for you.

You might get a real job and be able to afford real guitars.

A little knowledge might help you socially as well.

Have a nice day.

You know what?

I've had a change of heart.

Take your sh!tty Ibanez AF75 and head over to the Sh!tty Guitars forum.

Any and all brands.

Newer or older ones.

They can help you with your "pillow over the amp" sound of those sh!tty stock pickups.

While you're at it' date=' take your inflammatory signature line about Jesus and waterboarding with you.

I'm sick of stupid people in the wrong forum barking about sh!t they have no clue of.

This is Gibson, for Gibson guitars, paid for/maintained/administered by Gibson with money made from selling Gibsons.

I'll quickly assume you know as much about business as you do about terrorism, Fundamentalist Islam and Christianity.

In other words, d!ck....

Learn some fxcking manners and maybe life will be a little easier for you.

You might get a real job and be able to afford real guitars.

A little knowledge might help you socially as well.

Have a nice day.

[/quote'] Wow, temper temper. Don't make me send the government over to get all your guns. :-) :-) :-) :-). Ha ha WOW! Now you know that I dont have a real job and my financial situation. That isn't more assuming is it? :-) :-) :-) :-)

Time for me to go learn some manners, like lacing my posts with profanity and criticizing others choices in guitars. Remember people, no mentioning anything but Gibsons on here :-) :-) :-) :-)

bol, if you're going to spend the money on pickups, I suggest you look at hand-wound PAF sounding pickups.

Wolfetones, Skatterbrane, Bareknuckle, WC, Peter Florance Voodoo, etc. They don't cost that much more than Gibson pickups.

](*,) Thanks for all the advice guys (or girls if it applies). Kinda hard to know for sure i guess without having them in. =P~ Even though Neo hates me I think I will try HIS idea anyway. Maybe its just my amp (which I hate anyway). Time to trade it in for a Fender or Vox.

Read up on Seymour Duncans; they have a lot of choices that Gibson can't match. I'd recommend them with a coil-tap to shift between humbucker and single coil sounds. '57 PAFs don't offer this flexibility. But the switch has to have an extra hole to hold the switch, which is something to consider.

I can't offer much more advice, but let me say even Gibson acknowledges other guitars and companies. In Lifestyle they recently covered Jeff Beck's Esquire and even provided links to the custom shop @ Fender. Muddy Waters' Red Telecaster with Gibson knobs was covered in the last week or so. Even Gibson doesn't discriminate; I'm sure they want you to buy a Gibson, but discussion of other guitars sells even more guitars.

As for Neo, he is bitter, and probably insecure, and you inadvertently pushed his buttons. The only reason his ES335 doesn't feedback is because the guitar is semi-hollow. His Guild and your Ibanez are hollow bodies which tend to feedback in high volume situations. This may explain Ibanez's choice of pickups in that guitar, to prevent feedback, giving you a 'pillow over the amp' sound.

Read up on Seymour Duncans; they have a lot of choices that Gibson can't match. I'd recommend them with a coil-tap to shift between humbucker and single coil sounds. '57 PAFs don't offer this flexibility. But the switch has to have an extra hole to hold the switch' date=' which is something to consider.

I can't offer much more advice, but let me say even Gibson acknowledges other guitars and companies. In Lifestyle they recently covered Jeff Beck's Esquire and even provided links to the custom shop @ Fender. Muddy Waters' Red Telecaster with Gibson knobs was covered in the last week or so. Even Gibson doesn't discriminate; I'm sure they want you to buy a Gibson, but discussion of other guitars sells even more guitars.

As for Neo, he is bitter, and probably insecure, and you inadvertently pushed his buttons. The only reason his ES335 doesn't feedback is because the guitar is semi-hollow. His Guild and your Ibanez are hollow bodies which tend to feedback in high volume situations. This may explain Ibanez's choice of pickups in that guitar, to prevent feedback, giving you a 'pillow over the amp' sound.[/quote'] Hmmm now theres a post to chew on a bit. Ya I dunno what to do. Thanks for the ideas there. Think I gotta research this a bit more

Before you spend a nickel ---------------------- pop off the pickup covers & see is that changes things for the better. It just might. (consider that part of your 'research') If you still hate the tone THEN drop 57 Classics in that bad boy!

Read up on Seymour Duncans; they have a lot of choices that Gibson can't match. I'd recommend them with a coil-tap to shift between humbucker and single coil sounds. '57 PAFs don't offer this flexibility. But the switch has to have an extra hole to hold the switch' date=' which is something to consider.[/quote']

Three words: Push. Pull. Pots.

Though you'll need 4 conductor wired pickups

Okay dude, like the man said it's a Gibson Forum, but where else to go for some good tone advice.

Let's take it as a compliment and thanks.

Some gear feed back. I had a mid 80's tokai semi hollow, korean. I still have the stock p/u. I put the PRS 9's in it. Yes Paul reed Smith. I have a set of Santana III 's in the Epi Les Paul. Until I got my recent Les Paul it was killer, in fact still is.

Good thing is you can pick up these for 1/2 the price of a set of 57's. See the link...I had zero issues , I called and asked . They recomended these. I have sold that gtr to a dude in my band since I bought the Es 339 and it sounds wonderful.

Worth a look.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/magdonmusiccom/Categories?sfs=627937da

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas. I have since decided to sell this guitar and move on to a different project. It just seemed liked it wasnt going to end up being worth the time and money i would sink into it. Thanks again though!

Archived