Gibson Brands Forums

Should I be worried that the Music Zoo hasn't heard back from the Gibson CS regarding my M2M order?

On 6/16/2024 at 3:49 PM, PrairieDog said:

Okay, after that comedic interlude, let’s get back to your question. I was thinking you should get the serial number off the one on Reverb. If it’s a 2023, call Gibson customer service tomorrow. 

That LP in that Reverb listing was built in 2022.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:25 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The chances Gibson mailed the M2M guitar to the guy on Verb who is selling it is highly unlikely. It could happen, but I doubt it. Every year Gibson comes out with strange and exotic colors. Question to the OP so I don’t have to go back and read every post. Is the guitar you ordered in sparkly purple the only custom thing you wanted done to it? Other than that it’s is a ____________ model LP?

My M2M is in a metallic purple. Not a sparkly one.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:28 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

And my M2M was a maple top. Not a flame top.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:45 PM, 'Scales said:

Were it me, I’d be asking/telling the dealer to get a confirmation from CS as to where my order was in the queue and the latest shipment estimate date, and that I’ll be back next week to find out as I don’t want to cancel the order but need to know….etc. 

Exactly last year, Rick at MZ told me that the lead time estimate for my M2M order is May 2024, which of course has passed.

I reached out to Rick earlier this month, and he told me that he's trying to get word from the CS.

I'm gonna follow up with Rick again at the end of the month, but I don't want to annoy him.

Gibson owners at Reddit told me that the CS never gives updates on builds until the orders are ready to be shipped to the dealers.🤔

So I guess I'll wait and give it another 5-12 months?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jericho-79 said:

Exactly last year, Rick at MZ told me that the lead time estimate for my M2M order is May 2024, which of course has passed.

I reached out to Rick earlier this month, and he told me that he's trying to get word from the CS.

I'm gonna follow up with Rick again at the end of the month, but I don't want to annoy him.

Gibson owners at Reddit told me that the CS never gives updates on builds until the orders are ready to be shipped to the dealers.🤔

Who needs good  customer service when your paying and arm, leg and kidney for a guitar. Keep waiting.

18 hours ago, Jericho-79 said:

When you order something custom, exercising patience is the way to go.

There appear to be two schools of thought here -  "A road diverged in a yellow wood..."    I guess our response to this question is partly due to our individual experiences with this type of deflective, "Who's On First?"  customer service issue.     I've never been mugged so I'm not as gung-ho on stringing up muggers as someone who has been might be.    

I'm proud of us for not having let this black and white question divide us and result in name calling, labelling and insults directed to our personal choices of musical instruments.    Guitars we have paid for and can play ...  and those for which The Check Has Cleared but -  the trees  have yet to be  harvested to build.  

In this century - the 'Best Practices Bible' would suggest -  Give the customer a committed,  realistic delivery date - but so realistic that you know you can probably beat it and exceed his expectations.   As opposed to the proverbial 'When we get a Round Tuit."

On 6/17/2024 at 2:21 PM, Jericho-79 said:

What? You’re worried about annoying him? It’s business! They are a business. You gave them consideration.  AKA Money! To perform a function, which for more than a reasonable time, they have failed to perform. Do you have a physical Receipt for your Order or an Order number? 

17 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

What? You’re worried about annoying him? It’s business! They are a business. You gave them consideration.  AKA Money! To perform a function, which for more than a reasonable time, they have failed to perform. Do you have a physical Receipt for your Order or an Order number? 

Lars

I feel Jericho is going about it the right way. What's the use of getting your blood pressure through the roof on something that is completely out of your control. 

From my experience, typically on custom orders there are no refunds and it must be paid in full..... He's just gonna have to wait it out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, duane v said:

Lars

I feel Jericho is going about it the right way. What's the use of getting your blood pressure through the roof on something that is completely out of your control. 

From my experience, typically on custom orders there are no refunds and it must be paid in full..... He's just gonna have to wait it out.

No need to get your blood pressure through the roof. It’s just business. Not a buddy party. Certainly shouldn’t be fearful of annoying someone who received Money to perform a job & is shuckin’ & jivin’ him.

There are other Companies that could provide better Service & Professionalism.

I’m sorry but when he said, he didn’t want to annoy the Sales guy that got me.

I don’t see any issues asking MZ about the status. I wouldn’t condone a hostile approach though - I.e. demanding faster service or complaints, etc. to request them to get an update isn’t something that should be avoided if this interests someone who again probably paid thousands of dollars for wires and wood with some paint on it - I.e. a guitar haha! I have contractors for stuff I have deposited for - a deck in this instance - and I ask where I am in the queue, and if that time elapses they tell me, I check in again. And a deck costs tens of thousands these days… maybe the CS guitar does too, but pretty sure it’s better part of $10k minimum for M2M Gibson. 

Without hostility again, I got the money, I get the party started. It’s in the best interest of say my contractor, MZ, etc to give an update for reasonable requests. If they come back with it’ll be another year, then so be it. It’s what one signed up for and just gonna have to deal and be patient. It’s not like one is demanding to get something done faster… but if deadlines aren’t being met according to a report, this looks bad in their part. But again, going to need patience. Overall be nice and request reasonably when dealing with a service/good that is ordered. 

On 6/17/2024 at 4:21 PM, Jericho-79 said:

If you are willing to wait another 12 months - to have waited a total of 2 years for a custom paint job you're paying custom order prices for -  then, as Sgt. Pepper indicated a few days ago -  we've done all we can here as far as advice goes. 

51 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

If you are willing to wait another 12 months - to have waited a total of 2 years for a custom paint job you're paying custom order prices for -  then, as Sgt. Pepper indicated a few days ago -  we've done all we can here as far as advice goes. 

I hope the op locked in the price as well. Gibson is bad for raising prices without warning 

On 6/17/2024 at 6:26 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is there such a thing as a BBA or ABA? I’ve only heard of MBA’s.

Yes, that's what my youngest brother got his bachelor's degree in–business administration. He worked for FedEx for a short while, then decided he'd rather be a teacher, and went back and got his teaching certification, and has been very happy and successful in that field. He's won some awards for his teaching, too. 

On 6/17/2024 at 5:38 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Who needs good  customer service when your paying and arm, leg and kidney for a guitar. Keep waiting.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:19 PM, duane v said:

When you order something custom, exercising patience is the way to go.

I'm gonna call MZ tomorrow to find out if Rick got any updates. Hopefully, he has some idea on how the build is coming along.

On 6/19/2024 at 9:17 AM, Larsongs said:

Do you have a physical Receipt for your Order or an Order number? 

I have a receipt of the deposit ($1290). But they never gave me an order number.

On 6/19/2024 at 12:40 PM, slimt said:

I hope the op locked in the price as well. Gibson is bad for raising prices without warning 

I don't think MZ even quoted me on the total price of the build.

All Rick told me is that a metallic purple finish is doable by the CS.

1 hour ago, Jericho-79 said:

I'm gonna call MZ tomorrow to find out if Rick got any updates. Hopefully, he has some idea on how the build is coming along.

I have a receipt of the deposit ($1290). But they never gave me an order number.

I don't think MZ even quoted me on the total price of the build.

All Rick told me is that a metallic purple finish is doable by the CS.

A receipt would have an order number and all the other details of your order including the build, the total price, a delivery estimate and showing your received deposit.  

A business can’t just take your money without documenting what it is for.  There are checks and balances that are required to record the transaction in their accounting ledgers.  

Was this an online order?  Are you calling the number on your receipt to talk to Rick, or are you calling an actual MZ store?  Google the MZ store/website and make sure the numbers match what is on your receipt.  Then I’d move past Rick and speak directly to a manager, and politely explain what’s been going on and ask them for a copy of your paperwork, and proof of when the order was submitted to the CS.  The manager should be able to follow up for you with Gibson.  That is their job.  

I sincerely hope it’s just a long timing thing, but you got some red flags waving high on this one.  

Edited by PrairieDog

So let me get this straight J-79 put down $1200, and has no idea what the total price will eventually be, or if it’s actually being made right now, or when it will be completed? But he does have a receipt. And the only thing custom he wanted done to it is a purple paint scheme? You must really like purple. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So far all we know is Music Zoo could have found a used M2M Gibby somewhere completely had it rebuilt and eventually painted purple.

I've purchased a few Les Paul's from Music Zoo and they handled my business completely different. 

6 minutes ago, duane v said:

So far all we know is Music Zoo could have found a used M2M Gibby somewhere completely had it rebuilt and eventually painted purple.

I've purchased a few Les Paul's from Music Zoo and they handled my business completely different. 

But were you buying a guitar they had in stock or ordering M2M? I think once he placed the order and MZ hopefully placed it with Gibson, MZ can only call or email Gibson to see what is up. Cause MZ is not making his guitar, they are just the middle man.

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But were you buying a guitar they had in stock or ordering M2M? I think once he placed the order and MZ hopefully placed it with Gibson, MZ can only call or email Gibson to see what is up. Cause MZ is not making his guitar, they are just the middle man.

Jericho just said he never got any order paperwork from MZ.  No paperwork, No contract.  And he has been waiting over a year.  

A receipt outside of an order is meaningless.  Anyone can write a receipt for $1,290 when somebody hands them cash.  That just proves they gave them money.  He needed/s documentation for what the deposit was for.  MZ can’t call Gibson without that info.  

I did a quick google for MZ  and scammers last night.  It was grim.  I’m concerned things may not look good for Jericho.  

I really hope  “Rick” just was incompetent and botched filing the order and is in *** cover mode.  In this case MZ may still have his deposit sitting in their “Pending” deposit account, waiting on an order to attach it to.  But Rick has had plenty of time to fix that screwup. 

This is why I said call Music Zoo directly, do not pass Rick.  

Edited by PrairieDog

It looks like Dave F is the only one in this thread who has done it with success. He would know what paperwork or probably now what e-mails you would get when doing an M2M.

48 minutes ago, duane v said:

If they did that, he’d at least have a guitar by now. 

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It looks like Dave F is the only one in this thread who has done it with success. He would know what paperwork or probably now what e-mails you would get when doing an M2M.

M2M is just a one-off special order.  The order process with the store doesn’t change.  They still  have to keep their books straight about which dollars/guitars go where.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Does not sound good.    Receipts or order conformations and direct phone calls to the dealer are important. L

then again. Was there any money put down? You cannot order a guitar without a deposit of some sorts 

Just now, slimt said:

Does not sound good.    Receipts or order conformations and direct phone calls to the dealer are important. L

then again. Was there any money put down? You cannot order a guitar without a deposit of some sorts 

He said he handed over $1,290, and got a “receipt” that’s all. 

1 minute ago, PrairieDog said:

He said he handed over $1,290, and got a “receipt” that’s all. 

Well. I guess , hopefully he can get this sorted out.