Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone EVER had 3/64 action AND clean full step bends of the high E string at the 12-21's fret?

On 7/3/2024 at 9:31 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

This forum makes me feel so autistic. How is it with so many boomers, one who freakin worked for NASA, that not a single one of you can wrap your head around a basic fraction and imperial measurements

I don’t think anyone here has ever really worked a day in their life using a tape measure in America, if they did, apparently they’re a hack or they aren’t posting here

I'm a retired land surveyor.  They measure stuff.  Started at age nine.  Fired twice by age twelve for not being strong enough to hold the tape measure.  Was eventually able to hold a hundred foot steel tape, a plumb bob and hang a cigarette off my lip at the same time.  I can measure anything from 3/64" up to the size of my mouth.

• Upvote 1

I worked at NASA but math is hard. I’m just really an electrician. Out safety supervisor had a PH.d in math. He was smart in the ways of pluses and minuses . Me not so much. 

Look this is an easy fix. 

1. If you know how to lower your action, do it. 

2. If you don’t know how, take it to a guy or girl called a guitar tech or a luthier.

Problem Solved

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, badbluesplayer said:

I'm a retired land surveyor.  They measure stuff.  Started at age nine.  Fired twice by age twelve for not being strong enough to hold the tape measure.  Was eventually able to hold a hundred foot steel tape, a plumb bob and hang a cigarette off my lip at the same time.  I can measure anything from 3/64" up to the size of my mouth.

Yeah. I'm a machinist. We would call 3/64 wide open tolerance. We use dial calipers and micrometers to measure parts to within .0005

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, saturn said:

Yeah. I'm a machinist. We would call 3/64 wide open tolerance. We use dial calipers and micrometers to measure parts to within .0005

On 7/5/2024 at 9:31 AM, badbluesplayer said:

Grin, okay I’ll bite: We float in both worlds.  We do environmental surveys so from the git go we are measuring the crap out of everything.  

In the office, we measure the terrain using GIS to create the maps for our study. On the ground we measure the size, depth and plan views of our tests and project areas, and anything in it, using GIS, transits, and tapes, Back in the lab we’re working with rulers, calipers, and weigh scales.  But we don’t have to record quite detailed as Saturn does, thank god 🙂

And we work mainly in metric, because it is the industry standard, even in the US, but some sites also need to be recorded in imperial, so I’m fluent in both measurement systems 😜

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

rpavich,

In answer to your original question, no, I never have.

At least, I don't think so.

RBSinTo

I think I have but cant prove it and dont care either way.

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

I think I have but cant prove it and dont care either way.

Rabs,

I think my next-door neighbour did once, but he defected to Haiti for religious reasons and he doesn't return my calls, so I can't say for sure.

RBSinTo