Gibson Brands Forums

The J-45s - here we go

E-minor7

1 hour ago, Red 333 said:

I wish I could play like that guy! They all sounded good in his hands! I always get a kick when a really good player comes over and plays one of mine and I can hear all the potential I'm not skilled enough to unlock. Maybe one day...

Especially loved the Legend. 

Red 333

Agreed! I found it was actually enjoyable  to listen to.  And, sure made me want to practice more.  

On 8/7/2024 at 10:43 AM, BoSoxBiker said:

Kind of sometimes. Most of them make claims of at least some level of consistency. They do differ sometimes. For a good example, use some good headphones and listen to the audio starting at 12:35 up to about 12:55. The evidence of something is different should be obvious.

Definite difference in the noise level, which really drops at t = 12:48. 

Guitars are so unique to themselves, it's really hard to make anything more than a general statemtent regarding how a guitar will sound compared to similar models.

1 hour ago, Red 333 said:

I wish I could play like that guy! They all sounded good in his hands! I always get a kick when a really good player comes over and plays one of mine and I can hear all the potential I'm not skilled enough to unlock. Maybe one day...

Red 333

Don't you kid yourself- anyone, guitar player, or friend or family , who has enjoyed your Christmas greeting videos, has experienced some good vibes  just by listening to the labor-of-love clips  that you've shared here.

13 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Don't you kid yourself- anyone, guitar player, or friend or family , who has enjoyed your Christmas greeting videos, has experienced some good vibes  just by listening to the labor-of-love clips  that you've shared here.

Plus 1

Much appreciate that the J-45's were being played as though they were boutique guitars, but for most of us, that's not their task. Let's hear 'em getting down n' dirty- let's hear their "outside voice" ( cue some random Murph video here).

16 hours ago, 62burst said:

That's very kind of you. Thanks!

Red 333

19 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Red 333

One thing these videos do is helps me calm down on my picking & strumming. Listen to 20 minutes of this is inspirational on a couple of levels.

There's nothing quite like hearing your guitars being played from across the room.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 62burst said:

Definite difference in the noise level, which really drops at t = 12:48. 

Guitars are so unique to themselves, it's really hard to make anything more than a general statemtent regarding how a guitar will sound compared to similar models.

Well stated. I was struggling with a short way to describe this. Could have been the same guitar and the differences if the tracking would have been just as obvious.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Videos made it clear to me -   I need to change the strings on my J45.  

Yeah, but those first 3-4 days after a change can be mighty nervous times not matter how many times I do this dance.  🤨 

11 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

One thing these videos do is helps me calm down on my picking & strumming. Listen to 20 minutes of this is inspirational on a couple of levels.

There's nothing quite like hearing your guitars being played from across the room.

Totally agree on this one.  Mine always sound better across the room in someone else’s hands. Hmmmm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Yeah, but those first 3-4 days after a change can be mighty nervous times not matter how many times I do this dance.  🤨 

why nervous ? it’s just the time that you’re waiting, no matter how long, for the strings to die down, isn’t it?

(this reply brought to you by Elixir strings)

18 hours ago, 62burst said:

why nervous ? it’s just the time that you’re waiting, no matter how long, for the strings to die down, isn’t it?

(this reply brought to you by Elixir strings)

LOL - Yeah, I've gotten used to the new string brightness enough to know it will pass. It's the other funny little noises that can pop up. 

I think, with strings and springs -   the opposite of 'use it or lose it' applies.  They don't get stretched, fatigued or worn out unless they are used.  I've never done it, but I'd bet if you put a new set of strings on a guitar and cased it up for a year - and came back to it, they'd still sound like they were a day old. 

32 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

LOL - Yeah, I've gotten used to the new string brightness enough to know it will pass. It's the other funny little noises that can pop up. 

I got my Tele back in 2007, and it is now on its third set of strings… 😂

Lars

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I think, with strings and springs -   the opposite of 'use it or lose it' applies.  They don't get stretched, fatigued or worn out unless they are used.  I've never done it, but I'd bet if you put a new set of strings on a guitar and cased it up for a year - and came back to it, they'd still sound like they were a day old. 

I agree. Gotta play through it. On the rest-test, I've no idea about one year. I can verify, though, that a two week case-nap within a day or so of a string change does almost nothing to lower noises. At least not the time or two I tried it. 🙂 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:30 PM, Larsongs said:

Keep in mind much of what you’re hearing is Sound that has been Mixed & processed with Pro Tools, Logic or other Recording Software. 

Hmmm, , , sure - but you just need to add a little compression and ditto reverb to get there. 
                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Apart from that my faves are the first 2016 black nut Standard - the 2018 all hog - 2015 True Vintage, , , and the 2019 Vintage enters too. 
Would more than like to hear them with the similar semi-faded steel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I'm sure there will come a day where testers as well as audiences will realize the guitars, not the strings, shall be exposed. 

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hmmm, , , sure - but you just need to add a little compression and ditto reverb to get there. 
                        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Apart from that my faves are the first 2016 black nut Standard - the 2018 all hog - 2015 True Vintage, , , and the 2019 Vintage enters too. 
Would more than like to hear them with the similar semi-faded steel.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I'm sure there will come a day where testers as well as audiences will realize the guitars, not the strings, shall be exposed. 

Right, that’s all there is to Mixing Sound.

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Didn't say that - but these recordings aren't rocket science. 🚀

Right. They aren’t live either. Most people don’t have a clue about Compression, EQ & FX. These types of You Tubes are great but aren’t true accurate Live presentations. A great Mix can make just about anything sound great.

31 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Right. They aren’t live either. Most people don’t have a clue about Compression, EQ & FX. These types of You Tubes are great but aren’t true accurate Live presentations. A great Mix can make just about anything sound great.

Again - if setting up that kind of conditions for making/checking tests, presenting instruments etc. you might as well stop listening.                                                                                                                           1 - One have to learn to compensate. 2 - Plus use the films as guidelines, not precise 1 to 1 'portraits'. 

Could be interesting to hear a couple of tests you find valid. There are plenty to choose from - or maybe that's exactly what isn't the case. 

• Upvote 1