Gibson Brands Forums

Mod Shop Tele

Tman

I decided I needed a new guitar. I love the concept of a Nashville Tele and I love Fender's Sonic Blue. To be honest I used to hate the way Teles looked much preferring a Strat. I've changed.

Regret the aged Strat pickup and should've gotten white but whatever. Photo looks a touch greener than it really looks. I plan on taking it to Little Rock for the benefit concert November 9. If anyone here is around please come to the gig.

iBytYNJ.jpg

I understand this is a Gibson forum. I just got 2 Gibsons so I can be called names but forgiven.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tman said:

I decided I needed a new guitar. I love the concept of a Nashville Tele and I love Fender's Sonic Blue. To be honest I used to hate the way Teles looked much preferring a Strat. I've changed.

Regret the aged Strat pickup and should've gotten white but whatever. Photo looks a touch greener than it really looks. I plan on taking it to Little Rock for the benefit concert November 9. If anyone here is around please come to the gig.

iBytYNJ.jpg

I understand this is a Gibson forum. I just got 2 Gibsons so I can be called names but forgiven.

I’ve got none Gibson’s, so I think your gonna be fine.

Tele, everything you need, and nothing you don’t.

Congrats on the Nice Tele!

I’ve got an Olympic White Fender ‘69 Thinline Tele that is one of my most played Guitars. Tele’s do everything well! It weighs a little over 5 lbs. I can play that thing all day & all night with no Shoulder fatigue.

I’ve been waiting for the Mod Shop to add Thinlines so I can order another one to my Specs.

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Congrats on the Nice Tele!

I’ve got an Olympic White Fender ‘69 Thinline Tele that is one of my most played Guitars. Tele’s do everything well! It weighs a little over 5 lbs. I can play that thing all day & all night with no Shoulder fatigue.

I’ve been waiting for the Mod Shop to add Thinlines so I can order another one to my Specs.

Agree if they had a thin line option I would have gotten it. I'm all about preserving the back.

3 hours ago, Tman said:

Agree if they had a thin line option I would have gotten it. I'm all about preserving the back.

I’ve had my USA Fender Strat for 30 years & it's one of my go to Guitars. I have a USA Fender AV65 Jag & AV65 Jazzmaster. I love those Guitars. I never thought about Tele’s that much. Squier came out with a 50’s Classic Vibe about 12-13 years ago. They got great reviews & were cheap $349.00if I recall. I got one & modded it with a Bigsby & added a P90. It’s a great Guitar. But, it weighs about 11.5 lbs. I finally got it. Tele’s are amazing Guitars!

I’d love for the Mod Shop to offer a Thinline Tele. I’d definitely get one! I’d want Maple neck & a  Bigsby. Not sure about other Specs.  Maybe in a wild Sparkle color! Squier came out with a limited run of Sparkle Jags that looked very cool. Silver, Blue & Gold Sparkle. I liked them all.

On 10/4/2024 at 5:28 PM, Tman said:

iBytYNJ.jpg

I just purchased my first "Fender" less than a year ago, despite being a "Gibson guy" for decades. [For full disclosure, I was re-gifted a Fender Starcaster from my daughter years ago, but it's the "kid sized" SSS Strat, not the "full sized" Starcaster model]  I bought a new Squire Strat for just over 100 bucks, and "Hot rodded" the heck out of it myself, [including electronics/pick up swap, fret work, shielding, truss work, intonation, tuner upgrades, and lowering the action.]  When I first read your post, I incorrectly assumed that you had done something similar with a Tele. When I read about how you had some regrets about the "aged" center single coil color choice, a choice I had to make as well, I just thought you were doing the "mods" yourself.

Now, I'm beginning  to think the the "Mod Shop" you are speaking about, is a Fender Factory custom order thing/option/process that is way more "high end" than the "Sheepdog1969 Fender mod shop",  located in my back bedroom, LOL. [ Not that my "mod shop" didn't produce a bad-azz Strat, FYI.] 

If you have some time, could you detail how that process works, how costly it is, how much flexibility you are afforded by Fender on the Mods, and if you think the end result is/was worth it.