Gibson Brands Forums

EMG's in my 09 LP Standard?

BFG 28

Not a sin, many pros like them (including me). Try the new models, they have them in chrome and gold finishes and with coil tap, both color and wiring disabilities were the major letdowns of emgs years ago, now you can wire them properly and have them in chrome or gold so no wanker will know if watching you onstage.

I sighed when I read EMG's even though I have absolutely no experience with them, specially not in 'pauls. All I know is they are (active?) and heavy sounding pups. Probably because it strays from my personal image of a LP.

You are free to do whatever you want. If you like the tone of the pups, go for it, if you fail, take them out again =D>

IMO' date=' EMG's sound stale and colorless, i put the ZW set in my epi explorer, and took em' out the following day[/quote']

Did you try wirig them with 2 bateries instead of 1? Huge difference.

I agree!

but to each their own' date=' EMG sells a lot of pickups. They seem to work well for metal.[/quote']

not for me, the best p/up for metal imo is the Bill Lawrence L-500XL, if you ever get a chance to try a guitar loaded with one, go for it, best kleens i've ever heard too

Hey how does that work again. I forgot. A while back I played one with 2 batteries and it was Hot.

What do you do just run pos to pos and neg to neg?

Yes, you connect the first battery's black wire to the circuits black wire, its red wire to the next battery black wire, and that batery's red wire to the circuit's red wire.

I've never managed to enjoy playing through them (on other guitars that is) ... I've never heard someone play though them that I've thoroughly enjoyed either. I find that I lose sight of the tone and just focus on the person playing, which kind of ruins it since tone is such a huge part of the equation for me. Also, even if the tone was spectacular, I couldn't bring myself to installing them due to the looks ... maybe that's too vain, but they really turn me off from a visual standpoint.

To me' date=' EMG's sound one dimensional. They dont have the Moxy that passive pups have.

I had them in my Jackson. They were good for high gain,not much more.

again...only my opinion.[/quote']

Why is their anything else other than Dirty/nasty/ High Gain

Why is their anything else other than Dirty/nasty/ High Gain

Too much gain = Mud.

When I was younger that was cool, but now through experience ( and my tastes have changed )

I have come to understand that less is more. I back off on the gain and that lets me hear the subtle nuances

that my pickups have to offer.

I have the high gain craving covered. I use my Charvel.... see??.....I can get nasty too!

I still use passive pups though. Duncan JB for the bridge, and Duncan '59 for the neck.

That's the hole point that you are missing. Try to blast lots of overdrive into the Wrong pickup and yea like most it get's sound-in shitty/muddy.

Run that same Amount into Some EMG's and the result is sweet-sounding.

I got this old baby and still don't know what Model it is.

000_2671.jpg

000_2689.jpg

It's got the lowest Action of anything I have ever played and its wired straight to the input jack off the battery.

Sounds Hotter that way.

What's you Got in the Charvel line-up.

Sorry Max...

didnt answer your question.

I have the newly released Charvel San Dimas. When im in the 80's mood she fits the bill to a tee!

It came all black, im in the process now of installing Zebra coils and chrome hardware.

Its taking time...Its hard to get Zebra trembuckers.

PCH.jpg

I've had a set of EMGs in my '98 LP DC for over 4 years, and I haven't found a set of passives that I would take them out for yet.

I've been playing for about 40 years, and the EMGs have the best clean, or distorted tone I have ever experienced. Never any BS noise problems, and if you can't dial in the tone you need with them, you just won't ever get that tone at all.

I do not find them to be bland or colorless. On the contrary, they are very expressive and lively, in the right hands.

Archived