Gibson Brands Forums

Who would make for a good moderator

Bluemoon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody said anything about censorship...just a little policing.

I think last night was a great example of why we don't need any further moderation. When there are wrongs done that person is ostracized by all. They simply fade to obscurity. For a give time no one will take them seriously.

For the ALA, technically censorship means the "The Removal of material from open access by government authority." The ALA also distinguishes various levels of incidents in respect to materials in a library which may or may not lead to censorship: Inquiry, Expression of Concern, Complaint, Attack, and Censorship.

--The American Library Association

The word "censorship" means "prior restraint" of First Amendment rights by government.

--Morality in Media (Morality in Media is "a national, not-for-profit, interfaith organization established in 1962 to combat obscenity and uphold decency standards in the media.")

Censorship

1. The denial of freedom of speech or freedom of the press.

2. The review of books, movies, etc., to prohibit publication and distribution, usually for reasons of morality or state security.

--Oran's Dictionary of Law

Make me the moderator.

I promise to never delete or censor anyone's posts for any reason other then illegal activities and personal threats.

I will ban only if you threaten someone.

That's my campaign promise.

Homz...

In a sense I agree with you and yet...

Freedom of the press belongs to those who own one.

Gibson owns this one.

We who enjoy the forum owe Gibson a degree of "unpoliced" civility if we expect the least amount of moderator action.

Also, were the forum a private list - as some I'm on - there might be no concern about stuff getting wild, even disgusting, and self-policing might be considered to handle much of the problem among a group where the frequent posters are "well known." Unfortunately, for what it's worth, I've even seen fora with very, very formally trained people who got so angry at "tone" of some of their number that the lists sundered or just plain died.

This forum is open to the general public. It's Gibson's forum. It's as if we all met in the back room of a saloon to have a few drinks and have some good discussions - and with a big sign at the open door, "Come on in, our bar invites you to listen and perhaps sign up as a regular in the musicians' discussion group."

If uncivil discussion and crass personal attacks are heard to be the currency of the place, even the most broad minded may figure the guys running the bar are nutso and may not come back. You also may lose some of the best potential posters who have much to offer.

If I ran the restaurant and "Horace Hoebelheinrich" were a problem, I'd ask him to cool it. If he doesn't, I'd ask him to leave. If he returns on the next discussion night and meets the social norm expected in the discussion, fine. If not? Perhaps he doesn't really want to be there.

I voted for KSG Standard only a guy from Texas can keep order in a piece of **** forum like this.

I would not trust Californiaman as a mod from what i know he is an internet stalker.

Has anyone seen Neo?

What...

still here?

Leave. Don't come back.

Don't let the lounge door hit you in rear on the way out.

Archived