Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp or New Guitar?

Phantom123

I am finally to my decision of fate (I've made various guitar threads, so I'm up to my end :P ). I am trying to decide between getting a Gibson '61 Reissue SG, or a Peavey JSX Amp head+Satchurator pedal (It's being sold together). Any opinion? My current set up:

Guitars:

JS20S (Aka, a JS100 that looks cool. Don't have the right allan wrench, so I still can't restring the damn broken string or retune it)

Epiphone Les Paul (Well used, but still in good condition. A friend wants to buy it, and I really want to sell it to him, since I want him to get into guitar+I'm tired of playing it)

Amp: Roland 15x cube (And my previous 9-volt plug is gone ((lost it at a gig)), so I can't use my RP-250 through it atm)

Which is more useful? I really want the guitar, but at the same time, an amp would not hurt. The amp+pedal is less expensive, but I want a more playable guitar (the '61 I'm looking at is fantastic).

--

I know that bringing this to the gibson forum may tend to color the results, but I have posted this elsewhere, and am monitoring those places duly. I feel Gibson can more likely tell me about this when one of the items is a gibson guitar. I do care a lot about tone, but at the same time, I care about as much about my own playing and playability as I do about the tone (Which is why I still have the roland :P ). Which should I upgrade?

Get the guitar. You deserve to upgrade your guitar, and while the amp will be good, you'll regret not getting the gibson when you had the chance. Playing through a lower quality amp is a lot more satisfying when you've got a good guitar. If you have a mediocre guitar and a good amp, it might sound better, but you'll miss the guitar.

I am finally to my decision of fate (I've made various guitar threads' date=' so I'm up to my end :P ). I am trying to decide between getting a Gibson '61 Reissue SG, or a Peavey JSX Amp head+Satchurator pedal (It's being sold together). Any opinion? My current set up:

Guitars:

JS20S (Aka, a JS100 that looks cool. Don't have the right allan wrench, so I still can't restring the damn broken string or retune it)

Epiphone Les Paul (Well used, but still in good condition. A friend wants to buy it, and I really want to sell it to him, since I want him to get into guitar+I'm tired of playing it)

Amp: Roland 15x cube (And my previous 9-volt plug is gone ((lost it at a gig)), so I can't use my RP-250 through it atm)

Which is more useful? I really want the guitar, but at the same time, an amp would not hurt. The amp+pedal is less expensive, but I want a more playable guitar (the '61 I'm looking at is fantastic). [/quote']

Screw the pedal (and I'm a pedal junkie saying this). So, save that money.

If you're looking to play anywhere except your bedroom, buy the amp. I don't know anything about the JS20S but Epi LPs are good guitars and I'm sure it plays and sounds nice and will sound only better through a cool amp. Besides - and others will misguidedly argue this - an overdriven amp has more influence over your sound than a guitar does.

Depends on what your goals are.

- If you plan to start/join a band and gig out, get the amp. A killer amp will make a so/so guitar sound great.

- If you plan on jamming out in your bedroom, maybe with a friend, get the guitar. I have never played through one, but I hear a lot of good things about those Cubes; at least for a practice and home recording amp.

I'm with Rich, he's right, if you want to play outside of your bedroom you need more than 15 watts to do it. I hear good things about that amp as well. Bring your guitar in to a shop, have them properly set it up, take the nut off of it and tell them your kind of Floyd Rose stupid and would like them to show you how to better use the system. I'm sure if your honest or you put it to them that way they'll have no problem sitting down with ya for a good 20 min to show you the ins and outs of it so you can get the most out of that guitar. Especially if it's the same place that you're getting that amp from.

Archived