Gibson Brands Forums

Standard single coils vs p90s vs humbuckers

Thundergod

Other - I really can't choose just one as I pick whatever the song or my mood dictates and even that can be a moving target. I mostly use a big, fat crunchy sound via the wicked 490R/498T set in my Les Paul Custom with my band but also have a few songs where my Strat reigns supreme for it's big but biting neck pup. At home, I tend to favor my Tele and SG Jr for their really open yet still punchy, grinding tones.

With the right FX, you can make a P90 sound almost like a humbucker, but you cannot get a humbucker to sound even close to the P90.

The clarity of tone, the dynamic response, and the attack transients are simply sublime. IMHO the P90 is the must under-appreciated pickup made. They give me eargasms.

I have them on three guitars.

Insights and incites by Notes

Humbuckers are my favorite. The less hot, the better. I love Gibson 57s and the humbuckers Fender put in the Tele Deluxe. Also like larger single coils like the P90 or Quarter Pounders.

By far, my least favorite is the bridge pickup on a Strat. So generic and so over used.

Though I use no effects, I have to agree with ThunderGod's vote and NN's post.

The clarity of tone' date=' the dynamic response, and the attack transients are simply sublime. IMHO the P90 is the must under-appreciated pickup made. They give me eargasms.

I have them on three guitars. [/quote']

I'm no fan of hybrid pickup designs. Never heard any I liked and nothing else sounds like a P-90, end of story.

If they produce a tone you like (something's wrong with you if they don't) then nothing else will do.

I own many guitars for the variety, can't choose one as a favorite because I would have a new favorite every day...

Single coils have their place, humbuckers too (are we talking "vintage" output or metal?) but I will state unequivocally that I like listening to them and when playing them I get all the hair standing up on my arms most often.

Remember, not all P-90's are created equally.

There are countless variations on output and construction, and they are very transparent in telegraphing the tonal characteristics of whatever guitar they are installed in. When you've heard one, you have NOT heard them all....

3377544261_552c24cef3_m.jpg3375030728_6236db770b_m.jpg

Guild BluesBird (think chambered Les Paul) with Duncan P-90's and an Ash Strat with Fender Dove P-90's.

2207669912_473167d426.jpg?v=0

Here's the SG Classic(right) I wish I had not sold - next to the 12 string SG you hear so much about.

I also had an SG Jr. at one time with a P-90 - cool guitar but really rough condition.

Do not discount the Tonal Heaven found in other overgrown single coils.

Not quite the same as a P-90, but with a very noteworthy and deserved following.

3374276707_c797b94f3f_m.jpg3376916289_29e24d0d30_m.jpg3377602854_82dc5ceefd_m.jpg

Rickenbacker Toaster Tops, DeArmonds in a Kustom K-200, and the legendary lipstick tubes in a Danelectro...

Archived