Gibson Brands Forums

Your favorite Gibson pups?

GOTW27

• 2 weeks later...

P-94's .

Thanks Gibson! Clean, loud, very aggressive when cranked. When compressed properly, they also give a hair-raising slide guitar performance.

Downside = too pricy.

BUTTTT.... let's not forget - in this industry, you usually get what you pay for.

Mini-humbuckers on my '65 Firebird. Crunchy when called upon' date=' full bodied when not.

Hope to get something soon w/ P-90s in a solid body...love that sound, too.[/quote']

id love to see a pcture of your 12 strng firebird

it sounds cool

The BB 1&2's on my 2005 R7 Gold Top give the phattest, buttery tone that's perfect for the classic rock that I play.

I don't know if its the guitar, pickups or both but it sounds huge compared to the 2005 Desertburst LP Standard that I previously owned which had BB Pros in. My PRS and Hamer do not sound anywhere near it in terms of sonic nirvana!

I like the Classic '57s in My '61RI SG and they suit the guitar really well but they don't have the mid range grunt of the BB's. I'd love to A/B my SG with a new VOS SG that has BB's in. I've a feeling I'd prefer the '57s because of the way they project and have great separation of notes. I really wish I could hear a real PAF one day here on earth. I played an '82 Heritage Gold Top once with Tim Shaw's in and it sounded mid way between the BB's and the '57s to my ears.

The P-90's on my SG Classic were very disappointing. No bite. Things got better when I changed the 300k pots for 500k ones but it still wasn't the sound that I's heard vintage P-90's make. I eventually put a pair of Jason Lollar P-90s in and those puppies can incinerate your socks!

The only other Gibson I've owned was a Black '79 LP Custom. I needed three personal trainers working in shifts to get me fit enough to lift it. It sustained forever but the pickups in it weren't anything special. I eventually put a SD Jazz (n) and Custom Custom (:) in. Then it made me feel like Billy Duffy!

Anyhow, to answer the original question, I'm still in awe of the BBs in my Gold Top.

Archived