Gibson Brands Forums

Strats

callen3615

The more modern two-point tremolo holds tune better on Strats, a lot of people do not like them because they don't look vintage enough for them but having the bridge floating on 2 posts or studs that are screwed on into bushings (or whatever they are called) is a lot better than the six-screws screwed directly into the wood of a vintage tremolo.

My American Stratocaster has the 2-point tremolo and even though I use only 3 springs for that springy strat sound it does not go out of tune, granted I do not go crazy on the tremolo or use it all the time either.

The more modern two-point tremolo holds tune better on Strats, a lot of people do not like them because they don't look vintage enough for them but having the bridge floating on 2 posts or studs that are screwed on into bushings (or whatever they are called) is a lot better than the six-screws screwed directly into the wood of a vintage tremolo.

My American Stratocaster has the 2-point tremolo and even though I use only 3 springs for that springy strat sound it does not go out of tune, granted I do not go crazy on the tremolo or use it all the time either.

I bought a Strat the other day for fifty bucks!

Okay, I'm kidding... sort of. A guy listed what appeared to be a Vietnamese copy of a Strat on ebay with an opening bid of $50. Obviously it's a fake and a bad one at that, but I bid anyway. So did others, as it quickly went up to about $115. Ebay killed the auction, then he relisted it, ebay killed it again.... so he gutted it and listed just the hardware, pickups, tuners, etc with an opening bid of $50. I emailed him and he agreed to throw in the neck and body as they were no good to him, he was just trying to stay out of trouble with ebay and figured he could sell the parts without crossing any lines (wrong). So anyway, I won the box of guts for $50 and I plan to leave it ugly and phony. I'm rebuilding a frankenstein Fender acoustic from a Malibu neck, a Shenandoah body with a new top, and period correct Fender bridge and guard. I'm missing the tuners and these are correct for the '68 Malibu neck... so the $50 I spent on the Trashcaster is nothing. I would have had to pay at least that for original 'F' tuners... I can slap a set of Pings in the garbage guitar and do fine.

Vietnamese WhatzitCaster

I've owned at least a dozen Strats from a '64 I restored in Dakota Red to some from the 90s. I've parted some mexican ones on ebay, as they are sometimes worth more dead than alive. My only current Strat is a '99 Affinity in that hideous blue, bought for $60 to help finance a young couple's Friday night smoking material. I put Gotohs and a bone nut on it and it is a sweet guitar. Dumb stuff like the pots keep loosening up and the switch is iffy, but it has heart and soul. I've often thought of buying a real body for it, or a MIM one anyway.

I'm currently in the market for either a late CBS (Smith) Strat or a very early (1987) Post-CBS model, both of which abound, but I'm just watching for bargains.

The more modern two-point tremolo holds tune better on Strats

I respectfully disagree. Its been my experience over the years that the more direct contact with the body that the

bridge has, the more sustain youll have.....that and the size of the headstock ( Thats another story )

Also, Fender uses cheap alloy materials for their bridges, plates etc...you need real steel...the GOOD stuff.

Two point trem systems are for shredder guitars, again my opinion.

I like it to beef up the tone for tunes like Rush's Limelight. Lifeson used a strat with humbuckers when he recorded it.

I haven't found that switching to resemble humbuckers, sadly. That switching seems to make my tone very muddy. I use either all bridge or all neck pickup.

Thats my fav Strat color (Sienna)' date=' thats a pretty good deal but if it gets to 800 dont get it, 900 (I believe, might be off but not too far) will get ya a new one at AMS[/quote'] you sure? I thought fender went up recently.

I like strat's as well. It's just my heart was more for the Les Paul guitar. Doesn't mean I won't get a stratocaster down the road. I have been looking at the Highway 1 stratocaster cause the bridge is made of steel.

Yesterday I won an '82 'Smith' Strat that is all original except for the tuners. I have a set of period-correct 'F' tuners and I will get conversion bushings. It's a blonde hardtail. Time to get a skinny tie and do some Kingbees and Tommy Tutone!

2rpzgxu.jpg

Ooo, now that I read my post it's kinda misleading. I won it on ebay. $775, which is lower than what they've been fetching. Not a steal, but some of those Smith Strats have been going nuts lately price-wise, going up into four digits.

Um' date=' im looking for a strat. Ive seen a couple american standards on ebay for around 700-900. Is that pretty normal for a used standard? Thanks, and please dont hurt me.[/quote']

Why? Fender makes so many better sounding and better playing guitars. You want some single coil bliss? Try a Tele. Want a different tremolo than an SG with a Bigsby? There's the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang. I don't get Strats at all. Had a nice, blue CIJ in college. It's the only guitar I do not regret selling.

Seems a little high to me but the American ones hold their value really well.

Nothing wrong with a Strat' date=' EVERY Les Paul owner should have one for contrast, balance and versatility.

[img']http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/2206885077_e42ba7a395.jpg?v=0[/img]

You know what?

I've had a change of heart.

Take your sh!tty Ibanez AF75 and head over to the Sh!tty Guitars forum.

This is Gibson' date=' for Gibson guitars, paid for/maintained/administered by Gibson with money made from selling Gibsons.

[/quote'] Just quotin' O:) O:) O:) . Also, I think 700-900 seems about right. Depends on which one, condition and whether or not it comes with its hard case IMO. I was considering selling mine (MIM not American) for awhile but have since changed my mind. It was hard talking about selling it. Strats are a good overall guitar.

Yesterday I won an '82 'Smith' Strat that is all original except for the tuners. I have a set of period-correct 'F' tuners and I will get conversion bushings. It's a blonde hardtail. Time to get a skinny tie and do some Kingbees and Tommy Tutone!

2rpzgxu.jpg

Nice find.

I won this thursday.

4690_12.jpg

I haven't found that switching to resemble humbuckers' date=' sadly. That switching seems to make my tone very muddy. I use either all bridge or all neck pickup. [/quote']

Very true but if you tweak your amplifier it can get closer to a much more beefed up sound. I have a Vetta II and I did have to play with it extensively to get the right tone out of it.

Archived