Gibson Brands Forums

Tinnitus?

adlankj

So, something weird happened today. I was in an extra physics class for an exam coming up (actually, it's tomorrow), and it had about one hundred people, (high school kids, no less) so needless to say, it was pretty lax: the teacher didn't even try to control talking unless it got too loud. So, upon a particularly loud random swell of noise from the class, it seemed as though someone turned the volume on the class down a few notches (though in reality they didn't get any quieter), and I started to hear a clearly defined, but by no means loud, noise like a whistle. It was freaky, but it only lasted like 10 seconds and then it went away.

It's especially weird because I'm only 15, but even now when it's quiet I don't hear the noise. It's happened to me once before, however, when I was in my room and it was perfectly quiet, but again then it only lasted a few seconds. Basically my question is, should I be worried? I do listen to music through my iPod constantly, and to be honest, pretty loudly, and of course I play guitar on a tube amp, and I turn it up kind of loud, but only for the sake of the sound.

Anyway, I should be studying...

I know your young, but in my case it was a sign of high blood pressure. If it happens often see a doctor to get checked out.

I'm not trying to sound like an authority here. I suppose it's a good idea to see a doctor for any unexpected changes in health.

So' date=' something weird happened today. I was in an extra physics class for an exam coming up (actually, it's tomorrow), and it had about one hundred people, (high school kids, no less) so needless to say, it was pretty lax: the teacher didn't even try to control talking unless it got too loud. So, upon a particularly loud random swell of noise from the class, it seemed as though someone turned the volume on the class down a few notches (though in reality they didn't get any quieter), and I started to hear a clearly defined, but by no means loud, noise like a whistle. It was freaky, but it only lasted like 10 seconds and then it went away.

It's especially weird because I'm only 15, but even now when it's quiet I don't hear the noise. It's happened to me once before, however, when I was in my room and it was perfectly quiet, but again then it only lasted a few seconds. Basically my question is, should I be worried? I do listen to music through my iPod constantly, and to be honest, pretty loudly, and of course I play guitar on a tube amp, and I turn it up kind of loud, but only for the sake of the sound.

Anyway, I should be studying...[/quote']

Adlankj,

You need to turn the music down. I know it's hard, and you probably get a high from the volume, but it's not worth losing your hearing over. I have constant ringing in my ears, and it's loud. It sounds like chainsaws going on high speed ALL THE TIME. It never goes away. You can never get away from it. There is no cure. I spent my youth standing right in front of speakers at AC/DC concerts, blasting my Walkman, blasting my stereo, etc. but if I knew then what I know now, I would have turned it down a little. It's not too late for you. Now, it's true that tinnitus can be caused by high blood pressure, but at your age (sorry Homz) I'd be surprised if it was that. It can also be caused by TMJ (jaw problems), but have it checked out and even if it's not from noise damage, turn the music down before it's too late. Because you can't turn down the chainsaws. EVER.

I have it.... Do your self a favor and listen to us.... Turn down the music. It does take much to do permanent damage to your ears. I used to crank up the music in my car full volume all the time... It sounded great, I loved it. Everyone always told me I was going to damage my ears but I didn't listen and now I wish I had...

images.jpg

I wish I had used these when I first started playing in a band. Now, any time I go to a show, have band practice, or a gig, I wear them. I'd recommend using some kind of ear protection. You will thank yourself later.

Get a sound level meter, they sell them at Radio Shack and other places. Set it on slow response and "A" weighting.

Get ear plugs.

If the volume you are listening to is over 85db, use the ear-plugs of the correct value to compensate.

85 isn't all that loud, and anything higher than that can permanently damage your ears.

And quit listening to your iPod until you get a good feeling about how loud 85db is and then never turn the iPod up louder than that.

Without a sound level meter, you are just guessing, and an incorrect guess can cause you to go deaf or become extremely hard of hearing by the time you reach middle ages.

Of course, they are your ears, and if you want to go deaf in your old age, you have a right to do so -- so take this as a word to the wise.

Insights and incites by Notes

PS Etymotic sells ear plugs that simply turn down the volume (almost flat response) and they fit in a custom mold that an audiologist can make of your ear canal. They are not too expensive, and remember your hearing is priceless.

Archived