Gibson Brands Forums

Which concert stands out in your mind?

jaxson50

I was just reading some other post's about different act's. Made me start thinking about all the

concerts I have attended over the years.

The question came to me,

What concert(s) stands out in your mind?

I'll start by saying my parents started taking me to Broadway musicals in Balboa Park in the 1950's, that my first

experience with live music, and it was great.

The first rock concert I ever attended was a Iron Butterfly concert and believe it or not the warm up band was-

Albert King! He just blew my mind.

Some of the other shows that stand out in my mind (these are the good ones),-

Taj Mahal (many times)

CSN&Y the warm up band? Santana!! (this was just a few months after Woodstock)

Blind Faith w/Delaney and Bonnie & Free!

ELO the warm up band? Fleetwood Mac!!

The Highway Men-Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson & Waylon Jennings

Frank Zappa (I don't remember who went on before him)

Steve Winwood at a night club with just his drummer!! (1977)

But one show that was really outstanding was in San Diego-it started out with-

Rick Derringer, then the Johnny Winter Band-the last act was The Edgar Winter Band w/Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer! A very good show

I have also seen many jazz act's including

Modern Jazz Quartet,

Mendel Lowell,

Dave Brubeck,

Ray Charles,

Eddie Harris

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taj Mahal, stands out for me. He used to come to Phoenix a lot, at the round. & small venue with a revolving stage. Buy the end of the show most of the crowd was on the stage with him, playing everything from tambourines to spoons.

Jimmy buffett came a few times too but didn't like the revolving stage,, said he felt like he was being" interrogated",with the stage going around, & around, & the flashes going of in his face.

I also saw Jose Feliciano there once which was very cool. Someone walked him out , gave him his chair, & guitar, & the rest was magic.

jaxson 50, you saw MJQ and eddie harris? that's great! i ran a jazz club for awhile in the 80s. did a 2 week stand with milt jackson fronting a local trio. those stories will go in the book i'll never write. never got to see eddie. is he still living? loved his "is it in" lp. very cool. as a frustrated guitar player and a fan of jazz guitarists, i booked many of my faves, barney kessel, kenny burrell, tal farlow, bucky pizzerelli, herb ellis, etc., etc. used to do 8 shows a week. i was in heaven watching these guys and hanging with them.

one of the best shows i ever experienced was the 1st time i saw van morrisson. it was my 40th b-day and he was touring the "one night in san francisco" disc. it was magic!

Robert Plant a few years ago!! + in a few weeks... Stevie Wonder' date='Jeff Beck, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter!!!!! JEFF BECK!!

All at the Montreal JazzFest![/quote']

i'm a big fan of wayne shorter. that jeff beck disc done at ronnie scotts is very good.

One concert stands out in my mind.

It was the fall of 1979.

The band was "I POOH" (italians)

I remembrer it so good!!!!!!!!

They are all wonderfull musicians. The lead guitarist played some kind of mandolines. The bass man played some kind of a fretted 'cello or bass, the drummer pyaied flute.

There for the first time in my life I saw laser beams on the stage.

Their acoustic guitars were ovations.

Unforgettable for me...

Here I post some of my favourite I POOH's songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVEd36Xiig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJN0jElpT1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73g_2n7wy3s

Back in 1990 I recall going to a small haunt while in Austin, TX expecting to see your average Friday night Austin blues band. The air was hot, the drink was wet, and the girls were sauced. After a few of their own numbers we noticed a slight commotion in the back. Now, mind you, there were maybe 60 people in that space that night. It was just after midnight and the lighting was diffuse with smoke and purple haze and, with the way the drink was flowing and the slide was groaning, the commotion only became so as more and more people started to recognize what was going on.

The lead singer stepped to the mic and cooly announced that a couple special visitors would like to do a few numbers. Lo and behold the special visitors were Mick and Keith! They were in town because in two nights they would be doing their Steel Wheels concert in San Antonio but decided to skip up 35 to check out the scene.

Anyway, I'll never forget it. It wasn't a "concert," per se, but it damn sure was entertaining. They did a cover of Muddy's Trouble No More, Johnson's Love in Vain, and their own Ventilator Blues.

By the time they finished Love in Vain, I could hear an enormous crowd outside this little venue. I could feel them begging to get in. Given the potential fire hazard, I now feel luckier that they didn't get in vs. just being there. It was still a thrill, though...

Taj Majal? Hey... AJSC. That brought back some memories. I saw him at a small coffee house setting in Colorado in the 70's. What a wonderfull and original talent that I had forgotten about. Glad you mentioned him.

My wife and I are fortunate to live in an area where we see a couple shows on a weekly basis. Each one seems to stand stand out. Today, I am thinking it's Smokey Robinson, because we saw him 2 nights ago. Pat Benatar has always been my favorite, as well as her guitarist and husband, Neil Geraldo.

But one person I wish I could have seen because of her songwriting and her great, great, great and original guitar work is Joni Mitchell. She has those incredible guitar tunings and acoustic notations no one else has. Maybe she will come to town I hope?

Hey, this should be a great thread and look forward to see who gets mentioned.:-

I've seen a lot of great concerts but one that particularly stands out in my mind was at Jazz Alley in Seattle several years ago. It was Elvin Jones with a band that had several younger musicians. I had no particular expectations of the performance, just thought it would be enjoyable. Wow. A great, great drummer whose humanity and humility just shone out of him and infected everyone there.

Another great experience I had was in the mid seventies in Berkeley. A sitar player named Nikhil Bannerjee. An absolutely timeless moment I will never forget. The moment he walked onto the stage you knew you were in the presence of musical genius. Everyone there visited heaven for a few hours. If you ever get a chance check out his cd with Ali Akbar Khan.

I got to see Joe Pass playing solo, once in New York and then again later in Santa Cruz. Wonderful!

Ike and Tina. College. Now, that, ladies and gents, was a SHOW.

Johnny Cash @UIUC, 80s--Turns an area into his front porch..

James Cotton with Muddy Waters band at Tipitinas, 88. Pow'ful--the house swayed.

Bill Mon-roo. Lincoln Mass, 80-something, voice shot, didnt matter. Mr. Bluegrass

Paul Geremia. Bridgeton ME. Six tunings, one guitar (a 12 string), no sweat.

Those are the best. Also memorable: Van Morrison w/Georgie + Richard Thompson (90s), Steve Earle/Bluegrass Dukes, Portland (01) and John ("dont call me a cover singer") Hammond at Stone Church (06). +1 on Albert King. He played our college back in..nevermind. 50 people in the gym, no matter. He delivered.

Creedence Clearwater Revival --- because it was my first rock concert -- Bo Diddley opened followed by Tower of Power

Beautiful Day -- At the Electric Playground in Chicago -- That band just blew me away live.

Jeff Beck -- At the LA Forum -- Mahavishnu Orchestra opened --- Memorable because I hitchhiked from San Diego to see it.

Otis Rush -- At the Kingston Mines in Chicago -- not really a concert because the place was a Blues Club -- Memorable because I asked my wife to marry me there.

Can't list all because the list would be to big. I will list few

Grateful Dead

Willie Nelson

Leon Russell -- performing with Willie Nelson

Pete Seeger

Arlo Guthrie

Stan Getz - also in a club

Dave Brubeck

Cannonball Adderley-- Milwaukee Summerfest

Chic Corea -- Milwaukee Summerfest

josef zawinul -- The Blue Note in Greenwich Village

Lefty Dizz --- Let me sit in on Bass for a set.

Taj Majal? Hey... AJSC. That brought back some memories. I saw him at a small coffee house setting in Colorado in the 70's. What a wonderfull and original talent that I had forgotten about. Glad you mentioned him.

My wife and I are fortunate to live in an area where we see a couple shows on a weekly basis. Each one seems to stand stand out. Today' date=' I am thinking it's Smokey Robinson, because we saw him 2 nights ago. Pat Benatar has always been my favorite, as well as her guitarist and husband, Neil Geraldo.

But one person I wish I could have seen because of her songwriting and her great, great, great and original guitar work is Joni Mitchell. She has those incredible guitar tunings and acoustic notations no one else has. Maybe she will come to town I hope?

Hey, this should be a great thread and look forward to see who gets mentioned.=D>

[/quote']

I was the refrigeration mechanic here at the Biltmore Resort, for a few years. Smokey Robinson was playing at a fund raiser for "something", & requested my assistance. He asked my name I told him & he said "Paul could you please make it cooler in here"?

I also repaired Neil Young's A/C, & got to see his D-45 that once was used by the great Hank Williams.

Bruce Springsteen, asked me for directions, & Bob Dylan asked for a cup of coffee.

I felt so used!!!!!!

[-o<

Jannusguy

I did see MJQ-twice! Long story short, I was lucky enough to have a chance to jam with them, but not

on guitar, I played drums professionally for 16 years, jazz and blues. Mundell Lowe, and Jimmy Smith were two other greats I had the privilege of jamming with.

When I saw Eddie Harris he was playing a gig in San Diego in a small room, maybe 250 seats, he did a 3 hour one man show, his sax, his synthesizer and keyboards, it was a great show..Eddie passed away in 1996.

I really love jazz...

I also repaired Neil Young's A/C, & got to see his D-45 that once was used by the great Hank Williams.

Bruce Springsteen, asked me for directions, & Bob Dylan asked for a cup of coffee.

I felt so used!!!!!!

What a good way to be used.

Here's the flip side of the question..What was the worse show you ever attended?

Not just a bar with a band playing, I mean which Big Name Band did you see that really

just sucked?

Three come to mind right fast....

1. The Zombie's....bad bad bad, but to be fair it was a band thrown together to fulfill concert contracts.

2. Lead Zeppelin...Yes I know it's sacrilege, [-o< but remember the tour they did after the second album? each concert was three hours of LZ and no one else?

Well when I went they had a bad night. They were either drunk or stoned out of their minds, they would start a song then about 7 or 8 bars the song fell apart.

I waited till Page did his violin bow act, it sucked!!!! everyone was booing, I had it, walked out...

3. Blood Rock.... They just stunk.......

best by far, and I've been to a lot:

1) Alvin Lee, Vancouver 1989? :-k Alvin was simply stellar.

well below that but deserving of mention

2) Stones Milwaukee and Chicago, 1975 (if only because they were 2 of my first)

3) Allman Brothers 1994ish, Seattle

4) When the Rossington-Collins band played an instrumental Freebird with a spotlight on the empty microphone. Chillingly beautiful. The rest of the show was just loud.

Now I listen mostly to folk, but I'd go see Alvin again in a second, and probably enjoy the Allmans too. You couldnt pay me to go see Mick strut his stretch marks.

Among the best shows -

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings at the Handlebar in Greenville, SC maybe, oh, 10 years back or so. It was summer and a thunderstorm had knocked out the power. They wound up playing the first half of the show totally unplugged in the later afternoon/early evening sun, with a packed house full of people who were absolutely still and focused and silent. Gillian and David were SO focused and attentive to what they were doing, making it work like Woody Guthrie - it was hands-down THE most intense show I think I've seen. When the power came back on, they chased us all out, did a quick sound check, then called us all back and finished the show, which was good - but not as powerful as the first half.

Dave Alvin and the All-Nighters, October 1987, The Variety Playhouse - smoky, sweaty, hot, steamy show, with Greg Leisz (sp?) playing killer steel guitar. Dave signed my battered old Telecaster after the show and we talked vintage Fenders while the crew was taking the equipment down. A great night with one of my heroes.

Elvis Costello, Candler Park (I think!), Atlanta, late 2001. Outdoors, my first time actually getting to see Costello live as he played with the Imposters, 2/3 of the old Attractions. GREAT stuff with only a little that wasn't brilliant and much that was just stunning.

Richard Thompson - I've seen him so many times I've lost count, but the first time in the fall of 1985 remains special. The Moon Shadow in Atlanta, back when he played a 000-18 with a soundhole pickup. He completely changed how I thought about and heard acoustic guitars. Within months I would buy my first Gibson, a 1960 LG-2, and largely abandon the Japanese Washburn D-18 copy I'd been playing for years. RT is the gold standard for what a solo acoustic singer/songwriter/guitarist's show should be. I can't quite decide which way I prefer hearing him - either solo or accompanied only by Danny Thompson on upright bass.

Siamese Left, Zed's in Macon, GA, sometime in the late '80s. Zed's was, briefly, the epicenter of an amazing music scene in Macon. That night, Cliff the guitarist and Ronnie the drummer carried the band off into the most amazing, swampy, primal throb I've ever experienced musically. It was just a magical night from a band that should have been huge in a funky little dive in a place that never really has gotten past the fall of Capricorn Records. Most of Siamese Left soldiers on as Deepwell, and I'll always think of them as the greatest band to ever come out of Cochran Georgia, and as a band that in their prime could blow their contemporaries in Widespread Panic out of the water.

Steve Belew, my living room on Washington Avenue, Macon, Georgia, Spring, 1987. It was a Sunday afternoon and Belew showed up with his J-50 and his National Style O, as well as our mutual associate Bill Barton. My girlfriend and I were the only other folks present. I set up my 4-track Fostex and a mic, and thought to plug in Steve's National to my old Fender Vibro-Champ off in a corner, fattening up his sound juuuuust enough. That afternoon's recording, rough and ready, complete with conversational bits, is one of my most treasured possessions. I would spend a lot of time learning from Steve for about a decade afterward, and would record him live in Atlanta, but that afternoon was probably the very best I ever heard him play and sing, and it's a memory I cherish.

Good ones, Rusty.

I'll say this, almost all of the best ones were in clubs and small auditoriums. Arenas and sheds tend to swallow up the performer. Ive seem artist kill in small venus (Van Morrison, Emmyloyu Harris, Richard Thompson) who didnt come across as well in the larger setting. Even on video, a rocker like Petty is more real at the Fillmore than a bigger stage. Cash, who I mentioned earlier, was an outlier-- the show on a whole (a package tour with Waylon) was so-so, but Cash did a solo set that cut through. Ike and Tina made it work, but that was a show, not a concert.

The 1,000 seater auditorium at UIUC was a great venue: BB King and a young Emmylou tore it up. But absolutely the best

were intimate houses. Albert King playing to a room of fifty, Paul Geremia had three left in the house and still put out.

I've been to many concerts over the years. In no particular order some of my favorites were...I know some will be telling my age but here goes..+:-@/

1. Aerosmith (1st concert)

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd (before the plane crash and after)

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn (opened for Hewey Lewis and the News)

4. Carlos Santana (Smooth)

5. Rod Stewart

6. Rolling Stones (outdoor event in Columbia SC)

7. Van Halen (with David Lee Roth)

8. Jimmy Buffett (6 times)

9. James Taylor

10. Dave Matthews

11. ZZ-Top (5 times)

12. Heart (3 times)

Dave Brubeck Quartet with Peter, Paul and Mary - Seattle 1965

Ramsey Lewis Trio 1966 - I was underage so had to sit in the "NO Drinking" area, but I was only about 30 feet away from his piano.

Jim Kweskin Jug Band with Peter, Paul and Mary - Carter Baron Amphitheater, Wash. D.C. 1968

Savoy Brown - Fillmore West, San Francisco - 1969

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Seattle 1970

Fuzzy Dates:

George Winston - Britt Festival (outdoors) Jacksonville, Oregon

Taj Mahal - W.O.W Hall - Eugene, Oregon Small hall, only about 300 people, up close and personal, one-man show.

B.B. King, Jerry Lee Lewis, Nanci Griffith - Hult Center - Eugene, Oregon

Guy Clark with Verlon Thompson - The Shedd - Eugene, Or.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Corvallis, Oregon

John Lee Hooker - Mother's Mattress Factory - Corvallis, Or. ( Walked in backwards to avoid long line )

Robert Cray Band - Mother's M. Factory - Corvallis

These are the ones I remember the most.

Archived