Gibson Brands Forums

Which concert stands out in your mind?

jaxson50

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah' date=' yes, the 60s and 70s:-" [/quote']

Yes indeed,,,,I almost forgot that I was at "that" famous concert in Phoenix that broke out in a complete riot, in 67?, 68????

The Doors, I do remember a "purple pill", but not much after that!!

=P~

I've seen so many bands that I can't really list them all. Some of the better shows that stand out for me were:

1. Eric Clapton (three times in the late 70's and early '80's)

2. Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young (three times)

3. Bob Dylan

4. Eagles (Hotel California Tour)

5. Paul McCartney and Wings

6. Blue Oyster Cult (six times! Buck Dharma, AMAZING!)

7. REO Speedwagon (late 70's)

8. James Taylor (early 80's)

9. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush (late 70's)

10. Bruce Springsteen (Born in the USA Tour)

Bands that I thought suck live:

1. Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham WAS the shows saving grace)

2. Aerosmith

3. Cheap Trick (yea, I know)

4. Grateful Dead (don't shoot me!)

5. Rolling Stones (there, I said it! But it's true!)

The Beatles! August 28 1965, Balboa Stadium, San Diego.

Well I didn't get a ticket, but I stood out side gates and listened to a bunch of

teenage girls scream their heads off while the Fab Four played. I was 14 & Clueless.

Well now I'm 58, sill clueless.

Dan Fogelberg around 1978 or 79 at the Seattle Arena (Mercer Arena now, but I'm not even sure it's being used).

To be honest, I wasn't all that excited about going, I thought he was kind of schmaltzy even back then, but I was a big fan of Tim Weisberg at the time and I knew that they had done some concerts together. Plus, my girlfriend (who became my wife of 29 years and counting) insisted we see him. It turned out to be one of the most memorable performances that I have ever seen. Just Dan, one guitar and an endless playlist. I was blown away!

Today I still get goose bumps thinking about when he played the song "There's a Place in the World for a Gambler". As he took the song to the final chorus, probably 3000 or 4000 people were singing "let it shine, oh let it shine" together with him for what seemed like 10 minutes. The amazing part was that people began singing harmony and the audience became this huge choir and Fogelberg just kept it going letting the chorus to the song take on this wonderful life of it's own. Once the concert was over and the lights came up, no one left, everyone just stood there for a minute or two trying to figure out what the hell just happened to us.

One night in a million for those of us in the audience...........probably all in a days work for Fogelberg!

RIP Dan

Also memorable: John Renbourn & Robin Williams at some HS auditorium outside of Boston, 90s, that a friend to the day convinced me to go to. Sittin' and pickin (or, in Williams case, pluckin'). Their Wheel of Fortune CD is a great snaphot of their live sound and well worth seeking out by anyone into acoustic guitar.

Byrds (1971)

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings 2008

Manassas

Steve Earle and Band (2005)

Dylan/Band (197?)

Gene Clark (several times)

Neil Young

Roger McGuinn (numerous times)

Worth Mentioning:

CSN (around 1998)

John Fogerty (2007)

Doc and Merle Watson

John David Souther

I remember seeing,

Johnny Cash in Peoria at Bradley University,

Roy Clark at the Illinois Country Opry (now defunct) near Petersburg, IL.

Barbara Mandrell at the High School gymnasium in Pontiac, Il. Before she became famous. Wore my western style brown liesure sute and bola tie!

Maynard Ferguson at the HS Gym in Chillicothe, IL. Didn't think the concert was great shakes. Some kids I knew who went to school there said he was a real pain to work with. It was a fund raiser for the music dept. I think they said they barely broke even.

"Kansas" at the Assembly Hall at UofI, Urbana, IL. Left after "Dust In The Wind", the only song they played which I liked. My buddy and I got a jump on the rest of traffic and the crowd at Pizza Hut after we left. The pizza was great!

Chuck Mangione at Braden Auditorium, ISU, Normal, IL. Great concert!

I don't remember it, but my dad said he took us to see Chet Atkins and Floyd Cramer. They played at a baseball field in Decatur, IL. Dad said that during the concert he heard some real wierd percussion. Turned out is was people tapping on the bleachers' hand rails with their rings. I kinda sorta remember it, but not much.

I also seem to recall seeing Lee Mace's Ozark Opry. Not at Osage Beach. It was one of their road shows. Not sure where that was.

rather than say which concert i liked the best...because ive seen sooo many shows...different types...etc...

i wanna go with venues instead!

i saw dave mathews a couple years ago at the Gorge...in George, Washington!

easily the sickest concert venue i have ever been too...

the acoustics from the natural amphitheater were beautiful!

couldn't have asked for a better back drop!

if you ever have a chance to see a show there...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Unfortunately, there are so many I can't remember...or I can't remember so many...

In no particular order:

Steve Earle and the Dukes, Bogart's, Cincy '01

Lucinda Williams, Lexington Opera House '03

Bob Dylan with TP and the Heartbreakers, San Diego '87

Junior Brown, Lynaugh's, Lexington '01

Down from the Mountain Tour '02

Stevie Ray Vaughan front stage, him 3 ft way, amp about 9ft way, in October, 1983 before fame skyrocketed... got to meet him afterwards - very warm generous spirited man.

Thin Lizzy - Tokyo 1980 - two hours backstage afterwards - the coolest, most down to earth guys.

Radiators at Tipatina's

Billy Branch / Carl Weathersby - Kingston Mines Chicago.

Bruce - Atlanta debuted 41 Shots -

Bruce - Tallahassee 1984 50 people in my tiny apartment before the show.. and ended up with a soundboard boot of the show later ...and Bruce pulls out Tallahassee Lassy!

Jimi Hendrix in May '70. Maybe not the best but very memorable.

James Brown' date=' Ike and Tina - she could get me to do anything- and the Stones with 500,000 of my closest friends at Altamont.[/quote']

Wow! I'm jealous! I saw "Gimme Shelter", does that count?

During the 1970s I worked for Lee Hays (bass singer with the Weavers) and there were always folks dropping by and putting on impromptu shows. Best part - I got to sit in.

As far as real concerts - Hard to say...I have seen a whole lotta bands. I was at Woodstock but not much comes to mind (the brown acid was fine - I think).

There was -

Murray the K Easter Show at the RKO 58th Street Theater in '67. Cream's first U.S. gig, the Who on their 1st U.S. tour, the Blues Project, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, and others.

Byrds - Westchester County Theater '65 or '66 (only time I saw them with Gene Clark in the lineup).

Albert King at the Winterland or some San Franciso rock palace in late 1969 or early '70 (Lee Michaels and Zephyr were also on the bill).

Jefferson Airplane in OKC in 1970 - I had seen them a bunch of times since '67 - this show was more memorable as the infamous "bust" show than for the music.

More recently - Pretenders Akron Homecoming at the Civic Theater in 2000

Most memorable is tough, there were so many standouts

Some Highlights

Jimi on the Monday morning at Woodstock

ANY of the Capitol Theatre shows, Dead, Old & in the Way, Mountain. Zappa and the Mothers (with and w/o Flo and Eddie),

The Dead and Allman Bros @ RFK

Garcia SOLO at the Capitol ('82 i think)

JGB at the Warfield in 80

Duane and Allman Bros @ the Filmore East

Billy Joel on the last nite of the tour @ MSG

The Concert for Bangaladesh

and ANY of the 160+ GD shows I was at in the 70's and 80's

Archived