Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Pick Ups - Too hot...?

bullet22

...as for the discontinued statement' date=' i dont think so. maybe the finish is being discontinued but not the guitar.[/quote']

As far as I am aware, in the UK/Europe, via Rosetti, the Classic is discontinued. The dealer rang Rosetti while I was there, and with no mention of finish, they advised they're no longer available.

This was backed-up by the e-mail from Gibbo in my earlier post.

Granted, Gibbo are dropping Rosetti and going for their own distribution now, but still, I think the Classic is discontinued.

I might be wrong..? ;)

Here's the final result......

6a00e398cde5cd000100e398ec21730005-500pi

Firstly I went for the Alnico II's, but they still weren't grunty enough. Now I have the Duncan Distortion in the bridge and neck and I am delighted. You might notice I also put a black pickguard/toggle-ring on there too - think it looks amazing. It is now also pretty much unique.

First change-out went 100% smooth.

On the secong one (Alnico's out for the Distortions) I was T I R E D. Big mistake.

Firstly, I put the bridge in first, so there was no way to get the wire through from the neck unit. Then, I lost my bearings when I turned the axe over - and wired up the bridge to the neck controls and vice versa.

Lesson learned: be fresh when you do this (or anything) with your beloved piece o' wood.

The 496 and 500 pupps are Gibson's hottest pickup as you can see from their pickup chart... They are also ceramic pupps which make for a very loud and bright... When I got my classic a friend of mine plugged it into his set up and couldn't believe how much hotter the guitar was than anything else he had ever tried. He turned down the amp to get the sound he wanted. I guess if you play metal you'd be very happy with the sound, its slamming, but if you looking for tastier and more subtle sound variations switching out the pupps is a good idea. I love the look of the classic too!! There is a guy on the SG side of the forum who put his 496 and 500 pupps in an SG and swears they sound much better in that guitar than they ever did in the Les Paul. I think he replaced the 496 and 500 from the classic with 57 classics.... If I remember correctly, now he's very happy with both guitars....

The SD DD's that I've put in are ceramic - and they have none of the harshness of the Gibbo ones. They're fat, layered, warm, and punchy. As were the Alnico's (although they were a little too crunchy for me).

I think the statement that metal players will be happy with the Classic's PUPs is a little untrue. Metal/punk players require palm mutes, hammer-ons and pull-offs (they love their tapping).

I've played through the same Marshall AMP for nearly 15 years - hundreds of hours - and with 3 intense 'dialing' sessions I could not get anywhere near the 'traditional' Les Paul/Marshall tone. Ok, that's preference, opinion, etc - but still, it does seem to be the opinion of many players of the Classic.

'Bright' simply seems to equate to 'thin and rattly' in this case. Again, my ears - my opinion.

Anyway - my Classic now snarls as I'd hoped, and I've learned a little about PUP's.

No more Classic bashing from me.

One happy guitarist signing off!

As far as I am aware' date=' in the UK/Europe, via Rosetti, the Classic is discontinued. The dealer rang Rosetti while I was there, and with no mention of finish, they advised they're no longer available.

This was backed-up by the e-mail from Gibbo in my earlier post.

Granted, Gibbo are dropping Rosetti and going for their own distribution now, but still, I think the Classic is discontinued.

I might be wrong..? :-# [/quote']

or i could be! as far as i know they arent discontinuing it here in the U.S yet but who knows w/ gibson. maybe they will phase it out due to the classic antiques being in production!

[quote name=bullet22 Anyway - my Classic now snarls as I'd hoped' date=' and I've learned a little about PUP's.

No more Classic bashing from me.]

I've got a 2001 Classic which I love to bits, and I know what you mean about the brightness of the pickups. Having said that, I'm not unhappy with the neck - I find it plenty warm enough, but the bridge can bite hard. I play through a Marshal DSL401, and found that rolling the treble back a lot, and pushing the mids more takes a lot of the shrillness out. I've considered replacing the bridge with a SD Pearly Gates, but think I'll ultimately go with the '57 Classics combo on both at once.

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who's done the 57 Classics change - how well do they work?

I don't think they've discontinued the Classic - it's still on the Gibson website - but I know that some colours were discontinued. Mine's a heritage cherry burst which they seemed to stop on the Classic and put on the Antique.

Here's the final result......

6a00e398cde5cd000100e398ec21730005-500pi

You might notice I also put a black pickguard/toggle-ring on there too - think it looks amazing. It is now also pretty much unique.

bullet22

The guitar looks great. It reminds me of a LP custom with the black toggle ring and pickguard. O:)

If you change the knobs to black speed knobs, it will totally look like a custom...

daveinspain,

I switched the 490R/498T pickups on my SG Std with 496R/500T pickups.

And yes, I am a happy camper. I put the 490R/498T pickups from the SG on

my LP Classic. And yes, I am a happy camper here as well. Although I would

not mind trying 57 Classics on the LP one day...

To me, it just made sense to put brighter pickups on a solid mahogany bodied guitar.

Try raising the tail/stop bar on that classic to just above/or just below the height of tune-o-matic, don't have the tail piece pinned all the way down, THAT WILL HELP A LOT. With the 500t you do loose midrange and with the newer dirtyfingers as well. But to me, a dimarzio dp100 or a burstbucker III in your paul would make you real happy, or just a hidden 20dp boost will do it, dude. Remember page used a 500t and it didn't sound like a strat/ and besides the 490 in the neck of a studio are way too muddy and suck/ the 496 is much better.

I've never been a fan of the 500T / 496R pickup combo - way too hot and harsh. I don't have anything against hot pickups as long as they remain musical and defined. To my ears. the 500T does not do this - it's shrill and grating; the 496R not much better. If I was strictly a hardcore metal player, I'd be in heaven with those pickups, but I need versatility. To my ears, the 500T / 496R pickups are one trick ponies.

The BB Pros in my Standard have a much better balance - clear and musical to the stops, and enough drive to really work an amp.

Just my two pesos.....................

The 490r is muddy and the 496r isn't? Man, maybe I got a really good 490 and a bum 496. And Page used PAFs. If you are referring to the Page "signature" of 1995 (I think), that guitar has the 496/500 PU combo, but Page washed his hands of it. All the Page-approved models have the PageBucker I think.

Archived