Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic Pick Ups - Too hot...?

bullet22

Guys

I've just bought my dream 2005 Les Paul Classic in Cherry/Nickel. Ok, I didn't play one first - but I've played a LP Studio for 15 years so knew what to expect.

Problem is, I'm not too keen on the 500/496 pick-ups. I'm stuggling to get the fat "layered" sound that I can get with my LP Studio. In fact, the Classic is almost sounding a little harsh and, dare I say it, rattly. I've spent a few sessions now, trying to deal with it via the tone/gain controls of my Marshall Valvestate 8080, but to be honest I think I'm fighting a losing battle, because this particular LP doesn't feel "right" to me.

Anyone had a similar experience with the Classic..? I don't want to spend more changing the PU's, so was gonna trade up for a LP Standard (maybe Wine Red), but the looks of the Classic just do it for me......

Any suggestions......? Is this the reason the Classic is now discontinued? They also sell for less on ebay etc than the Standard does.

I just roll back the the volume a tick and add a touch of tone and it warms mine right up .

Gibson is discontinuing the Classic ?

Yip' date=' from Rosetti (Gibson distibutors in the UK):

[i']The Gibson Les Paul Classic featuring a Wine Red finish is a discontinued model & therefore no longer available.[/i]

I ain't tried rolling back the volume - will do that tonight.

As far as ampsettings go ' date=' I'm a set em and forget em kinda guy . Bass around 8 Mids around 3 and highs around 7.

everything else is done from the floor or the guitar itself .

Have fun, [/quote']

Thanks!

Can't wait!

I want it to sound as good as it looks.....

Going by your thread title, yes, too hot. But, as was stated, with a little judicious tweakage, they can be brought around to something a little more civilized. When I first brought mine home, being used to everything being "cranked", they were too loud, almost Strat-like, they were so bright. After I got used to the idea of turning this down, and that up, got 'er dialed right in, couldn't be happier!

Yeah - a bit Strat-like..... That's exactly it!

I'm tempted to say that's why they have the little 'pointer rings' on the pots - i.e. "we've put these on cos you're gonna need 'em....!" or maybe they were on the 60's model.

With the Studio it was 10 everywhere - except some neck solo's where I rolled back the tone.

Lesee, on the guitar itself, Bridge pickup volume is set at 2 3/4, tone turned down to about 8...

Neck pickup is full throttle on volume, tone about 9

Effect (Zoom 505II) is usually on either "C3", or "D6".

Amp (Marshall VS100RH) is set at:

Bass, 10

Mid, 2

Treble, 6

With this combination, I can emulate Duane (Allman) pretty damn nicely, thank you. And when the Zoom's on "D6", the thing oozes Jimmy Page, at least to my ear. Yup, that Classic's one HELL of a guitar in my view.

i never play my Classic because the 496/500 combo sucks. my 2007 lp standard faded is my #1.

to remedy the situation, i looked into different PUs. I was thinking about using the 57 Classics or BB Pros (i dont care what anyone says, they rock)...but gibson doesn't make them with a 4 conductor lead ( i have a coil tap on the bridge). currently i am investigating other PUs from smaller companies that make PAF clones. i wont mention them here because they are not made by gibson, but for hand-wound pickups they will cost less than 57 Classics. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

With all the knobs wide open, try lowering the pickups down away from the strings a bit until you get a sound you like. I can't be bothered with turning down the volume or tone knobs to 7.25 or whatever; I run all of my guitars wide open and just kick off the boost pedal to make them quieter or less distorted. Doing it that way, I don't have to fumble with the thing in the dark right before a song starts.

With all the knobs wide open' date=' try lowering the pickups down away from the strings a bit until you get a sound you like. I can't be bothered with turning down the volume or tone knobs to 7.25 or whatever; I run all of my guitars wide open and just kick off the boost pedal to make them quieter or less distorted. Doing it that way, I don't have to fumble with the thing in the dark right before a song starts. [/quote']

Just been trying that... No joy. Been A-B'ing the Classic against the Studio, and the Studio comes out on top everytime. It just sounds really fat and layered - right outta the box, no tweaks required.

I just can't get rid of the rattly strat-sound from the Classic.

Thinking of swapping the PU's - but will need to go for non-covered ones to keep the Classic's looks. Any ideas? Can you get the 490/498's as per the studio with no covers..?

Other option is to trade the Classic for a Standard - which I've never played.

If you don't like the sound of it' date=' either get rid of it or hang it up on the wall.

Do you plan on keeping the Studio? You could always swap the pups and then sell the Studio...+:-@[/quote']

I thought of that, but the Studio has gold H/W whereas the Classic is nickel.

Was thinking about the Semour Duncan PU's that are on the new Slash Sig.

Here's a question.... How the dickens do you audition PU's...? Just find a similar guitar that has them fitted as stock..?

Thinking of swapping the PU's - but will need to go for non-covered ones to keep the Classic's looks. Any ideas? Can you get the 490/498's as per the studio with no covers..?

It looks like you can get them in double black or zebra but cream doesn't appear to be an option (I checked several of the major online retailers).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IM90TNH

I am surprised that you feel the Studio pickups are a lot different than the Classic. I am pretty sure they are the 490, 498s in the Studio.

This is a chart from Gibson that tells you the outputs of their various pickups. It must be the open coil compared to the closed on the Studio.

It could also be as someone stated pickup height. I was considering a Classic but I still might go for a Classic antique or the Standard.

I had the same issue with a recent purchase of a Studio. I was not used to the "brighter pickups" compared to my Elitist LP, and my 1990 ES 335. But a little tweak here and there helped a lot.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They%5Fre%20Made%20%281%29/

As you can see your pickups are the brightest that Gibson makes.

I am surprised that you feel the Studio pickups are a lot different than the Classic. I am pretty sure they are the 490' date=' 498s in the Studio.[/quote']

You're correct about the pick-ups on the Studio. But there's is a huge difference sound-wise between the two guitars. The Classic sounds more like a beefed-up strat. I'm just playing it straight into my ValveState amp with minimal tweaks on the tone/bass etc. It sounds rattly, whereas the Studio sounds layered, smooth, and fat. I've tried adjusting the pick-up height. No joy.

I am surprised that you feel the Studio pickups are a lot different than the Classic. I am pretty sure they are the 490' date=' 498s in the Studio. It must be the open coil compared to the closed on the Studio.[/quote']

The Classic pickups have ceramic magnets, which are a lot brighter than the alnico pickups in the Studio.

Archived