Gibson Brands Forums

Good band songs

crashlanding

Screw Easy. Challenge yourself with the songs you want to hear your band play. You're beginners so you have nothing but time, and it's not like you'll be gigging in a week so you don't have to come up with a 40 song set list to get in the bars. Each of you pick two of your favorite songs and work on 'em till you get 'em. Of course you won't want to try "The Rain Song" or "The Song Remains The Same", but you'll find most Alternative and Rock Music fits into the "Easy" category.

Remember, "Easy" is a relative term. "Whole Lotta Love" is easy compared to most Zep Tunes, but that doesn't mean it's as easy as playing the radio or dancing. Music is difficult and you should push yourselves.

There's my two cents.

Screw Easy. Challenge yourself with the songs you want to hear your band play. You're beginners so you have nothing but time' date=' and it's not like you'll be gigging in a week so you don't have to come up with a 40 song set list to get in the bars. Each of you pick two of your favorite songs and work on 'em till you get 'em. Of course you won't want to try "The Rain Song" or "The Song Remains The Same", but you'll find most Alternative and Rock Music fits into the "Easy" category.

Remember, "Easy" is a relative term. "Whole Lotta Love" is easy compared to most Zep Tunes, but that doesn't mean it's as easy as playing the radio or dancing. Music is difficult and you should push yourselves.

There's my two cents.[/quote']

I like it maybe we'll do some zep

Rocky Mountain Way is pretty easy.

So are many Judas Priest hits (Breakin' the Law; Metal Gods; Livin' After Midnight; etc.

Turn the Page is another pretty easy tune.

Good Luck!

Screw Easy. Challenge yourself with the songs you want to hear your band play. You're beginners so you have nothing but time' date=' and it's not like you'll be gigging in a week so you don't have to come up with a 40 song set list to get in the bars. Each of you pick two of your favorite songs and work on 'em till you get 'em. Of course you won't want to try "The Rain Song" or "The Song Remains The Same", but you'll find most Alternative and Rock Music fits into the "Easy" category.

There's my two cents.[/quote']

I say mix it up a little. Get a few "easier" songs under your belt and you'll have that warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment which should get you through the rest when you're wondering why in the world you ever thought you could learn <Insert name of insanely difficult song here>.

Keep it fresh. Every couple of months one of us pulls out some song we've never done before or something we haven't done for a while. Much more interesting than playing "Sweet Home Alabama" for the bazillionth time.

I agree with Wicked1, get a few easy songs under your belt so you don't get frustrated and then mix it up.

Some other easy ones are:

Better Than Ezra - Good

Tom Petty - Free Falling and Won't Back Down

Bush - Glycerine

Quite a few tunes from Green Day.

Some friends and I get together every few weeks to jam. Our set list now includes:

Tommi Tutone - Jenny

Elvis Presley- Burning Love

Neil Young- Rockin in the free world

Oh Boy ! - Buddy Holly

Sex pistols - Pretty Vacant

The Cult- Wild Flower

Me and the other guitarist are new to playing in a band setting while the drummer and bass play in their own band with their own songs. Man do we have fun.

Drop a bomb on your audience with "One In A Million" and "I Used To Lover Her" by Guns and Roses.

"Police and Niggers, get out of my way...

Immigrants and faggots they make no sense to me..."

"I used to lover her, but I had to kill her.

I used to lover her, but I had to kill her.

She *****ed so much, she drove me nuts,

She's buried right in my back yard."

Actually in a way I agree with Wicked too, in mixing it up easier and harder but then - what's easy and what's hard? Sometimes it's harder to make the easy sound good...

As for style, I know some folks may pillory me for this comment, but at my age I don't see all that much difference in ways between a lot of what I hear on rock and country stations.

So... if you like a song, do it if you can. The Web offers help with lyrics and even some chords for a lotta stuff, so it's a lot easier than when I started.

Then too... figure that "style" is relative. For example the old mariachi thing "Malaguena salerosa" has been done as rock, and so have a lot of otherwise "folk" songs. Muleskinner blues was a rock hit and Bill Monroe did it as bluegrass. Some 1920s stuff has been done as rock, too, and ditto with some 50s/60s rock done as country.

The problem for startup rock bands is the old thing that you tend to feel you're supposed to do covers of current stuff and sound as close as possible to the well-known artists. Been there, done that.

But... in the long run, doing what you like in a style you like is what got the well-known artists to be well known.

Again, don't feel bad about doing old stuff in your own way. That's made a lot of money for a lot of groups.

m

3 Decent songs that I'm sure you're familiar with and sound good as well as aren't too difficult are:

1. Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody

2. Radiohead - Karma Police

3. Led Zeppelin - The Ocean (Improvise ur own solo)

People will know the songs and they aren't that hard to screw up...cheers from the Tdot lol

Archived