Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Placement

ant7629

Hello all!

I have had my Traditional for a few weeks now, and this morning I noticed that the tuners aren't placed the same on each side of the headstock. If you look a the pic below, you can see that they are much closer to the edge on the left side than the right. From the front, you can't really tell. Anyone else had this?

CIMG0910.jpg

Take it back, return it or whatever, this is totally unacceptable and shoddy workmanship to boot. Better yet, contact Gibson directly and gently ask WTF?

Seriously though, if it were me, purchased used, happy with it and not experiencing any intonation or unusual string thru the nut problems, I'd let it go and enjoy her. If it was, in fact, purchased as new then this really is unacceptable and would not only bother me a great deal it would also have me questioning why this wasn't sold as a "2nd." and why I didn't get it for a song.

Please let us know what you decide and what steps you take and good luck!

Trow

It was purchased new. I can't believe it has taken me this long to notice it and in the shop I spent hours trying different guitars out and when I finally settled on this , I gave it a thorough inspection too! Not thorough enough as it happens.

I will give the store a call and see where I stand.

If you're not happy with it for any other reason, then this is your opportunity to exchange it for another one but do you know why it's taken you this long not to notice? It's because it's not a big deal. Who cares if they're not perfectly symmetrical? I certainly would not and I definitely would not return an otherwise perfect guitar over something silly like this. If it doesn't have the right tone, doesn't feel right, or you want a nicer top, again...here's your chance to replace it.

Some people love that fact that '50s Les Pauls were not all the same. They were build by hand and each one was a bit different. Pots wouldn't be in the exact same place, etc. I've never bothered inspecting my guitars for perfect symmetry but I really hope that if I do, I find something a little unique like what you have.

I definitely would not return an otherwise perfect guitar over something silly like this. If it doesn't have the right tone' date=' doesn't feel right, or you want a nicer top, again...here's your chance to replace it.

I've never bothered inspecting my guitars for perfect symmetry but I really hope that if I do, I find something a little unique like what you have.[/quote']

:-s

Looks like someone is getting wiser =D>

In all honesty, the guitar is perfect otherwise. I don't think I have ever had a guitar that set up so easily out of the box (and that was with a gauge change from to 10 to 11!). It plays and sounds amazing and has a stunning top.

I do have a little OCD when it comes to guitars, but when I have spent £1600 on a new guitar I want everything to be right.

Not sure what to do now.

CIMG0898.jpg

CIMG0901.jpg

Seriously, I agree with Are Nine. I'm pretty sure it doesn't affect the playing or tuning any. The strings still come out the nut at the same place over the fret-board and the slight differnce in angle from the post to the nut probably makes no difference. If you're otherwise happy with it, you should keep it IMO.

Also, it's a unique identifier if you ever need it.

The strings still come out the nut at the same place over the fret-board and the slight differnce in angle from the post to the nut probably makes no difference.

Prety important point: check for symetry both in strings and nut from the front of the headstock, maybe they did that on purpose.

Prety important point: check for symetry both in strings and nut from the front of the headstock' date=' maybe they did that on purpose.[/quote']

All looks perfect.

I have just emailed Gibson with a a pic asking if will be covered under warranty.... If it is, I suspect they will tell me to return it.

I just checked my Trad and noticed that it was not symmetrical either, although not quite as obvious as yours. Looking at the nut and string alignment makes me believe that it was purposefully done that way. At least I hope so. On my R8 the tuners are perfectly symmetrical. Please let us know what Gibson’s response is.

BTW, yours is a beauty; exact same color as my Trad.

Play On!.

That's a gorgeous guitar and I wouldn't risk sending it back and having it damages in shipping for something like that (let alone having them tell you that it'll be replaced with the next one off the line). That's a killer top and if you like the playability and sound, keep it and ignore the tuner placement thing.

Having said that, you made me check mine and they aren't perfectly symmetrical, either. Actually the tuners are really really close to the edge at the back, but it's more a function of how much hand sanding was done to round off the edge of the headstock. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

Aw bummer. I guess if the tuner placement isn't having any effect on how she plays, you're probably fine.

However, If it was mine, I'd take it back. I have a little bit of OCD when it comes to my guitars, and it would drive me crazy. Besides, you spent a lot of money on that guitar, and it should be perfect.

That's a gorgeous guitar and I wouldn't risk sending it back and having it damages in shipping for something like that (let alone having them tell you that it'll be replaced with the next one off the line). That's a killer top and if you like the playability and sound' date=' keep it and ignore the tuner placement thing.

Having said that, you made me check mine and they aren't perfectly symmetrical, either. Actually the tuners are really really close to the edge at the back, but it's more a function of how much hand sanding was done to round off the edge of the headstock. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.[/quote']

Hey Bob, could you maybe post a pic of yours just to see how it compares?

Completely in two minds what to do now. It is a great guitar apart from this, and like you say I may not find one as nice so easily.

There is a thought in the back of my mind though that it should be perfect for that kind of money.

Do you think I have a viable case to return it if I decide to do so?

Hey Bob' date=' could you maybe post a pic of yours just to see how it compares?[/quote']

FWIW, these aren't dead on so the angle is deceiving, but you can see the tuners are very very close to the edge.

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830-1.jpg

Try as I might I can't get the buffing compound out of the serial number. That doesn't bother me, either.

Thanks Bob, the pics make me feel better about it. In fact, I went to the store where I bought it from tis morning. They said they could send it to Gibson to be "repaired". I think this meant that they would get someone to drill some more holes in it and move the tuners across a couple of millimeters. I wasn't too happy with this, but I reluctantly agreed as it seemed to be my only option.

That was until I checked out four other Traditionals hanging on the wall, and guess what....they were the same! Some were close to the edge like mine, others too far in and others just weren't straight! I guess QC at Gibson doesn't see this as an issue. After seeing that, I have decided to keep the guitar. Also, none of the Traditionals or Standards had a top as nice as this one. And I mentioned earlier, it plays and sound like a dream.

So lesson learnt then. I am still waiting for a reply from Gibson to see what they say. I will update the thread as soon as they respond.

Thanks for all of the replies!

just looked at mine and there straight but honestly I would have never noticed that I really don't inspect them like that. I pretty much go through life and try not too worry about the little stuff, If I can't see a major flaw easily than I'm good and a tuner off by fraction is definitely little stuff at least to me.

Archived