Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Room

Silenced Fred

My mom is letting me have a room in my basement to make a guitar room, instead of keeping them in my bedroom. I have two electrics, a classical and am getting an acoustic next week. I have these guitars and am amp and that's about it. I was wondering what are some recommendations for what to have in here and what you guys have in yours. Thanks

With one classical and an acoustic on the way' date=' I'd check the room out for humidity. Too much or too little could wreak havoc with them.[/quote']

Excellent point !!! A hydration kit with a barometer is a small investment ($25) that can prevent hundreds of dollars worth of damage.

Being a basement, you'll probably find it's TOO humid, and need a de-humidifier instead.

Some things you may/will need........

GOOD stands, a good stool or 2 if you play sitting any, a few cleaning supplies (soft cloths & polish if you use it.)

A filing cabinet or small box for tools, cables, straps,spare parts,sheet music/tab, warranties & recipts.

A small desk/table for recording eq. and/or a stereo/computer/whatever.

Thats very cool of your mom. It's not going to be any quieter for her if that's maybe what she was thinking but still, very cool.

I don't know what its like in your area but I would try to keep eveyting off the floor as much as possible in case of accidental flood (washing machine over flow, water heater leaking, too much rain, etc.)

My mom is letting me have a room in my basement to make a guitar room, instead of keeping them in my bedroom. I have two electrics, a classical and am getting an acoustic next week. I have these guitars and am amp and that's about it. I was wondering what are some recommendations for what to have in here and what you guys have in yours. Thanks

Nice one Freddy my man!.....ahhhh to be young again.

I would also consider some soundproofing, it helps even more with the parental tolerance level, and ear drum abuse. Old carpet can be used in many places (walls and floors) as an inexpensive (or free) sound absorbsion material. Keep an ear out for anybody you know that is replacing their carpet and offer to "haul off" the old stuff.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Yeah my mom is really cool about it and I'm glad because they always tell me to turn it down. What would you recommend to keep humidity away? There's not much but I want to make sure everything is great.

I once had a basement office with four computers, lots of paperwork, etc., and a dehumidifier was kept pretty busy.

Serously, too, I'd add to what others have said a computer set up to record. Many modern amps have connectors that can be hooked one way or another into one's computer. The way I've purchased amps, I can run a mike through a clean channel (a decent mike can come for $20 bucks, which isn't professional level, but this is for practice purposes), and the guitar trough an effects channel and have decent recording for practice purposes. It's quick and "dirty," but quite effective for practicing.

Just a thought - but then, even as an old guy I love the capabilities of computers for recording. My "baby brother" some 28 years younger goes further and does his musical thing with some sort of keyboard and additional software. But then he's also an AV consulting pro for a very major software firm.

m

Archived