Gibson Brands Forums

Jocko: on Memphis

Hall

I can't exactly remember what I wrote last time' date=' but it had something to do with the definition of "custom" which literally means "made to order." How many guitars in any of the Gibson shops are truly made to order? I'd argue very few. So what does owning a "Custom Shop" guitar mean. Does it mean limited edition? Does it mean hand built, more than others? I know I'm asking rhetorical questions, so here is a real one.

What are the main differences between the custom shops that makes one THE custom shop?

[/quote']

Good question.

Is Carvin the only "true" Custom Shop?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i never said his guitar sucks' date=' did I? i never said "my guitar is better than your guitar" did I?

cookieman, isnt the point of a forum to share information? If icame on here and said my Les Paul Studio came factory equipped with BurstBuckers, would you correct me? or would just think that would be "crushing my joy"?[/quote']

yep

If icame on here and said my Les Paul Studio came factory equipped with BurstBuckers' date=' would you correct me? or would just think that would be "crushing my joy"?[/quote']

I thought the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Studio has Burstbusters?

:-k/

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your wisdom is crushing............

Historic models versus models that are not historics.

And the availability of tooling for said guitar under said roof in said location.

OK' date=' fair enough, but aren't all historic models made exactly the same way? So how are these truly custom made? My point is that most Gibson guitars are not truly custom and it's all marketing.

Is Carvin the only "true" Custom Shop?

I think you're on to something here.

OK, well I don't want to get too deep into this because I'm really arguing semantics, which is always in the gray area. I don't care where/how/who/when/why a guitar is built. I love my 339 custom or not, just like I love all my other Gibsons...

I think you're on to something here.

OK' date=' well I don't want to get too deep into this because I'm really arguing semantics. I don't care where/how/who/when/why a guitar is built. I love my 339 custom or not, just like I love all my other Gibsons...

[/quote']

I love mine too. But not to the point where I'm going to have it "dissed" as normal.

I want respect from fellow owners, this used to be a club. Now it's not. I don't know what happened, but it's different here now. I don't see this crap elsewhere........

OK, fair enough, but aren't all historic models made exactly the same way? So how are these truly custom made? My point is that most Gibson guitars are not truly custom and it's all marketing.

I only know what they tell me.

I play and use USA models only as a rule.

Why? Its all I can afford.

Like has been stated two shops . One Custom - One convenient.

Math is a wonderful thing.

Yeah' date=' well mine too I guess. All I can say is that "it's a catastrophic success"... [/quote']

Yea, until you try to sell it.

And all your "brothers" at the Gibson Forums tell your buyers it's just a regular production guitar.

Have a nice day.....

I thought the Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Studio has Burstbusters?

:-k/

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your wisdom is crushing............

All hail, King Murph!

His intellect, wit and knowledge of everything Gibson is second to none.

Long live the King!

As I say enough times to finally say, "screw it" once and for all and to mean so. Gibson, dumped all info, past threads and two entire prior forums worth of information, actual facts, the forums themselves and pure conjecture on this subject as well as all others; all before the creation of this latest,"forum". Before doing so Gibson stated all ES models would be made exclusively in the Memphis plant and no longer in Nashville. This included,quote: "all Custom ES models". Thus, my original question starting this thread; were there little custom elves in a corner of the Memphis plant hand sanding necks? Murph, call Nashville Custom and attempt to order the minimum run of ES-339s required for the Nashville Custom Shop to comply with your desire to purchase. Use your noodle to gain attention on this. See what answer you get and put this matter to rest. ;)

I pretty much just have fun with it.....

:D/

The guitar has a "Custom Shop" logo on it. And a C.O.A.

If Gibson decides to open a "Custom Shop" in Largo, Florida, two or three people on the internet can't say they can't.

Gibson say's it's "Custom Shop", so it is.

Period.

Archived