Gibson Brands Forums

Any way to put a Killswitch in a 08 LP Studio?

Boxenstien

That's what I do....

I keep the volume knob off on every guitar I own, I turn it up for the pickup I'm using after I plug it in.

Always run the volume to 'O' before I unplug it.

So, yes, on your LP you can just flip the selector to the other pickup to kill the output.

That's a trick used for nearly 60 years now....

In addition, my Boss TU-2 tuner has a mute function when tuning.

Just step on the pedal and "Viola!" - zero output.

I've got an 08 Gibson LP Studio' date=' classic white here, its got the "new" guts (motherboard) and the local guitar center says theres no way to put a killswitch in it.

Anybody know if there IS a way?

thanks in advance[/quote']

Of course there is a way. Just because there is a PCB in there doesn't mean you can't solder on stuff to it. Now, I haven't seen these PCBs, but I'm pretty sure you could a switch parallel to the output jack by just soldering the leads right into the jack lugs.

Take it somewhere else than guitar center.

• 4 weeks later...

Of all of the folks asking for "killswitch install how-to" ... I've not seen a rock solid reason why its truly needed. So I ask...

Do you have an ultra-noisy rig/dirty channel?

****That's what noise gates are for.

Can you not get silence in your start/stops in a song due to feedback or noise?

****That's what noise gates are for. This also makes the case for *learning* how to be quick with your volume knob AND nail your guitar riffage.

What's that you say? "oh, HiLifeRocker - I play with MORE gain than Dimebag AND have busier guitar parts to control silent spots during my songs than any DIMEBAG / PANTERA song!!"

**** I'd say ok - though I don't believe you - but that man still used a NOISE GATE & his volume knob! End of story.

BOTTOM LINE ? Buy a Noise Gate. Get quick at volume knob skills. Practice, repeat. :-&

Of all of the folks asking for "killswitch install how-to" ... I've not seen a rock solid reason why its truly needed. So I ask...

****That's what noise gates are for. This also makes the case for *learning* how to be quick with your volume knob AND nail your guitar riffage.

What's that you say? "oh' date=' HiLifeRocker - I play with MORE gain than Dimebag AND have busier guitar parts to control silent spots during my songs than any DIMEBAG / PANTERA song!!"

**** I'd say ok - though I don't believe you - but that man still used a NOISE GATE & his volume knob! End of story.

BOTTOM LINE ? Buy a Noise Gate. Get quick at volume knob skills. Practice, repeat. :)[/quote']

i think the reason he would want a killswitch was to do some of the tricks out there that some guitarists employ like tom morello.

my advice is to find a highly reputable guitar shop. do some research on them, and if they've got a positive reputation ask them about the possibility of doing so.

but in all honesty, installing an actual killswitch on a les paul? i thought about doing that when i was younger, but when i think about it now it would have absolutely 'destroyed' the les paul. you're talking about installing a third party item on something that doesn't really need it due to the nature of the pickup selector switch: if you don't do a whole lot of pickup switching inbetween songs, it's easier to kill the sound of your neck pickup and just go from there.

but i don't know... maybe i just take a more spiritual approach to my guitars than some people do =P

---------

What's that you say? "oh' date=' HiLifeRocker - I play with MORE gain than Dimebag AND have busier guitar parts to control silent spots during my songs than any DIMEBAG / PANTERA song!!"

BOTTOM LINE ? Buy a Noise Gate. Get quick at volume knob skills. Practice, repeat. ;)[/quote']

:)

You guys are missing the point completely. The dude wants a momentary pushbutton killswitch.

Rock solid reason? So he can play this track's solo, for example - listen and learn;

Boxenstien - there's no reason you can't do it. Where do you want the killswitch to go? Do you want a master volume and tone knobs like Buckethead's guitar? Do you want to move the pickup selector aswell? I'll see if I can find you a wiring diagram. The best way would be to remove the PCB completely, you can always re-install it later if you sell the guitar.

:D

You guys are missing the point completely. The dude wants a momentary pushbutton killswitch.

Rock solid reason? So he can play this track's solo' date=' for example - listen and learn;

[/quote']

mcmurray - oh really? missing the point? Why didn't the OP state he wanted it for "tricks" not noise reduction, etc. ??

My mind reading skills are rusty. BTW, I listened to that track - wow, about 8 seconds of it uses the switch! Listen & learn you say to me? You can suck it, buddy. I'll put my lead playing up against yours any day. I don't need to learn any gimmicks, let alone at your instruction.

I'm more traditional than wanting to modify a Les Paul to do a "gimmick lick/effect". OP - Tell me, after modding your Les Paul - how many times will you *really* want to use this effect?

do u actually want to ruin your nice and precious(like mine) LP just to have a killswitch so you can be a second Buckethead or just play some random songs or show off in front of girls? If you dont like this LP just give it to somebody... like me!

You're not going to convince him to not want it. He simply wants to kill the signal to get cool rhythms and sounds.

mcmurray - oh really? missing the point? Why didn't the OP state he wanted it for "tricks" not noise reduction' date=' etc. ??

My mind reading skills are rusty. BTW, I listened to that track - wow, about 8 seconds of it uses the switch! Listen & learn you say to me? You can suck it, buddy. I'll put my lead playing up against yours any day. I don't need to learn any gimmicks, let alone at your instruction.

I'm more traditional than wanting to modify a Les Paul to do a "gimmick lick/effect". OP - Tell me, after modding your Les Paul - how many times will you *really* want to use this effect?

[/quote']

Whoa dude....take it easy!!

You seem to have made the mistake of expecting boxenstein to do it the way you would do it and have failed to see it from his perspective...the point is he wants an actual killswitch....and that vid was just 1 example.

Also....when did guitarplaying become a competition?

No one is asking you to put a killswitch in your guitar and no one is asking you to learn how any gimmicks.

You're traditional and that's fine...a lot of people on this forum are....clearly boxenstein is not. I'm ok with that....can't we all be?

*group hug*

mcmurray - oh really? missing the point? Why didn't the OP state he wanted it for "tricks" not noise reduction' date=' etc. ??

[/quote']

You wanted a rock solid reason, I gave you one. One that you obviously hadn't thought of and it appears you did learn something.

How does it feel up there on your pedestal mate? I really couldn't give two knobs of goat sh!t about your lead playing, not everyone cares you know?

Archived