Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 cosmetic quandary

Lefty Guy

I love almost everything about my J-45 (Lefty 2005 Historic)......sunburst, short scale, tone, playability etc etc....everything EXCEPT the pick guard.

I know its purely a cosmetic issue, but I really do NOT like either the colour (muddy brown) or positioning of the stock pick guard.

What to do? Any bright suggestions as to what to replace it with? I like tear drop guards but would like to see the whole of the simple white rosette & also wondered whether a plain black guard would look better?

Thanks in advance for your input!

It is your guitar, remove the pick guard and replace it with something that will make you happy. Save the original in case you decide to sell it some day. You can have one custom made or make one yourself. Just copy one that you like or buy one for that model of guitar. I can't offer up any design or guitar that you could copy because obviously you have your own design in mind now.

I too am a lefty and have pickguard issues. I removed the guard from my SJ200WC and have been talking with a friend at Fuller's about a replacement of a slightly different design. Gibson will custom make a guard for $250.......pretty much anything you might want. I want one that sits just outside the rosette, with a 2.625" radius, and they want an actual size paper/cardboard template of my doing to work from. The template is not a big deal.........$250 is. I have looked at dozens of Gibson's pickguards and they seem to be all different when it comes to radius, fingerboard line v. bridge end line, lengths, etc. It will require a template to get exactly what you want.

Taylor Player get that fine guitar away from that fire!

Trust me.... it was VERY safe and only there as long as it took to snap the photo. I do love the way the color of the fire highlights the amberburst on the LG1 though! [-o<

But you have to admit... there is nothing like playing a guitar, by a firepit on the banks of the Old Mississippi River. We have a cabin on the Minnesota side of the river just outside of Wabasha, MN and the Bluffs in Wisconsin are across the river. It is my favorite place in the world and the place where my ashes will be scattered when I am gone. I spent many a day there in my youth chasing barges up and down the river and fishing the backwaters in my 14' Alumicraft boat with it's 15 horse Johnson engine. As a kid in high school, during summers at the cabin, I would bring my old laminate (I had no clue then it wasn't real wood) Hondo acoustic in the boat and strum as I just floated in the channel with the current pulling me along. Good times! The photo is my wallpaper on my work computer and it is a reminder that stress relief is only a couple hours away with my LG1 (my favorite travel guitar now) and the wonderful River I grew up on.

I'll bet you wouldn't do that to your Taylor. LOL

Actually the Taylor was always my Cabin guitar prior to getting the LG1. The UV finish on them is bullet proof so I never had to worry about bug spray or anything like I do using a Nitro finished guitar out there. But, while I don't have any "fire" photos with the Taylor, I certainly wouldn't put it past me... I like taking photos almost as much as playing guitars! :D

Archived