Gibson Brands Forums

Did anyone buy Les Paul on eBay?

guitarrist

I did once and then resold it on ebay. No problems. It was a very nice guitar.

I just made sure I could go and collect and pay in cash. Ask for providence, as in where it came from. If the seller has paperwork and invoices from an authorised dealer, then that's a good start.

Never let your guard down. Always be suspicious. Don't part with your money until you are certain. Its better to get negative ebay feedback for non payment than it is to lose £800!

Always ask for more detailed pics. Specify the areas you want to see eg headstock, control cavity, cutaway binding etc.

Get to know what a real Les Paul looks and feels like, study up and 'get educated' on all things Lester! Play lots of LPs at guitar shops.

Ask members here to look at the pics. Everyone is very helpful.

There are some that will tell you to stay away from ebay. They may be right. Just remember its a gamble. More so if you don't know your subject VERY well!

Same here. I bought mine from a credible EBAYER, went to his house were he had five other Standard's!!! I tried them all and walked away with a different guitar than the one I had bought on EBAY.

=P~

I got mine on ebay - no problems. Actually spoke to the guy on the phone, and he was willing to meet in person with the guitar. I got it couriered in the end - once I was happy.

Got plenty of pics - ran the serial number past Gibson Europe, and finally paid with a credit card for extra protection (if any)....

So I was very happy.

There are only 3 real risks.....

1. Guitar is not in the condition described (lots of pictures can establish this)

2. The guitar is not genuine (fwd the pics to Gibson, or post them on here, most fakes can be spotted very quickly)

3. The guitar is stolen, or they don't have the right to sell it, for whatever reason.

Other than that, it's just like buying any expensive item online.

If you treat ebay as an "introduction" to the seller/guitar, and actually carry out the transaction yourself (meet up etc), you're a lot less exposed.

I share your skepticism on purchasing through eBay, though I did get my SG via it. As the previous posters have stated caution is key, and getting as much information as possible BEFORE making the commitment. In my case I knew exactly what I wanted and then just waited until the best situation presented itself. Which was a newer model, sold by a "power Seller" with 100% positive feedback primarily in musical instruments. I verified the model to the serial number via Gibson Customer Service and finally posted a link here, for other members to assist in verifing it as being genuine. Which in retrospect was probally the most important step, do not under estimate the knoweledge of the people on these forums!

I hope everything works out as well for you.

My problem with eBay is you can't play it. It arrives on your front door and it's yours.

I want a reissue LP. I put my 2007 335 up for sale on an local online classifieds website. A guy wrote back asking if I'd be willing to trade for his 2007 R7. I said yes I would, but I'd have to play and hear it first. So, the guy came over, tried my 335 and loved it.

I strapped on the R7 - it felt nice and the wide neck was just right. I plugged in his R7 and it was very bland and almost generic sounding. I didn't go all out and wail on it, a few riffs and chords, just enough to hear what she had to offer. The tone knobs were useless. I pointed it out the the owner, who said he didn't know because he never adjusts the tone...always has it at 10. Well, I don't.

I unplugged his R7 and plugged in my LP Standard...and wow...I wouldn't have wanted to be the owner of that R7 at that point in time! So, then I said 'thanks but no thanks' and that was that.

That right there, is the single reason I will never buy a guitar online. It may look pretty & shinny in those pictures and have all the sweet case candy you're after...but until you plug it in, you don't know what you're getting. It could be a tone machine...or it could be a tone turd...but either way...it's yours.

My problem with eBay is you can't play it. It arrives on your front door and it's yours.

That's my feeling about buying any guitar online, whether through Ebay or some place else. Sure, you can return instruments to Sweetwater, Musician's Friend and all, but you end up eating the shipping costs. I'd MUCH rather go try out a bunch of examples of the guitar I'm planning to buy in a store where I can compare them.

There's just too much variation for me to feel confident enough to buy through mail order. I don't blame the manufacturers for that, wood isn't consistent and that's all there is to it - you can't tell Mother Nature what to do.

I bought my LP Slash Signature from Ebay, However I was able to go and view/play the guitar before I bought it as the seller lived ten mins away. I got it for an awsome price too...she's in MINT condition...

There are plenty of people on this website who will be more than happy to help you out.

ReGaRdS

My problem with eBay is you can't play it.

Totally agreed!

I bought 2 LPs through eBay with no problem, though.

I bought my first LP Classic via eBay, and it turned out to be a LP Classic Plus! =D>

Didn't know until someone here pointed it out.

My second LP is also bought via eBay. But this time, I made sure to hear

from the guys here first before I bought it. It was genuine LP custom.

But the fact that you can't hear how it sounds like is somewhat bothersome.

Both of my LPs have 490R/498T, but they sound so different. I just accept the

way these guitars sound as they do. I love the fact that each individual guitars

have its own sound characteristics. One more reason to buy one more LP. ;)

Here's what I would look out for when looking for a LP on eBay.

Once you find the one you like and are sure it's genuine, check the completed listings.

Sometimes you would find an identical guitar with the same photos already sold to

other eBayer. It happened to me. Either the guitar was bought/returned/

re-listed or the seller is not showing you the pics of the actual guitar. Not good.

I purchased both my LP's on eBay and am VERY happy. I always emailed several questions before bidding (including some that I already knew that answers), to judge the sellers sincerity, honesty and knowledge. After verifying the Serial # matched the pictures with Gibson, I let the responses and feedback rating determine if I would bid. I paid particular attention to seller replys to any negative feedback posted. I'm sure I passed up bidding on alot nice LP's before I ended up with mine.

Ive bought probably 10 and sold 7 or 8 and always have great luck I'm careful watch feedback and usually establish a email connection before sales i even had one damaged at one time by the Gorillas in brown (snapped the neck in two) and the guy totally worked with me gave me a full refund sce it is the seller who has the insurance from UPS and then after the whole mess was cleared up and UPS didn't want the guitar sent back they just used photos and a store inspection he told me to keep the guitar at no charge. not a store alive that would do that on a Les Paul.

And before anyone asks yes I had the guitar neck fixed again offered it back or told him I would sell it and send him anything above he repair cost. the guy told me to enjoy it as he had gotten his money from UPS so he was happy and I have enjoyed it I still have the guitar and play it several times a week you can't even tell it was damaged other than the neck is a dark satin

Moral of the story is there are good people out there in Evil-Bay you just need to be cautious I bought two more guitars from the same guy and he bought one from me before he stopped his Ebay sales about six months ago to officially retire for what he said was the third time.

Archived