Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting article in my local paper about PRS ....

LeBudfrumHull_SG

I have 2 and they are great guitars. Fit, finish, and playability are much better then

Gibson and that's why they are doing good in this economy. Go into any GC and play some. They will all be great guitars. Not hit and miss like we are seeing with

the other manufactures.

CW

I think they were misrepresented in the market to capture Fender and Gibson buyers.

They are indeed very versatile, but when I wanna hear a Strat or Tele I get out one of my Strats or the Tele.

When I wanna hear a Les Paul, I get out one of my Les Pauls.

They don't replace anything in my collection.

That being said, they are indeed the finest, most consistent mass produced guitars in the world - hands down.

I own a very nice, very beautiful, somewhat exclusive one myself - see pics in my signature.

The Gibson guys here should be happy, look how PRS has forced Gibson to step up their game.

We should all be happy about that....

Even their cheap-*** oriental imports are a cut above their competition.

I tried a PRS SE Singlecut and a PRS McCarty at Guitar Center. Things looked great on paper, and for all intents and purposes there were no things that were wrong with the guitars, per se. However, they simply didn't do it for me. I don't know what it was.

The sound was pretty nice, and it played very smoothly--in fact, when I started playing it I caught myself overplaying it, hitting the strings hard and making weird noises. It played very easily, and it was very comfortable. But I already owned my SG Special Faded, and had been playing it for months. I wondered if, perhaps, I only liked my SG more because I had been playing it for longer. But then I picked up a few more guitars, from a few different brands--I've never been a brand loyalist. If I like it, I like it.

The Fender Stratocaster Standard played great, and sounded great, and hell, looked great. At the price it was being offered for, I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat if I was planning on buying a new guitar that day. The same thing with the spalted maple HH Telecaster. The same thing with that sweet-*** vintage Rickenbacker 360 that would've cost me a fortune. The same thing with (oddly enough) the B.C. Rich Warlock that I thought would be a miserable slab of whatever. And, of course, both the Gibson Les Paul Standard and the Epiphone Les Paul 100 felt, sounded and looked great.

Now, I love my SG, and I love my dad's Telecaster that he lets me borrow on occasion, and I think that the idiosyncrasies are what make the guitars feel, sound and play so damn great. Just my opinion. The thing is that they weren't necessarily designed out of some sort of well-planned prearrangement of materials in the same way a PRS or a Carvin or a Parker was created. I feel like there's simply something more organic about the old guard of electric guitars. Of course, everyone's up for something different, and I would think it a shame for someone to not be allowed to follow their own thing. But I tell you, I wasn't impressed by the PRS guitars that I tried.

Although I'm still looking for an opportunity to try out a Starla or an SE Soapbar. Those ones are probably sweet.

One thing about PRS guitars - some of those quilt tops are frick'n insane.

Eh?

3377556066_ed2213ce88.jpg

Another forumite bought one at the same store in natural finish that's just as nice - and 1 piece.

Snagged before I could get the cash together.

I feel like there's simply something more organic about the old guard of electric guitars. Of course' date=' everyone's up for something different, and I would think it a shame for someone to not be allowed to follow their own thing. But I tell you, I wasn't impressed by the PRS guitars that I tried.

[/quote']

I agree. I only played a McCarty, and it was very nice, but I just couldn't bond with it.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived