Gibson Brands Forums

Soundproofing

surfpup

So I have my little studio room framed out in my garage - 7x14. This week we will do electric, HVAC, and drywall. I am wondering about double drywall. I have done some reading about how two layers of drywall with a layer of silicone caulk in between to create a small airspace can really improve sound dampening. Anyone have experience with this type of construction? Drywall is cheap, so the cost is minimal. Just wonder about the actual effectiveness. Thanks in advance.

DSC_0015.jpg

Well, I won't have separate framing for each layer - not enough room. It will just be two layers of rock with a silicone bead separating them. I know it won't be the ultimate scenario, but I am wondering if it will help some or be a waste of time.

Well' date=' I won't have separate framing for each layer - not enough room. It will just be two layers of rock with a silicone bead separating them. I know it won't be the ultimate scenario, but I am wondering if it will help some or be a waste of time. [/quote']

If your bottom plate is 2x6 or better, and you're using 2x4 studs, you can still stagger the studs, ala the 2d illustration above, which would isolate the layers from each other. Your method will be better than a single layer, or two layers in direct contact with one-another or the same frame piece. And I'm sure you'll be using sound-attenuation material inside the finished room, which will help further.

edit: Sorry, I looked again at your framing. You wouldn't be able to stagger the studs. I don't think you're wasting your time doing it your way, every little bit of isolation helps immensely.

If your bottom plate is 2x6 or better' date=' and you're using 2x4 studs, you can still stagger the studs, ala the 2d illustration above, which would isolate the layers from each other. Your method will be better than a single layer, or two layers in direct contact with one-another or the same frame piece. And I'm sure you'll be using sound-attenuation material inside the finished room, which will help further.

edit: Sorry, I looked again at your framing. You wouldn't be able to stagger the studs. I don't think you're wasting your time doing it your way, every little bit of isolation helps immensely.[/quote']

Thanks for the good points. The 2x6 bottom plate would have been a good idea! But too late.

Yeah, I'll be doing some acoustic foam and bass traps inside. The double layer is more to suppress noise exiting the building to the family in main house and the neighbors beyond.

My friend has a studio just like that in his garage. It's so great. It's our perfect hangout space.

We have good foam on the walls, a bunch of good mics, an M-Box with something like 8 or 14 inputs and individual preamps, a computer dedicated to only recording, a few amps, a drumset, a bass (which just stays there), a bunch of posters on the wall, and for lighting we have a string of big old christmas lights with only blue and green bulbs.

The studio has a sweet vibe. Oh yeah and we have a sofa.

We were looking to do something in a bedroom (as non-permanent as possible) as a "quiet area" for my son's playing.

This site had some interesting "applications".. They don't look like they'll impact a small space by that much..

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/echo_eliminator/aco_u_stick.htm?d=0

I have seen the "egg crate" sound insulation in a couple of small data centers (wall and ceiling) I've been to, it was pretty effective.

I had my home studio 18 x 26 built with 2x6 staggered studs and a commercial soundproofing material. Looks kind of like a fireproof sawdust and a a shiny lightweight sand mixture that fills the walls completely. don't know what it is but it sure works well with a guitar fired up or even the digital drums going you can barely hear me in the house and that's if the house is silent like late at night. They told me that a lot of the noise transference is through the door so mine has a two door system with a short 5-6 foot hallway leading into the studio.

Hey that looks cool surfpup. We're having a house built and I've got most of our unfinished basement to make into a music room. I'm glad you posted this; I just hope I remember to ask this question again when I'm ready to build.

Archived