Gibson Brands Forums

Amp shopping

Silverbursted

This weekend was spent checking out new amps. I went to GC, BG, SA, and 2 Mom and Pop shops in the local area. I sampled a pretty fair sampling of amps to include Marshall, Laney, Fender, Orange, Mesa Boogie and a few others. But that is not my point of this thread. One of the places I went to was Sam Ash Music. Pretty impressive store, with a pretty nice selection. They had both a Marshall VM and JVM (in head format only) so I was happy I was going to be able to A/B them. Unfortunately the salesman was an annoying bugger. Every time I turned the volume up just a little, this dude would run over and turn the volume down to a point I could not hear it!!! He did this four times. I said to him, I have money in my pocket to buy an amp, but I need to hear it. He tells me he needs to be able to hear the phone in case it rings. So I'm thinking thats pretty friggin lame, how about stay by the phone and leave me alone then. So I say to the guy, you would rather answer the phone, then sell me an amp? Oh no, that's why we have a money back guarantee, in case you get it home and don't like it. I looked him right in the eye and told him he was an idiot, put my guitar away and walked out. I did not miss the opportunity to tell the store manager he just lost a sale because of his salesman as I walked out.

Insane.

This makes me think of my friend who is a bus driver. He is told he has to be at particular places at set times on route by his company. He jokes "sometimes I don't have time to stop at the bus stops to pick people up as I have to finish the route on schedule"

Matt

Sam Ash Music.

Oh no' date=' that's why we have a money back guarantee, in case you get it home and don't like it.

I looked him right in the eye and told him he was an idiot, put my guitar away and walked out.

I did not miss the opportunity to tell the store manager he just lost a sale [/quote']

There's a kindly older gentleman there named Greer, pretty quiet guy.

He's a good cat, the rest are indeed in the vocational rotation with Guitar Center - coming and going.

F-ing moron should have picked up on a clue or two when you brought your OWN guitar in.

Les Paul, I presume?

Damn SB....

They simply had no clue who they were dealing with.

No offense intended - please don't take it that way - but you don't look like a 14 year old ****** kid to me.

:-

That salesperson was a dolt...I thought that the idiots all worked at GC?

One thing I have noticed about my local GC is that they do let you test the tubes on a good valve amp!!

Unfortunately alot of times it's some kid that has no business testing out tubes.:-

There's a kindly older gentleman there named Greer' date=' pretty quiet guy.

He's a good cat, the rest are indeed in the vocational rotation with Guitar Center - coming and going.

F-ing moron should have picked up on a clue or two when you brought your OWN guitar in.

Les Paul, I presume?

Damn SB....

They simply had no clue who they were dealing with.

No offense intended - please don't take it that way - but you don't look like a 14 year old ****** kid to me.

=P~

[/quote']

Oh yea, brought my R9 with me, and everyone in the store came over to see it.

There is always some sort of profiling going on in retail, just to size up who you may be dealing with. Lets see, wearing my Breitling watch (excuse me, time piece), Tommy Bahama shirt (85 degrees and sunny, sorry to my Canadian friends), and oh yea, a Gibson 59 Reissue Les Paul!!! I guess he missed that day of training. I don't think I will be buying there. First impressions and all.

Archived