Gibson Brands Forums

Post your V

Laney1566

This thread is damaging to my wallet.

I had a Vee when I was 14 years old (1984) and hated it because it was "too hard to play."

D'oh!

I sadly ended up with a Harmony Strat copy worth around $25

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ps... I'll leave out my original Chet Atkins garage find in 1981. If I only still had THAT one too *smh*

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Cabba that white V is stunning! Very classy! I've been getting bored with my 2005 Faded V, which is stock except for the bridge p/u (SD Dimebucker, not what I would've chosen but I'll keep it in there for now.) I'm thinking of switching to a black pickguard & truss rod cover, a gold TP-6 bridge and gold Grovers...I always liked gold and black hardware on dark red guitars...Also wondering about installing one of those rubber anti-slip grip pads on the bottom edge, like some of the older V's have on them (recently the only ones I've seen with those are the Epiphones.) Anyone know if Allparts or someone else makes one of those? Does it sit recessed in the body? (In which case I might skip it, I don't trust myself that much with a router.)

Cabba that white V is stunning! Very classy! I've been getting bored with my 2005 Faded V, which is stock except for the bridge p/u (SD Dimebucker, not what I would've chosen but I'll keep it in there for now.) I'm thinking of switching to a black pickguard & truss rod cover, a gold TP-6 bridge and gold Grovers...I always liked gold and black hardware on dark red guitars...Also wondering about installing one of those rubber anti-slip grip pads on the bottom edge, like some of the older V's have on them (recently the only ones I've seen with those are the Epiphones.) Anyone know if Allparts or someone else makes one of those? Does it sit recessed in the body? (In which case I might skip it, I don't trust myself that much with a router.)

LOL - that beautiful white V belongs to Laaz, I wish it were mine.

I was just quoting the photo for complementing him on a fine guitar.

Before I put the steel pickguard on my 1981 black V,

I had a black pickguard with a "brushed aluminum effect" from WD Music Products.

Looks like it isn't offered in that finish anymore, but they do have a couple of versions of Black:

http://www.wdmusic.com/gibson_flying_v_pickguard_fv-1701.html

Here's what it looked like when all blacked out:

81V.jpg

At the time I could not find a black truss cover with the logo,

so I contacted Gibson and they found a black V truss cover from a Goth V (Black/silver logo)

out on the floor and sent it too me. That was really cool of them to do that, free of charge too!

Here's mine. It's a 1976. I originally replaced the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio but put a Gibson back in it recently. The extra hole in the pick gaurd, now covered was for the little switch that came with the DiMarzio. Also put new knobs and recently replaced the tuners. Was my main guitar for 30 years.

IMG_1713.jpg

That V has really been yours? haha! Anyway that's a beautiful axe...can i ask why did you sell it?

LOL - Yes, it was mine. Custom Shop logo on the back and all. Here's a pic of me with it back in 1988:

chris002.jpg

The black stripe was actually a shrink wrapped "bandage" (for lack of better description) that a local luthier used to reinforce the repair done to the leg. It's a long story, but this lutier was building me a custom V when that V came in for repair.

I was always in his shop checking the progress of the custom guitar. Anyway - the V's leg was broken off by the owner's girlfriend. She had but it in the yard and drove her car over it. (at least that's the story I remember) LOL - luckily, the leg was all that got damaged. A mighty repair was done to it resulting in it's final look.

Anyway - a year later i was shoping around the local guitar shops (back when those existed [glare]) and there it was for sale. They had it priced at a "vintage" price. Well, I asked them how much they paid for it because the guitar isn't worth that high dollar amount due to the repair. I told them about the luthier that repaired it and the story. They offered it to me for $395.00 and I purchased it. I took it back to that luthier and he swapped me an EMG 81 for the pickup that was in it (yeah, I know, the vintage pup was worth more, but I was into EMG at the time) and even installed it for me. I also swapped out the pitted chrome bridge & stop bar for black replacements. The rest is history. I sold it with a bunch of other gear when I was hard up for cash and needed to get by. I wish I still had it. I sent an email to the guy who runs that website back in 2001(?) when i saw it on there as I was looking for a new V at the time and wondered if he could put me in touch with the person who submitted the pictures, but he never replied. That's when I got the 81 Black V instead. Here's a pic of the custom V the luthier made me, it's an old Gibson V neck that I had bobbed and reprofiled thin like a Jackson I had at the time (thin/fast) and a mahogany body blank. Set neck, ebony fingerbrd, MOP Skull & Crossbones inlay in the headstock, 100% custom:

fosterv.jpg

LOL - anyway sorry for the looooooooong post.

Awesome V Tman!

My very first Gibson was an old black bobbed head V like yours but mine didn't have pup rings and had witch hat knobs.

I don't remember the year, I don't even have a picture of it anymore. It was back when I had an old Polaroid camera and the picture I had finally turned so dark I threw it away. I wish I still had that guitar too.

Nice! I miss those rectangular Flying-V cases. I hate the V shaped ones.

I had a Tobacco Burst reissue with the Rectangular case and pink insides.

burstv002.jpg

wow those tobacco burst ones are always nice pretty much all "burst" guitars look awesome.and I didnt even know they made V shaped cases. lol guse im not up to date

Archived