Gibson Brands Forums

Post your V

Laney1566

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got this from CL today. The pups in it are really sh!tty but the guitar is in fine working order overall. I plan to keep the aluminum diamond plate PG and replace neck with Warmoth Ken Lawrence style and refinish the whole thing olympic white and Sperzels and swpa pups. Not sure which pups yet.

v.jpg

I just got this from CL today. The pups in it are really sh!tty but the guitar is in fine working order overall. I plan to keep the aluminum diamond plate PG and replace neck with Warmoth Ken Lawrence style and refinish the whole thing olympic white and Sperzels and swpa pups. Not sure which pups yet.

v.jpg

Hell Yeah! Very metal! I dig it. [thumbup]

Congrats on your new acquisition! (The Grand Nagas would approve)

Haha...that's what I was hoping for. Perhaps, I'll check out those Lace HBs like you have now that GC and Sam Ash started carrying them.

Yeah, check them out. LACE "Drop & Gain", here's a link with info:

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/drop_gain/drop_gain_specs.php

Very impressive passive pup! I've grown to like them a lot.

Yeah, check them out. LACE "Drop & Gain", here's a link with info:

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/drop_gain/drop_gain_specs.php

Very impressive passive pup! I've grown to like them a lot.

And I am assuming they are good for standard tuning? After reading the description, they are def a front runner. Minor detail, but I'm hoping for chrome covered pups (to go w/ the pg, tuners and other HW) which is why I looked at the Lace Hemi. Ultimately sound is most important. D&G sounds VERY tempting. Do you have any sound clips of yours?

And I am assuming they are good for standard tuning? After reading the description, they are def a front runner. Minor detail, but I'm hoping for chrome covered pups (to go w/ the pg, tuners and other HW) which is why I looked at the Lace Hemi. Ultimately sound is most important. D&G sounds VERY tempting. Do you have any sound clips of yours?

Yes, they sound good tuned standard A 440 as well.

No sound clips of them yet. I didn't get those guitars before recording the last album we did, but I do plan to use them

on the new one we are writing for at the moment. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try to make one for you.

It will be using my PODX3 tho...I don't have any mics here right now, snowed in from our studio.

Yes, they sound good tuned standard A 440 as well.

No sound clips of them yet. I didn't get those guitars before recording the last album we did, but I do plan to use them

on the new one we are writing for at the moment. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try to make one for you.

It will be using my PODX3 tho...I don't have any mics here right now, snowed in from our studio.

my singer had a great idea. 2 pg set ups to switch. That's exactly what I'm gonna do and get a PG set up with the Lace D&Gs and something else....probably EMG 81/60 (chrome) when I play Metallica stuff.

• 1 year later...

No Gibson V's but a V none the less.Bought both of these scratch and dent MF,have had the dean forever,cost $125 due to some scratches on the back and one on the front which i hid w/ stickers.The Jackson was level 4 unplayable due to one fret had turned up at the end,my tech reglued all the frets and level them,$147 for the git,40ish for repairs.Got a Guild Burnside too but alrdy posted that in the 'beater/ugly guitars' post.Some very nice Gibsons you guys posted btw,envious.

No Gibson V's but a V none the less.Bought both of these scratch and dent MF,have had the dean forever,cost $125 due to some scratches on the back and one on the front which i hid w/ stickers.The Jackson was level 4 unplayable due to one fret had turned up at the end,my tech reglued all the frets and level them,$147 for the git,40ish for repairs.Got a Guild Burnside too but alrdy posted that in the 'beater/ugly guitars' post.Some very nice Gibsons you guys posted btw,envious.

I like the one with the Randy Rhoads paint job. That's ace! [thumbup]

I like the one with the Randy Rhoads paint job. That's ace! [thumbup]

Its only stickers Twiz,pack of 500 @ walmart for $2,but thanks for the compliment 'thinking' it was paint.Was a pain in the arse to layoff,used a yard stick and a white pencil lol.That git actually has a mortar launcher attatched to the back of the head,i did plenty of practice shots and used it once live at an outside gig.Taped thin spkr wire down the bk of the neck,to a project box my drummer made,1 toggle to power on,1 to fire.I didnt see a reason to remove it,and if it did blow the neck up,the git only cost $125 but all went well.Heres a pic i just took on my cell.Heres the link to the original thread. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/82569-betcha-havent-done-this/page__p__1129510__hl__%2Bbet+%2Byou+%2Bhavent+%2Bdone+%2Bthis__fromsearch__1#entry1129510

Its only stickers Twiz,pack of 500 @ walmart for $2,but thanks for the compliment 'thinking' it was paint.Was a pain in the arse to layoff,used a yard stick and a white pencil lol.That git actually has a mortar launcher attatched to the back of the head,i did plenty of practice shots and used it once live at an outside gig.Taped thin spkr wire down the bk of the neck,to a project box my drummer made,1 toggle to power on,1 to fire.I didnt see a reason to remove it,and if it did blow the neck up,the git only cost $125 but all went well.Heres a pic i just took on my cell.Heres the link to the original thread. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/82569-betcha-havent-done-this/page__p__1129510__hl__%2Bbet+%2Byou+%2Bhavent+%2Bdone+%2Bthis__fromsearch__1#entry1129510

Haha! Woa. That's awesome. The stickers look cool. I bet you could even lacquer over them at some point if need be. I don't know much about finishing guitars though.

This be my new baby just last week actually !!! A 50th anniversary Flying V - number 0169 of 1000 made. Running it through my Marshall DSL 50 with a 4 x 12 loaded with greenbacks and it sounds outstanding.

Congrats on your new to you V! I really like the 50th Ann. model V's. Cool guitar!

Rewd.

Here's my '07 V and my Epi Iommi SG

IMG_0251.jpg

Hey Samiam, was wondering how you like the pickups on the Epi Iommi SG? What do they sound like? I have an Epi Custom Prophecy SG Gx and I play the heck out of it. It has the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups and is just easy to play as is my Schecter flying V. Don't get me wrong. They are not necessarily my fave guitars but are excellent in the foreign made class of guitars.

Hey Samiam, was wondering how you like the pickups on the Epi Iommi SG? What do they sound like? I have an Epi Custom Prophecy SG Gx and I play the heck out of it. It has the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups and is just easy to play as is my Schecter flying V. Don't get me wrong. They are not necessarily my fave guitars but are excellent in the foreign made class of guitars.

Both the bridge and neck Iommis are hot and very dark, the neck pup actually being the louder of the two. In a way the Iommi set is like a bassier version of the V's 496R/500T set and so I don't have to change my setup's EQ settings when switching between guitars other than the instrument controls. On the SG though I pretty much stick to using the bridge pup alone (with the tone dialed down a bit) or both pups at full tone with distortion and the neck alone or both pups for cleans. I love the set but I can see how they won't be versatile enough for everybody. The only reason I got the SG was to have guitar that I can play while slouching on the couch and now I'm finding myself grabbing it more often than the V!

Archived