Gibson Brands Forums

My first Gibson...

JHall

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and just picked up my first Gibson last night. I don't know if I've quite "earned" it , but I've played casually for just over 10-15 years, and can't help but wonder why I'm still not that good. My first guitar was a Vantage Avenger, which played (and still plays) pretty well for the price my dad paid for it at a garage sale ($). I think I was 17 at the time. Since I started I'd always wanted a Les Paul, so two and a half years ago I bought an Epiphone and a Marshall amp. But now I'm all grown up (don't tell anyone...;) ). I decided I'd rather be a 31 year old with a bad *** guitar than a 31 year old who plays video games. So between the money from selling my xbox stuff (there was a lot of it) and my income tax return......

I have a new Gibson Custom Shop Slash VOS!!!

My dad did a great job of raising me on the likes of Jeff Beck, Satriani, Vai, Greg Howe, and the like, but Slash has always been my favourite...something about the Les Paul, the Marshall stack and the tophat, not sure why. I'm so stoked, I may even try to get better at playing it...maybe even lessons.

Peace

JHall

ps - Sorry for the long post, I'm waiting for photobucket to upload the photo's...

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

JHall, lessons are well worth the investment. I take weekly lessons from a college student who is currently in a real band. Fortunate for me, the style of music he plays professionally is exactly the style of music I enjoy. Just make sure your instructor is one who can teach music and not just a TAB reader. You will have a much greater appreciation.

Gotta love Rock n Roll!!!

Is the finish different on this guitar? It looks a little more 'faded' than the normal glossy LP. I know Slash's original LP copy always looked like it had a duller finish (I just assumed because it was a copy)...did that carry over to the signature, or is it just the photos?

No it is faded to look exactly the way it looked when he received it from Gibson in 1988, before leaving for the "Appetite for Destruction" tour. I guess he was given two new ones, and he got them refinished because they looked to new. Pretty awesome. They explain it better than I do on the site.

http://www.gibson.com/Slash/Gibson%20Custom/GibsonCustomSlashInspired/

I'm all for playing guitars that look like they've done some road time, but I don't know...the faux fading just looks kind of...bad. It looks cheap to me, not quite natural. Kind of cheapens the guitar in a way. But hey, whatever floats Slash's boat.

Who'm I kidding though, I'd murder to have a guitar like that.

JHall' date=' lessons are well worth the investment. I take weekly lessons from a college student who is currently in a real band. Fortunate for me, the style of music he plays professionally is exactly the style of music I enjoy. Just make sure your instructor is one who can teach [b']music [/b]and not just a TAB reader. You will have a much greater appreciation.

Hey-- I read TABs! But then again I have a reason, it's not because I'm lazy, it's because I was afraid I would mix up the fingering of my guitar with my violin (that I've been playing for much longer than my guitar) and vice versa. And that would be bad because I'm the type who plays solo in front of judges #-o

Very nice guitar by the way, JHall. It's beautiful.

I was concerned that someone might think I was knocking TAB, hell thats the way I learn all the songs I play. My point was, you can read TAB yourself, but understanding the mechanics and theory is very important. My first teacher was pretty good and mimicking songs, but could not explain how notes were assembled, I suppose it is in my nature to ask WHY. It's true that many of the greatest guitarists were never classically trained, but there are just as many who were. Personal choice of course, but it certainly steepened my learning curve.

Lot's of good advice in the previous posts.

However, I did the same for my kid as your parents are going to do for you. He is eleven years old and has a Les Paul Standard Silverburst, a Marshall JVM410H amplifier and a Marshall 1960A speaker cabinet. He started out with the Squier Strat Pack. A few months and several exchanges later we ended up with the current gear.

He's been taking lessons for a year now and I'm sure that part of the reason he still loves playing guitar is due to his gear. I thought it best to go all out and get excellent gear up front rather than end up with a bunch of crappy guitars under his bed (money down the drain) as we eventually upgraded every six months or year.

If possible, try to get a tube amp with your Gibson. Makes a world of difference. My advice would be to get a Standard - as there is no need for a Custom Shop guitar, yet.

Good luck and keep taking lessons. Don't let your parents down by quitting after they've made such an investment.

JHall' date=' lessons are well worth the investment. I take weekly lessons from a college student who is currently in a real band. Fortunate for me, the style of music he plays professionally is exactly the style of music I enjoy. Just make sure your instructor is one who can teach [b']music [/b]and not just a TAB reader. You will have a much greater appreciation.

I know music theory etc pretty well. 9 years of piano lessons as a kid will do that to you. I definately need a refresher course though. Most of it translates to guitar, but I really have no idea of guitar scales of anything, just what I can do by ear myself, which isn't much. I also just found out our music teacher is leaving next year, and I am the new music teacher (small highschool, not band program, just vocal). I suggested instead of vocal I could teach an intro guitar class, and viola, I'm now a "professional" musician. Just need to brush up on a few things before September....so I'll definately be taking some lessons this summer.

JHall

Archived